Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I did it guys... my first fall!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-17-20, 07:34 PM
JS41989

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL5 Comp Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts

So I finally made the transition from platform to clipless pedals today, and I beefed it! I was attempting to clip back in after being stopped at a light. I missed the pedal with my right foot while I was locked in with my left, not enough momentum and I toppled over.

On a positive note, I didn't fall the rest of the ride and I really enjoyed the experience. I ended up with Shimano Ultegra PD-R8000 Pedals with Specialized Torch 2.0 Road Shoes. Very comfortable set up.

Last edited by JS41989; 07-17-20 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-17-20, 07:48 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Glad you weren't hurt.
Old 07-17-20, 07:51 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Been there done that
Old 07-17-20, 09:35 PM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
EVERYONE has messed up when they went to clipless... no big deal... welcome to the club
Old 07-17-20, 09:50 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Won't be the last unfortunately.
Likes For znomit:
Old 07-17-20, 10:01 PM
thenewjs

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Yep, I fell in an intersection my first time. New clips are always tricky, normally clip in and out a bunch of times when I use new clips. It rounds them off and makes it easier to get out.
Old 07-18-20, 06:54 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Welcome to a very large club! Glad you didn’t get injured, other than your ego.
Old 07-18-20, 07:46 AM
mattscq

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
I've been clipless for a few months now and it's second nature but just about a couple weeks ago (maybe it was last week), I tried unclipping my left foot instead of my right at a stop (I wanted to tighten my right show) and I toppled over towards the right. I had to explain to the driver next to me I was fine a few times before she drove away.

Such things happen…
Old 07-18-20, 08:14 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by JS41989
So I finally made the transition from platform to clipless pedals today, and I beefed it! I was attempting to clip back in after being stopped at a light. I missed the pedal with my right foot while I was locked in with my left, not enough momentum and I toppled over.
Welcome to the club.. it'll be become 2nd nature eventually.. and you'll also realize that in your circumstance, your left foot would likely have been capable to pull up enough to keep your momentum while you futzed with your right (one legged pedaling). Unless maybe you were somewhere stopped and heading up a steepish hill.
Old 07-18-20, 08:45 AM
JS41989

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL5 Comp Disc

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Welcome to the club.. it'll be become 2nd nature eventually.. and you'll also realize that in your circumstance, your left foot would likely have been capable to pull up enough to keep your momentum while you futzed with your right (one legged pedaling). Unless maybe you were somewhere stopped and heading up a steepish hill.
It was a flat, and I definitely thought about that later... "I'm clipped in I can just keep moving my left foot and keep the bike up." but hindsight is 20/20 ha! I practiced in the hallway for about 30 minutes last night.
Likes For JS41989:
Old 07-18-20, 10:22 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,852 Times in 6,069 Posts
When I went clipless, was living on a very quiet street. I clipped my left foot in at the top of my driveway and as I rolled down I was trying to clip my right foot in, but missed it a couple times, and suddenly the curb on the other side of the street loomed into view, just before I hit it at 2 mph.

That was the last time I fell doing that, but lordy! There have been so many NEAR falls! Like later that day, on the way home from work, when I rolled up to a stop light and tried to lift my foot off the pedal and couldn't. Luckily in my panic I apparently twisted my foot enough to unclip, or I'd have topped in front of a bunch of drivers! How embarrassing! Or like hitting a red light on a climb, and trying to start up only to have my back wheel hit the rain-slick paint stripe before I managed to get clipped in!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-18-20, 10:25 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Your last sentence made me snicker. Talk about an “oh s***!” moment...!
Old 07-18-20, 10:38 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Honestly its a rite of passage regardless of what others state. Some say they have never fallen over when they went to this method but I have a hard time believing it.

So kudos......you now know what it is like and will not be so surprised if it occurs again.
Old 07-18-20, 11:03 AM
ccrrar

Bikes: Calfee Luna Pro w/ full Campy Record, Trek Domane SL7

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have been riding clipless for 20 years and still toppled over last week. First time in more than 5 years. It just happens sometimes. My skinned elbow is all better now.
Old 07-18-20, 11:45 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Welcome to the club!

