Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cino MMXXI

Old 06-20-21, 09:41 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Well....dang.....

I just realized I actually already have leave off work for this timeperiod with no set plans. Then I realized with the massive sell off recently of so many bikes I may not have anything to ride. The Opus III is probably my only real option but I'd need to get some much larger and tougher tubulars on it or at least switch back to the clinchers it used to have and see if I could at least fit 700 x 28 tires on it. Have to check the rules I guess but I imagine I'll also need to put the original pedals and clips back on it. I have climbed an 8 mile C2 route with this despite just a 42T small ring. Wasn't fun but not really that hard.

Hmmmm.....wonder if the Guv'nor would meet the rules. S/A 3 speed and certainly in the spirit I would think. Wonder if the knees would make it though, LOL!

Hmmmm, am I hard enough to get this beast up the climbs????

I need to think about this. Sure would be fun but I'm not sure if I have the bike for it anymore.
Old 06-20-21, 10:32 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 3,771 Times in 664 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Well....dang.....

I just realized I actually already have leave off work for this timeperiod with no set plans. Then I realized with the massive sell off recently of so many bikes I may not have anything to ride.
I need to think about this. Sure would be fun but I'm not sure if I have the bike for it anymore.
Flimsy excuse :-) You have plenty of time to slap a compact crank on that Fuji and make it work.
Cino ain't about perfection and you won't be alone being 'under biked'.
If it were me, I'd lower that seat just a little, raise the bars at bit and use a clincher wheel set w/28mm's - something tough like gatorskins.. Pump em up hard to avoid pinch flats and you're good to go.

Oh, and don't forget to tighten those chainring bolts!
Hope to see you there, jamesdak!
Likes For northbend:
Old 06-20-21, 10:42 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 269 Posts
Well....dang.....

I just realized I actually already have leave off work for this timeperiod with no set plans. Then I realized with the massive sell off recently of so many bikes I may not have anything to ride. The Opus III is probably my only real option but I'd need to get some much larger and tougher tubulars on it or at least switch back to the clinchers it used to have and see if I could at least fit 700 x 28 tires on it. Have to check the rules I guess but I imagine I'll also need to put the original pedals and clips back on it. I have climbed an 8 mile C2 route with this despite just a 42T small ring. Wasn't fun but not really that hard.

Originally Posted by northbend
Flimsy excuse :-) You have plenty of time to slap a compact crank on that Fuji and make it work.
If it were me, I'd lower that seat just a little, raise the bars at bit and use a clincher wheel set w/28mm's - something tough like gatorskins.. Pump em up hard to avoid pinch flats and you're good to go.

Do it, do it, do it jamesdak... it would be great to meet you!
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 06-20-21, 01:30 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by northbend

Oh, if I do it I'm doing it with the 42! Just got out the old set of clinchers for this and mounted a set of vittoria randonneur 700x32 I had laying around. They fit and clear on the old, narrow GP 4 rims. According to my calipers they are about 28mm in actual size right now. I could get maybe a tad larger on there. So I guess I need to see if a set of Gatorskins or maybe Gravel Kings would measure true to size and fit.

Funny thing is the Randonneur are so small that they are about the same width as the Veloflex Roubaix tubulars I just put on this.

Guess I better get the knees into the mountains and see how it goes this week. Spent all last year without any climbing due to knees issues. First two climbing rides were this past week with about a 10 mile ascent Friday as part of a 50 mile ride. Knees did fine but the legs sure aren't what they normally are in the mountains.
Old 06-20-21, 01:42 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,740 Times in 1,498 Posts
Squirtdad it registered. Heaven help me I have to get serious about training and weight loss.......and of course my son sent me some nice hazy ipa for fathers day
and I need to get busy swapping some parts on the 84 Team miyata to get be a little lower gearing

now to drive planning as part of this drive involves stops in Bozeman (brother) Helena (brother) and Chinook MT (Dad)

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-20-21, 02:20 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Just to note.....If you are in a rush like me.....keep scrolling....don't stop at the ride registration, keep scrolling for the camp and extra meal selections. but If you do miss them, really easy to just go back and add....don't try to modify the original reservation.

