Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Spoke popping out of hole in the hub

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-21, 11:33 AM
pp09o

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi new to this forum and cycling in general. I have a mountain bike that I am trying to repair. The first thing I am starting on is the wheels. I have one spoke that pops out of the hub (where it goes in the hole at the centre of the wheel) when tightened. Any suggestions how I can keep it secure? Thank you
Old 02-01-21, 11:47 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
sounds like the head of the spoke broke off. you need to replace the spoke with the exact same length spoke. remove the busted spoke, if that is the problem, and take it to a bike shop. they should have a special rules for measuring spoke lengths.
Old 02-01-21, 11:52 AM
pp09o

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
sounds like the head of the spoke broke off. you need to replace the spoke with the exact same length spoke. remove the busted spoke, if that is the problem, and take it to a bike shop. they should have a special rules for measuring spoke lengths.
The head looks OK, doesn't appear to be snapped or bent. Could the hole be an issue?
Old 02-01-21, 11:59 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
If its the hole you have a problem, you can see visibly if the who is too large. Start by comparing the spoke head of the problem spoke to the spoke heads of the spokes next to it. If there is no noticeable difference between the problem spoke and the ones near it take it to a shop for inspection and be prepared for needing a new wheel.
Old 02-01-21, 12:02 PM
pp09o

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a photo but cannot upload it at the moment. That would give you a better idea of what the problem could be. Maybe the hole is a little too big from the spoke rubbing against it
Old 02-01-21, 12:03 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by pp09o
Hi new to this forum and cycling in general. I have a mountain bike that I am trying to repair. The first thing I am starting on is the wheels. I have one spoke that pops out of the hub (where it goes in the hole at the centre of the wheel) when tightened. Any suggestions how I can keep it secure? Thank you
This isn't going to answer your question, but it might save you some headaches.

When you're repairing a bike (unknown if this is your bike or a recent purchase), check the frame over for dents, dings, cracks at the joints, bent fork, rust, etc. Assess the headset and bottom bracket for play or roughness and correct. Then worry about the wheels. If the head of the spoke is still attached, but no longer through the hub flange, that is Very Bad News. Check your hub flanges carefully to find the spot the spoke pulled out of, and clean it before you look for cracking or deformation in the flange. Before you spend money on a new spoke, assess the rest of the wheel (bearings, rim true and brake wear) and see if you'd be better off buying new instead.
The point of all of this is to keep you from throwing good money after bad. Yes, you can make it work if you have to and there are no alternatives, but it's not wise to invest in it when the next piece of the component is close to failure.
Old 02-01-21, 12:17 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
If your issue is in fact due to the spoke hole being too big and the spoke head pops through...you could do something like I did when I broke a spoke and and couldn’t obtain one of the correct length. I have bundles of spokes from old wheels. I took a significantly longer spoke and cut the head off, and then bent it around to form a new, bigger head, and at the proper length I needed. I did the one in the picture using a hammer with the spoke clamped in the vise (actually it’s still on the wheel a year later with no issues). It should work for your oversized spoke hole. But just remember that you’ll need a somewhat longer spoke than required to do this.

Dan

Old 02-01-21, 12:18 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

if the hole is too big for the end of the spoke, and that only occurs in one place, either that one spoke is some odd size that was incorrectly used as a replacement, or the hub is damaged and needs to be replaced.

get creative with posting photos. most people use IMGUR and share the part of the image url that takes us to the image.
Old 02-01-21, 12:34 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
How about if you get a 2mm washer?
You'd have to undo the nipple, but no biggie.

These are "standard J bend spokes?
Old 02-01-21, 12:34 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

As a corollary to what Mr. Turtle says above, you can create a gallery, which we'll be able to see from clicking through to your profile. Some members even repost your pictures!
Old 02-01-21, 12:41 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
How can anyone answer if they can't see what's going on w/ your wheel? Come on OP...figure out a way to post photos, it's not that hard.
Old 02-01-21, 12:44 PM
pp09o

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all your replies. As a new member I can’t post photos or links. I’ve created an album though, not sure if it is visible. Hopefully it works
Old 02-01-21, 12:51 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Duh... you have a broken spoke.... and your hub doesn't look that good.

