Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

2019 the year of the ebike? And how will you react, being a C&V'er?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

2019 the year of the ebike? And how will you react, being a C&V'er?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-19, 10:30 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Originally Posted by -holiday76
So to be clear, we want to have a conversation about electric bikes and/or pedal assist with a bunch of people who aren't quite sold on the idea of indexed shifting?

Sounds like a good idea.
let's begin.
Old 01-20-19, 01:09 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Here's a kickstarter campaign for an e-bike that converts into a cargo bike. Clever but a little frail looking perhaps?
Not bad. I'm sure it all depends on materials. Ti tubing might make it work right. But, somehow I'm betting there is little Ti in that one ...
Old 02-14-19, 02:15 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
When I see the iconic Harley Davidson going whole 'hog' in with $30,000 plus electric motorcycles (called Hardly Davidson) and GM with some piddly e bike priced over $3,000,, its likely the end is near! Lol

https://www-theverge-com.cdn.ampproj...s-price-europe

Old 02-14-19, 02:41 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Citi Bike in NYC has added some electric bikes to the fleet. I finally got to ride a couple. I must say, I enjoyed them.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-14-19, 03:24 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 153 Posts
I still wave to the tourists renting the Pedegos here in my town (Carlsbad). More bikes on the road equals more awareness & bike-focused infrastructure, fewer cars, and only good things.

I've had a few who thought they would get cute and pass me, but so far they've all been governed to only 25mph.

My only concern is safety. People assume a bicycle is a toy and so I see them riding without helmets. Thing is, in the time it took us to learn how to sustain 25mph on a pedal-bike, we were also gaining experience and skills. I've seen two pretty bad accidents on E-bikes.

Also, I have a Zero SR electric motorcycle, which goes 120miles on a charge, will hit 110mph, and costs a little over a dollar to charge. AND there's a free EV-charger at the library across the street from my condo. The only fluids on the thing are the oil in the forks and the brake fluid in the hydraulic lines. No gas, no coolant, no valve-adjustments, no oil, no valves, pistons, bearings--it makes the internal combustion engine feel like a rube-goldberg contraption.

Also, no clutching, shifting, warming up, or lubing the chain. It makes my 900cc inline-four cylinder crotch-rocket feel pretty flat by comparison.

It's electric!

Old 02-14-19, 06:47 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
The Chinese take-out restaurants in NYC were early users of these e bikes.

I was riding my bike down a block at my usual 12 to 15 mph, and I felt something coming up on me fast, so I glanced over my shoulder to see a 120lb Chinese man with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth and he was hauling butt. He blew past me like I was standing still! I was blown away by this riders "fitness" level. Heck, he didn't even look like he was pedaling! Well, it took me quite awhile before I learned about these so called e bikes.

I now see them as a hazard. They are everywhere, they are seriously fast, stealthily quiet, and they are as heavy as a Tiger Tank and just as lethal. They are on sidewalks, bike lanes, streets, paths, pretty much everywhere. Where do they belong? Nobody seems to know. I am not a fan.

Last edited by Giacomo 1; 02-14-19 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-14-19, 07:04 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
...just as lethal. They are on sidewalks, bike lanes, streets, paths, pretty much everywhere.
Pretty much like family Gadget SUV drivers.
Old 02-14-19, 07:42 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I bought a Ghost Trekking e-bike this past August. It has a pedal assist, mid-mount motor by Bosch, and a traditional 9 speed rear derailleur and cassette.

Classic/Vintage? No. Dory's design is quite square, utilitarian, and modern, without the graceful lines of a classic frame. She isn't a pretty bike, really, though her name comes from her pleasant blue colour and the fact that with her I can "just keep swimming" (riding).

BUT. I've ridden damn nearly every day since I got this bike, which I had NOT been physically capable of doing for three years. Endometriosis kicked my ass pretty hard, and I've developed some chronic fatigue issues.

I think pedal-assist e-bikes provide a similar revolution in design and accessibility to the original safety bicycle (as compared to high-wheelers). People who weren't interested in riding, or aren't physically able to ride, traditional bicycles are turning to e-bikes for recreational riding and commuting. It's opening up a new transportation option that is less expensive than cars, but faster and less physically demanding than unpowered bicycling, and I think there's a parallel to be found with the way safety bicycles offered relatively inexpensive (compared to horses or early automobiles), fast, and flexible movement to people in the 1890s and early 1900s.
Old 03-05-19, 10:05 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Desperate Hardley Davidson announced buying Asian e-bikes targeting tykes market.
That in itself is slappy buying Asian to push an American icon brand Harley on its own turf, but also - now it seems we're raising mini hogs. Lol

-----------------

Harley-Davidson introducing electric powered children's bikes

RICK BARRETT | MILWAUKEE JOURNAL SENTINEL

Striving to reach the youngest of customers, Harley-Davidson is introducing electric bicycles for children.