Good job mountaindave

Last edited by squirtdad; 06-20-21 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-20-21, 02:39 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Well....dang.....

Hmmmm.....wonder if the Guv'nor would meet the rules. S/A 3 speed and certainly in the spirit I would think. Wonder if the knees would make it though, LOL!

Go man, go!
Old 06-20-21, 07:06 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
I'll be seeing y'all there, too. Trying to coordinate with Alex Moll on driving/hotels, so I'm not sure on accommodations yet, but I registered this afternoon. I might test out my tent in Hot Springs, who knows?

2014 saw me under-geared. For 2021 my weapon of choice will be the Davidson with 8-speed Ergo. Perhaps not as heroic as a pantographed '83 Colnago Mexico, but my knees will appreciate my choice

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 06-26-21, 06:39 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,127 Posts
I'm in!
My wife and I will be camping at the hot springs the nights of the 27th and 28th.

I'll be riding either this:

or this (almost complete now):

I'll be hopelessly under geared in either case, but isn't that half the challenge?

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you!
Brent

Last edited by obrentharris; 06-27-21 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Didn't make any sense.
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 06-27-21, 08:11 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
I'm in!
My wife and I will be camping at the hot springs the nights of the 27th and 28th.

I'll be riding either this:

or this (almost complete now):

I'll be hopelessly under geared in either case, but isn't that half the challenge?

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you!
Brent
the Mondia with a smaller inner ring
Old 06-27-21, 11:37 AM
VRJAKE 

Bikes: Bakers dozen is the limit!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 137 Posts
I'm in! Will look into hotel in Hot Springs!
Likes For VRJAKE:
Old 06-27-21, 02:16 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4669 Post(s)
Liked 5,768 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by VRJAKE
I'm in! Will look into hotel in Hot Springs!
Well, I keep seeing you're in Portland, and I need to train for this thing! PM me if interested.

Symes in Hot Springs is the @northbend BKM for this ride.
Old 06-28-21, 08:25 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked 965 Times in 483 Posts
Funny thing is the Randonneur are so small that they are about the same width as the Veloflex Roubaix tubulars I just put on this.
The Vittorias are notorious for being undersized. I used them on my wife’s bike and they were typically a whole size smaller.

Northbend’s advice is spot on. The three speed would be fantastic! (We’ve seen them before - in fact one from ‘32 that only had two out of three speeds functioning!) But the Opus would be lovely as well!

Last edited by mountaindave; 06-28-21 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-28-21, 08:29 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked 965 Times in 483 Posts
We’re going to have to have a BF photo taken of the survivors champions!
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 06-28-21, 10:09 AM
squirtdad

Well....dang.....

jamesdak option for bigger tubies would be the Vittoria Corsa Control in 30mm I can fit them on my 85 team miyata. they measure true to size and are supposed to be the replacement for the pave

Last edited by squirtdad; 06-28-21 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-28-21, 01:28 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 253 Posts
Well, after talking it over with my new bride and also a green light from my Dr, I'm in. Got registered and we have a room at Symes for 8/27-29. Will just assume continued progress, and keep training. Expect to ride the 71 Stella I had ready for the cancelled 2020 Cino, and will finish up the 69 Grand Record that was going to be my 2020 backup. Have even considered switching to my newly acquired Vitus 979 for day 2 and that eternally long hill, but I have to see what tires will fit and how it does off road. Don
Likes For ollo_ollo:
Old 06-29-21, 12:00 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Anybody else plan on staying at the Whitefish Bike Retreat? Myself and Alex are booked there in one of the 2 bunkbed men's rooms. The rate is a very reasonable $55 per night per head. There are still available rooms. Pretty interesting adventure vibe from what I can tell

https://www.whitefishbikeretreat.com/

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 06-29-21, 05:01 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Anybody else plan on staying at the Whitefish Bike Retreat? Myself and Alex are booked there in one of the 2 bunkbed men's rooms. The rate is a very reasonable $55 per night per head. There are still available rooms. Pretty interesting adventure vibe from what I can tell

