Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New to this: Need advice on Shimano I-Spec[II/EV] Compatadaptabiityness <-- real word

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

New to this: Need advice on Shimano I-Spec[II/EV] Compatadaptabiityness <-- real word

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-21, 05:41 AM
Virtual_Swayy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I'm just in my first couple weeks of trying to work on my bike myself. I'm trying to upgrade my 2011 rockhopper and hit a snag. I got a ton of stuff right and pretty much pulled off replacing everything but the frame/fork/wheels (doing fork once the price is right on a good used one). I upgraded the drivetrain/group set from 2011 lower-mid-tier Shimano/SRAM 3x8 to newer XT 1x11 and added hydraulic brakes from a cheaper brand (Bucklos, $64 on amazon). I'm fine with the cheaper brakes (have you seen how much xt brakes cost lol!), but deviating from XT groupset even in brakes did cause the one snag I've had. Due to budget, and also that planet earth is backordered on pretty much every good bike part right now, I'm going to need to mix and match.

HERE IS THE ISSUE IN SHORT: HOW CAN I MOUNT RIGHT SHIFTER SL-M8000-IR WITHOUT RIGHT BRAKE BL-M8000-IR?

I ordered the XT 11s shifter (SL-M8000-IR) which is an I-Spec-II mount. Even if I had ever heard f integrated mounts it wouldn't have mattered becasue I can't even find the non I-Spec part for sale (SL-M8000-IR), so it's I-Spec-II shifter or bust haha. To make matters worse, Even now that I know, I can't find the I-Spec-II brakes the go with them either (BL-M8000-IR).So it ng has to be I-spec-II shifter mounted on something else [a non-I-Spec-II brake].

Here is what I CAN find that's close(ish). The newer BL-M8100, which has I-Spec--EV, but not II. So is EV backwards compatible with II so that that combo would work? I've found adapters but they all go FROM the I-Spec-II brakes --> to OTHER shifters. I need the opposite, Are there adapters from ev > II if they don't combo naturally? What about just some adapter that lets me mount the I-spec- straight to the bar? I saw a guy selling a 3d printed one on amazon in the past but that appears to not be sold anymore.

Anyway, if you can help with this you already the understand my problem I'm sure, so I'll shut up now and just go with the general question:
WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS TO GET THAT SHIFTER ON THE BIKE? SOMEHOW...

Thanks in advance for helping this noob with my unanticipated (in)compatible part-purchasing SNAFU!

P.S. Apologies for not linking to these parts, but it won't let me post links until my tenth post.

Last edited by Virtual_Swayy; 07-25-21 at 05:46 AM.
Old 07-25-21, 05:53 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Problem Solvers Mismatch
Old 07-25-21, 06:19 AM
Virtual_Swayy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Dork Disk I'd seen those on amazon but the link to that handy reference guide makes me understand what each adapter does WAY better. I was excited for the Rematch shimano to shimano adapters (is it just me that thinks that's weird? Even if the whole brand isn't compatible with itself shouldn't at least XT be compatible with other XT?) I was sad to see though they don't have anything to dapt EV yet. Does that mean I need to go buy an even more outdated shimano part (Ispec a/b), to make the adapter work with my older ispec 2 part? I do see one new option that seems viable which is that I could swap to certain SRAM brake models and adapt those to I-spec-II and I didn't realize that before. That seems like a lot though, so...

Let me ask you (or any other helpful souls) two follow up questions:

1) Do you know of any adapter that will just let me clamp the I-spec shifter right onto the dam bar old-school so the brake doesn't matter and I can be done with this for now?

2) It seems like another option is to just ditch the XT shifter completely. I saw some other thread here about I-spec issues where a guy just switched to microshift thumb shifters and he was happy! I saw they have 1x11s micro-thumbs - they look light and cheap too. I have no idea how those even work though. I'm about to youtube them ofc, but any thoughts on why that might be a good (or bad) idea?

Thanks again!
Old 07-25-21, 06:50 AM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
Looks like you only need a shorter bolt to attach a I-Spec II shifter to a I-Spec EV brake lever.

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listc...mmentid6763049
Old 07-25-21, 07:17 AM
Virtual_Swayy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cobba
Looks like you only need a shorter bolt to attach a I-Spec II shifter to a I-Spec EV brake lever.
Boom!

cobba you are the freaking man. This is ideal! Now I can buy the newest XT brakes, no adapter, keep my XT shifter, and have an integrated mount.

TY so much!

P.S. (To Shimano):
WTF? WTF on so many levels with I-Spec versioning, but couldn't you just come out and say the latest two are compatible?
Maybe even add an extra set of smaller bolts in I-Spec-II shifter packages with a little note, " <-- Use these for EV compatible mounting"...
No, that would be too easy.