Old 02-01-21, 12:54 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

pick from your album:

that's definitely a broken spoke. the head snapped off. replace it.

however, I also see on the other photo that the wheel has different kinds of spokes on it. if replacing the spoke results in severely different spoke tensions on each side of the wheel, the rim is bent and no amount of truing is going to stop this from happening over and over. the rim needs to be replaced, in that case. of course, I can't diagnose that remotely, so I am telling you what to look for.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 02-01-21, 12:57 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Meh, the hub looks "well bedded". The spoke is definitely missing it's head. pp09o, we don't know what level of expertise you have, but if you bring the wheel to the LBS and ask that they fix the spoke, also ask them to check tensions all around and wheel true. If you're able to do the repair on your own, still make the effort to equalize spoke tension all the way around while you bring the wheel back to true, or risk breaking more spokes in the near future.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 02-01-21, 01:00 PM
pp09o

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks you for confirming the spoke is broken. I guess you can tell I am very inexperienced but I’m enjoying learning already.

the spokes look the same, I think it’s just the perspective of the photo that make them look different.

Am I ok to try a spoke from the rear wheel and see if it secures under tension?
Old 02-01-21, 01:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Thanks for all your replies. As a new member I can’t post photos or links. I’ve created an album though, not sure if it is visible. Hopefully it works
But you can write the url in the plain text of your post and remove the https:// and change the "." to " dot " or just put spaces between the periods/dots. Then it is no longer a URL. You won't get arrested by the spam police.
Old 02-01-21, 01:11 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

the spokes look the same, I think it’s just the perspective of the photo that make them look different.
look carefully at the logo embossed into the end of each spoke. they definitely look like more than one brand of spoke on that wheel. if that wheel is new to you, the previous owner might have broken several spokes over time. if that is the case, it's an indication that the rim is bent, and replacing spokes over and over is a game you will lose.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 02-01-21, 01:13 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I see 2 different kinds of spokes.... the wheel has been worked on before. I would buy a new wheel.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 02-01-21, 01:31 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts

Am I ok to try a spoke from the rear wheel and see if it secures under tension?
Are you asking if you can remove a rear spoke and move it to the front?
No.
Take your broken spoke out and take it to a bike shop and get a new one.
Or just take the whole wheel in.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 02-01-21, 01:54 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
You could probably use a NON Drive side rear spoke, but then you need to replace it.
Just take the spoke in to a bike shop and get a new one and not do the job twice.
If the nipple seems corroded and doesn't turn easily, get a new one of those too.
You're probably talking about $1.25.

IF you break a 2nd spoke, it's probably time to respoke the wheel. Once they start breaking, it's like popcorn popping. Slow at first and then faster....
There was one year back in the past (10?) where there was a lot of bad spokes produced. You might have a wheel from that era, since spokes have already replaced on that wheel.
How could you NOT tell that end was noticeably different from the unbroken spokes.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 02-01-21 at 02:00 PM.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 02-01-21, 02:57 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You'd think that would be completely obvious but I guess some people are just oblivious to things that are staring them right in the face. Hell, people come in to the shop every day and don't know there is a tube inside their tire.
Old 02-01-21, 03:07 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

if the spokes appear to be breaking in the same location over and over, it's probably not the spokes. the rim is the culprit. if the rim is bent, it takes more tension in that one spot to keep the rim straight, so the spokes under additional tension end up breaking.
Old 02-02-21, 12:09 PM
pp09o

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you for all the advice and assistance. I will be trying new spokes and if that fails, it’s a new rim. Thank you again!
Old 02-02-21, 01:25 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Thank you for all the advice and assistance. I will be trying new spokes and if that fails, it’s a new rim. Thank you again!
A new rim? I thought the spoke was coming loose from the hub.

An entire new wheel might be a good option. Did any wheel builder at a local shop have any view point of what to do? Not all LBS's have a wheel builder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.