DD
I camped here last year, it's a great spot to stay. I even nosed around the hostel area, everything is super nice. And there's a trail that takes you right over to a lake there too. It is a bit out of town, but it's a cool place.
Likes For mechanicmatt:
Old 06-29-21, 05:45 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by mountaindave
The Vittorias are notorious for being undersized. I used them on my wife’s bike and they were typically a whole size smaller.

Northbend’s advice is spot on. The three speed would be fantastic! (We’ve seen them before - in fact one from ‘32 that only had two out of three speeds functioning!) But the Opus would be lovely as well!
Still trying to figure this one out logistically. This ol' geezer needs his CPAC to sleep and with my back camping is out. Reality of life sucks sometimes, LOL!
Old 06-29-21, 06:55 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 269 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindave
We’re going to have to have a BF photo taken of the survivors champions!
This is shaping up to be a great opportunity to meet a lot of folks here, really looking forward to it!
Old 06-29-21, 08:49 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude

DD
No, but I was going to recommend the Whitefish B&B where I stayed in 2019 when I scouted the Cino route couple weeks before Cino: 1 of the oldest homes/cheapest rate in the area, it made Symes look like Trump Hotel, Vegas! But was a place to lay your head with clean bedding. Couldn't find it, so apparently no longer operating. Don
Old 06-29-21, 09:50 AM
squirtdad

[QUOTE=jamesdak;22122201]Still trying to figure this one out logistically. This ol' geezer needs his CPAC to sleep and with my back camping is out. Reality of life sucks sometimes, LOL![/QUOTE

I resemble that....damn cpap

jamesdak I just took the @gugie route and booked symes hot springs

they currently have a fair amount of availability....mostly rooms with sink and toliet....not full bath and they are cheap

Prices Page

(406) 741-2361 | (888) 305-3106

Old 06-29-21, 12:04 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
Band a couple of guys together and chip in on a Kalispel Air BnB and rental car if needed. Drive a short way to Kila for the start, leave the car there, drive it back to the BnB after. Only one night at Hot Springs and less backy-forthy driving. No room left at the house we rented, but it was pretty easy to find one.
Old 06-29-21, 12:31 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 482 Posts
I'm in! Now I get to hang out with the cool kids. Still have to work out transportation and lodgings, but I will be riding. Plan A is to fly in and get a rental car. However, if I can find someone to join me to share the driving it might be feasible to drive (16 hours each way though...could probably leave late on Thursday and arrive Friday afternoon). A question regarding Sunday...would it make sense to depart after getting back to Kila or are there festivities and awards ceremonies going on into the night (also what about the truck with our stuff from Hot Springs?)?

Pretty sure that I'll be riding my Cinelli Special Corsa. How could I not? After all, it was built by a guy named Cino.

1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa

Likes For davester:
Old 06-29-21, 12:35 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4669 Post(s)
Liked 5,768 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Band a couple of guys together and chip in on a Kalispel Air BnB and rental car if needed. Drive a short way to Kila for the start, leave the car there, drive it back to the BnB after. Only one night at Hot Springs and less backy-forthy driving. No room left at the house we rented, but it was pretty easy to find one.
Regardless of where you stay, Kila is a tiny community with no hotels or other places to stay that I know of, so you'll be driving to the start no matter where you stay. It's a 75 minute drive from Hot Springs. By staying three nights (Friday-Sunday) in Hot Springs you can leave all your stuff in one place.

Any Air BnB place will almost assuredly be nicer than Symes Hot Springs. For me, the skankiness has a certain appeal.

Regardless, there'll be a big party in Hot Springs Saturday night, and it'll be great seeing old friends and meeting new Forum members!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.