Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Dolan DF4 Dropout Issue

Old 10-31-17, 09:14 PM
Koogar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkWW
They're saying the track end splays because the track nuts are overtightened. If you use the adjusters, you don't need to tighten down as much, in theory. Felt said the same thing to me when they replaced my track end inserts. Squeeze something in the x direction (like with track nuts), it'll want to push in the y or z direction. That'll cause the splaying.
Yup, I've seen the same thing happen on a couple of different aluminum frames. Related problems include damaging or wearing the track nuts faster (which encourages tightening down even more) and breaking axles trying to tighten things down enough to prevent wheel pull. In such cases, the metal insert is often designed mostly to prevent surface wear, not prevent compression damage.
Old 11-01-17, 12:57 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
I love chain tensioners.
Old 11-19-20, 10:46 PM
Clythio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
There's one way to tell if it's from over-tightening or if the ends are simply weaker than needed.

If someone can find a pic we can see if the spreading is at the same angle from horizontal for both top and bottom parts of the track end OR if only the top one is spreading and the bottom remains intact.

If it's the former, then it's from over-tightening. If it's the latter, then it's from not-strong-enough track end system.
Sorry for digging an old subject, but a friend of mine just bought an used 1st gen DF4 from a local team, with the described problem.
It opens in both direction, as the same time it was smashed and deformed by nuts in the past (I don't know which kind of nuts were used here, but I suspected that cheap, flat, non-floating nuts from training wheels were usually used).
Old 11-20-20, 03:36 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Yep, take it easy, gorilla-types. Mine are still fine, even after dreaded former owner mechanical-pariah life (I'm looking at you, Ken Lo...).

In another life I ws a bicycle mechanic. In the next life I was a motorcycle mechanic. I have found that most people do not have a good sense of how tight a nut/bolt/screw needs to be, and that it is a finely developed sense. Please careful be.

Last edited by Baby Puke; 11-20-20 at 03:40 AM.
Old 11-20-20, 03:52 AM
ruudlaff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Clythio
Sorry for digging an old subject, but a friend of mine just bought an used 1st gen DF4 from a local team, with the described problem.
It opens in both direction, as the same time it was smashed and deformed by nuts in the past (I don't know which kind of nuts were used here, but I suspected that cheap, flat, non-floating nuts from training wheels were usually used).
Good lord.