Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Surly LHT OEM Bars

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Surly LHT OEM Bars

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-21, 05:43 AM
smokeycanuck

Bikes: Trek Verve, Surly Wednesday

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Surly LHT OEM Bars

My LHT came with what Surly lists on their site as "PMT 26.0 mm Silver" Other than the obvious colour and clamp diameter, does anybody know the specs or where I could find them e.g. reach/drop, flare etc? I've measured them myself roughy with a tape measure and they appear to have no flare, 440 mm wide with approx. 120 mm reach and 140 mm (+/-) drop. I find both the reach and drop more than I need/want and am considering various new bars including some compact drops. Just mostly curious what I'm working with currently but can't find any good info on PMT bars anywhere. Anybody know anything about these Surly drop bars or who makes them?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-02-21, 07:18 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I also have a LHT. For me, the stock bars are OK, but like you the long drop is not ideal. I acquired a set of Salsa Woodchippers that I am going to swap to soon. The 2021 LHT (non-disc) is outfitted with the Salsa Cowbell. This seems to me to be an admission that the PMT bars of the past were inappropriate.
Old 07-03-21, 05:53 PM
ober27

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I just got home from a ride on my 2017 LHT. I installed 46cm Woodchippers on mine a couple of years ago, I love them. Short reach, shallow drop and comfortable flare and sweep make them feel really good to me. Of course I had to replace the stem to make them work, but that was an opportunity to choose a stem that put the bars exactly where I'm most comfortable.
Old 07-05-21, 06:39 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by smokeycanuck
My LHT came with what Surly lists on their site as "PMT 26.0 mm Silver" Other than the obvious colour and clamp diameter, does anybody know the specs or where I could find them e.g. reach/drop, flare etc? I've measured them myself roughy with a tape measure and they appear to have no flare, 440 mm wide with approx. 120 mm reach and 140 mm (+/-) drop. I find both the reach and drop more than I need/want and am considering various new bars including some compact drops. Just mostly curious what I'm working with currently but can't find any good info on PMT bars anywhere. Anybody know anything about these Surly drop bars or who makes them?

Thanks in advance
your measuring tape work is sufficient, and want to emphasize and encourage you to look into bars with more shallow reach and drop.
More compact drop , combined with steerer height and actual stem choice, can make all the difference to allowing drops to be a lot more comfortable using with a headwind.
Also I've become a real fan of slight flare also, and the cowbells I have on my troll are a good option--but it seems that there are lots of similar options out there now.

remember, bar measurements generally are middle to middle (of the tubing)
Look up bar spec diagrams to get the picture, literally, so you can compare to your present bars.
my cowbells cost me about 75, 80 canucks bucks, but that was 5 years ago.
Old 07-05-21, 05:25 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Keep in mind that some people mount the brake levers up higher on drop bars than other people, and the shape of the bend will also change the amount of reach when you do that.

And if you use bar end shifters, the end point of the bar may be different than your other bars. I use bar end shifters on two touring bikes, on one bike the shifters are about two inches further back than on the other bike.

If you live near a bike shop with a well stocked display of different bars, you might want to see if they let you bring your bike into the store so you can hold the different bars up against your existing bars so you can compare both brake position and also shifter position if you use bar end shifters.
Old 07-06-21, 04:18 PM
smokeycanuck

Bikes: Trek Verve, Surly Wednesday

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Keep in mind that some people mount the brake levers up higher on drop bars than other people, and the shape of the bend will also change the amount of reach when you do that.

And if you use bar end shifters, the end point of the bar may be different than your other bars. I use bar end shifters on two touring bikes, on one bike the shifters are about two inches further back than on the other bike.

If you live near a bike shop with a well stocked display of different bars, you might want to see if they let you bring your bike into the store so you can hold the different bars up against your existing bars so you can compare both brake position and also shifter position if you use bar end shifters.
That's a problem right now, at least in my corner of the world, bike shops are decimated for both bikes and parts.
Old 07-06-21, 06:55 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by smokeycanuck
That's a problem right now, at least in my corner of the world, bike shops are decimated for both bikes and parts.
Yeah, that is a problem. In that case you pretty much have to go by the numbers and the photos.