The world’s largest manufacturer of heavyweight motorcycles says it has acquired StayCyc Inc., of Temecula, California, and will have Harley-branded StayCyc "EDRIVE" bikes available this fall.

StayCyc, which entered the marketplace in 2016, has bikes with 12-inch and 16-inch wheels.

The 12-inch model “is the perfect choice for little rippers with little or no experience on a balance bike. Your child should have an inseam of 14” or more to adequately touch the ground with a slight bend in the knees for optimum sizing,” the company says on its website.

StayCyc's two-wheelers have a retail price of $649 to $699 and are sold in power sports dealerships including 29 Harley locations.

Harley-Davidson has said it’s spending hundreds of millions of dollars to stimulate growth through new motorcycles, including smaller bikes built through an alliance with an Asian manufacturer.

“The StayCyc team shares the same vision we have for building the next generation of riders globally, and we believe that together, we will have a significant impact in bringing the fun and enjoyment of riding to kids everywhere,” Heather Malenshek, Harley’s senior vice president of marketing, said in a news release.

The company did not disclose the price of the deal.

Last edited by crank_addict; 03-05-19 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-06-19, 01:00 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
I don't have one but I think they're great. There are tons of commuter e-bikers where I work and live. A few of them are my fellow C&V rider friends who have long commutes to work that are not doable using a regular bike.

I'm also 65, and so I know quite a few older folks who can no longer hack the hills around here or longer distances to go shopping, etc. For them the e-bike opens up an entirely new mode of travel, and most importantly every e-bike takes a car off the road. My next door neighbor is one of these folks, she has a long commute with a 1,000' climb on the way back home at the end of the day. She was bemoaning the fact that this was wearing her out and she was finding excuses to take the car rather than ride her bike. She was initially against e-bikes due to the "purity" issue, echoing some of the sentiments seen in this thread. I convinced her to move to an e-bike and now she is happy as a clam. She calls it her "life-changer".

I fully expect that in another 10 years or so I won't be able to ride my bike up the hill back to my house. At that time I fully expect to switch to an e-bike.

Last edited by davester; 03-09-19 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-09-19, 03:40 PM
ShelbyC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hauling 90 lbs of trailer/children

I’m all for electric assist so I can transport my kids by bike instead of having to drive. I have been towing them with muscle power alone and find the weight limits the distance we can travel. A little assist would help us go further and we would hardly need our car.
Old 03-09-19, 07:23 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I saw a Trek e-bike in a bike shop this week. It's really expensive. Even still, I want my wife to try it. Maybe she'll be willing to go farther with me if she has an e-bike.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-09-19, 07:52 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I don't hate e-bikes, or love them either. Actually I hardly ever think about them. Kind of like e-sports, which I hardly ever think about either, in fact, never. That being said, even though I ride vintage steel, I'm a fairly early adopter of bike technology. I love my brifters, transitioned to Di2, love it, and disc brakes, carbon frame and rims, I'm there too. Electric bikes? Not there yet. Everyone has a line in the sand of their curmudgeoness. Some can't accept brifters, some don't like carbon, with others its Di2 or disc brakes. My line in the sand is e-bikes. Ask me when I'm older, I'm only 69 now. I have passed a couple of them on the road, and I admit to some pleasure in that. So far I enjoy being the motor.

As for C & V, any pre 1987 E-bike is welcome. By the time current (no pun) e-bikes are old enough for Classic and Vintage, I'll be 130 years old. Not gonna happen.😥
Old 03-10-19, 11:48 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
I think ebikes are great. I tried one in my local bike share. It was great to not get sweaty when going across town. Way better than taking an Uber when the transit gods don’t cooperate.

It was also nice for the hills I don’t like - particularly on the way to work or something. Also it helps with those slow bike share bikes.

I went on on a bike tour (meaning a tour of the city on a bike) and some of the people had ebikes. This kept everyone closer in pace and made sure no one was left behind.

Bring on more people on bikes. Not every ride needs to be for strenuous exercise.
Old 03-10-19, 12:05 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Where did you get that from - it is not laughable at all, it is quite sad, actually.

Obesity has become a huge medical problem in this country. Do you not recognize the truth in that? Ebikes do not create/contribute to obesity but they enable/facilitate it by reducing the amount of exercise a person gets when they get on a bike. My point is, the people I see riding these bikes are not pedaling much or at all.

At first, I didn't understand your choice of the phrase "pedal assisted bike". In a bicycle, the pedal are the primary motive force. It is/should be "motor-assisted bike" or some such. Then again, your phrase makes my point for me - people are using the motor as the primary motive force and pedaling, if any, is secondary.