I had my first fall about a month after going clipless. I also fell about two weeks ago, after putting in something like 25,000 miles using clipless. It happens.
Old 07-18-20, 12:09 PM
OUGrad05

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome to the club! I've fallen over twice, both within my first week.

First time was uber embarrassing, in my own damn drive way. Started going, tried to clip in, thought I was about there and like you, not enough momentum and I fell over. Second time pulling up to a stop light that turned red last minute, this was maybe my second ride with clipless pedals and I forgot to unclip, by the time I remembered I unclipped the wrong foot lmao...now that you've gotten it out of the way, here's to happy riding for years to come
Old 07-18-20, 02:50 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,852 Times in 6,069 Posts
The street I live on now is 1) busy and 2) crowned. So now I push off in the driveway when it's clear and try I clip in before the crown of the road steals all my momentum. And because I generally fail, I almost always end up pulling up with the clipped-in foot to get to the other side, because even if there's not much traffic I don't want to be caught in the middle of the street.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-18-20, 03:19 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I've done it several times long ago thankfully. It's the sort of thing that usually happens when the maximum number of others are around to witness it.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-18-20, 04:04 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I've done it several times long ago thankfully. It's the sort of thing that usually happens when the maximum number of others are around to witness it.
haha yes

happened to me at the transition in my first triathlon

my
Old 07-18-20, 05:17 PM
BkSaGo

Bikes: CAAD9 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I’ve only had one fall (so far) in about 8 years of clipless riding, and unlike most stories here, nobody saw it. I managed to fall in my driveway at the end of a ride. I came rolling down the driveway to the garage, lost focus for a few seconds stopping at the garage door and tumbled over at about 0 mph. Scraped up the bar end plug a tape a little bit, but I was undamaged.
Old 07-18-20, 05:54 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by BkSaGo
I’ve only had one fall (so far) in about 8 years of clipless riding, and unlike most stories here, nobody saw it. I managed to fall in my driveway at the end of a ride. I came rolling down the driveway to the garage, lost focus for a few seconds stopping at the garage door and tumbled over at about 0 mph. Scraped up the bar end plug a tape a little bit, but I was undamaged.

When I first started using clipless I thought it would be a good idea after the ride to coast to a stop in my front yard to unclip so if I fell over it would be on the grass. Sure enough I fell over in the grass several times and I finally realized that it was dumb to coast to a stop in the grass, kinda like coasting to a stop in the sand. My neighbors across the street were out on there front porch and thoroughly enjoyed it. Got a bunch of cheers and clapping.
Likes For frogman:
Old 07-19-20, 02:50 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Beach Bob
EVERYONE has messed up when they went to clipless... no big deal... welcome to the club
Not everyone.
I learn't with toe straps and cleats which did catch me out a couple of times.
Clipless are comparatively easy and I have always found it natural and easy to unclip.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 07-19-20, 07:33 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Beach Bob
Originally Posted by Dean V
Not everyone.
I learn't with toe straps and cleats which did catch me out a couple of times.
Clipless are comparatively easy and I have always found it natural and easy to unclip.
+1
Toe clips, straps and cleats were sketchy in traffic, but once you got the procedure down, converting to clip-less was a no-brainer.
Old 07-19-20, 09:42 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by JS41989

On a positive note, I didn't fall the rest of the ride and I really enjoyed the experience. I ended up with Shimano Ultegra PD-R8000 Pedals with Specialized Torch 2.0 Road Shoes. Very comfortable set up.
I never actually fell after taking off because I wasn't able to clip on my 2nd pedal, but I did fall a few times when coming to a stop because I had forgotten to un-clip. It's unavoidable, it happens to all of us.
Old 07-19-20, 11:46 AM
SSRI

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
also coming from toe clips with cleats - clipless was an easy transition.

put yours shoes cleat bolt on your maintenance check list.

loose cleats almost took me down when I tried to unclip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.