This is what I see around me. Your mileage may vary.
Pedal assisted bikes require pedaling to work. When you pedal faster it gets slightly easier with the assist and makes you go faster. It feels just like a bike with s little boost.
Old 03-10-19, 12:19 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 87 Posts
I told my wife to get an ebike because I knew she could not handle the Seattle hills without it. Or rather, she *would* not handle the hills without it. She loves it! She still is working hard when she rides, but she has just enough assistance so that it is a fun workout, not a pain. For her (and us) that ebike is wonderful.

another great use for ebikes is families with kids, and other people who use cargo bikes. We see a lot of families - moms and dads- ferrying a couple kids on the back of a longtail. They can ditch an extra car by getting a little electric assistance. I am wholly supportive.

Old 03-10-19, 12:31 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
I haven't read most of this thread, but I'll share my experience with them. Before riding one, I had neither love nor hate for them, but I was curious. After riding one, I'm convinced that they're poised to transform cycling, and in a very positive way.

My dad is a moderately avid recreational cycler, like I am. We don't ride centuries or Gran Fondos, but we enjoy biking. My mom likes it, but just doesn't have the physical strength or stamina to bike a meaningful distance. That discouraged dad from riding, because he wants them to ride together. So he bought an e-bike, to try the type. Not only does he run the battery out of them riding 50 miles, but so does mom. He's now up to three e-bikes (he recently bought a Surly Pugsley and converted it). Mom has gone from not being able to ride more than about 5 miles to riding 50. They live in SW Utah, and regularly take the bikes over to Zion and do the canyon road, multiple times. This is a 10 or 15 mile ride up hill. I've ridden it...it's a tough climb. My mom would never be able to do it without help. Or they'll stay closer to home and take a picnic lunch 20 miles away and just go ride.

It's completely transformational for them. And I've become a firm believer.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 03-11-19, 01:27 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Perhaps coming soon to your discount grocer??

Old 03-11-19, 01:44 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Not for me. May as well put tubeless tires on the too so I'll be even less inclined to get one. Maybe I'll reconsider when I am turning 90. 2049.
Old 03-11-19, 02:25 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Now that Surly came out with the Big Easy, I may just buy one down the road.

Like in ten years when the RA takes over.

Great errand/grocery getter contraption they whipped up.

Last edited by gomango; 03-13-19 at 05:27 AM. Reason: auto correct gremlins
Old 03-13-19, 01:48 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Now that Surly came out with the Big Easy, I may just buy one down the road.

Like in ten years when the RA takes over.

Great errand/grocery getter contraction they whipped up.
No doubt +1.
Given the choice of riding an e-bike or decomposing on my sofa, I like the bike.
Certain sins of pride are taken from us by finite durability.
Old 03-13-19, 05:32 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
No doubt +1.
Given the choice of riding an e-bike or decomposing on my sofa, I like the bike.
Certain sins of pride are taken from us by finite durability.

Plus, Harley Davidson (rumored) is coming out with an ebike.

Another obsession/interest of mine is my new Honda Africa Twin motorcycle.

I would just as soon buy an American product if it is available and if it will be electric, so be it.
Old 03-13-19, 08:20 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
There's a guy on an (obviously derestricted) ebike goes past me quite often on my ride home. I'm gasping along up the A38 at 17mph and he just breezes past. I don't mid that at all, it's just that he's downright rude - not a "Good Evening", nod, smile, wave, or anything as he goes past, not even a manic laugh as he leaves me in the dust.
Old 03-13-19, 08:53 AM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
I still wave to the tourists renting the Pedegos here in my town (Carlsbad). More bikes on the road equals more awareness & bike-focused infrastructure, fewer cars, and only good things.

I've had a few who thought they would get cute and pass me, but so far they've all been governed to only 25mph.

My only concern is safety. People assume a bicycle is a toy and so I see them riding without helmets. Thing is, in the time it took us to learn how to sustain 25mph on a pedal-bike, we were also gaining experience and skills. I've seen two pretty bad accidents on E-bikes.

Also, I have a Zero SR electric motorcycle, which goes 120miles on a charge, will hit 110mph, and costs a little over a dollar to charge. AND there's a free EV-charger at the library across the street from my condo. The only fluids on the thing are the oil in the forks and the brake fluid in the hydraulic lines. No gas, no coolant, no valve-adjustments, no oil, no valves, pistons, bearings--it makes the internal combustion engine feel like a rube-goldberg contraption.

Also, no clutching, shifting, warming up, or lubing the chain. It makes my 900cc inline-four cylinder crotch-rocket feel pretty flat by comparison.

It's electric!

I want one of these. an assist e-bike, not so much. but as others have said- to each their own! We can all be a little different in our general sameness.
Old 03-13-19, 10:08 AM
ShelbyC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
In Seattle I think the majority of Lime Bikes are now e. Also new on the street are the Jump, all those are e. I look at them as future garbage. Not earth friendly, not a good choice for fitness either.
You bring up a good point- what will happen with all these battery cells that will be rendered useless in a few years? Ebikes are considered eco friendly because they offset fossil fuel dependence, but I have not considered the waste they will generate. Also the most likely inhumane conditions the minerals and materials are sourced and produced under.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.