Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

SoCal bike shop with Campy-Shimano (Shimergo) experience

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-21, 10:22 PM
Allezedly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I am looking for a bike shop in SoCal (Ideally near Huntington Beach, but I will travel) that has positive experience with mixing Campagnolo brifters with Shimano drivetrains, a configuration often called “Shimergo.” Specifically I am looking at putting 10-speed Centaur shifters on my 8 speed Ultegra 600 tri-color drivetrain.

i have talked to a few shops and they’ve either flatly refused to try it, or said they’d try but they’ve never heard of the idea.

I have read the pros and cons extensively online and I’d like to give it a go, especially during the components shortage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you’re shy about posting publicly, I’m happy to get private messages. If I have a positive result, I will post about it in detail in this thread.
Old 11-29-21, 10:19 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Why not just install Shimano Claris (2x8 or 3x8) shifters?
Old 11-29-21, 10:44 PM
Allezedly

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Why not just install Shimano Claris (2x8 or 3x8) shifters?
1. I didn’t like the feeling of the Claris shifters, though they feel more comfortable than my current 600 Ultegra shifters.

2. I want to try Campy ergo shifters for a while before I buy newer components, so I know whether I prefer STI or Ergo.

3. This bike is from 1993. Claris brifters look out of place on the bike.
Old 12-08-21, 09:22 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
You’re probably looking for a Shiftmate.

Shiftmate Compatibility Charts and Choices - Jtek Engineering

I haven’t used them, but others on here have, and I’ve seen them used by others. This is probably your most cost effective way of experimenting with Campag shifters without swapping out a whole drive train.

is there a reason to go for 10 spd shifters over 11?
Old 12-15-21, 11:01 AM
Eggman84

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Allezedly
I am looking for a bike shop in SoCal (Ideally near Huntington Beach, but I will travel) that has positive experience with mixing Campagnolo brifters with Shimano drivetrains, a configuration often called “Shimergo.” Specifically I am looking at putting 10-speed Centaur shifters on my 8 speed Ultegra 600 tri-color drivetrain.

i have talked to a few shops and they’ve either flatly refused to try it, or said they’d try but they’ve never heard of the idea.

I have read the pros and cons extensively online and I’d like to give it a go, especially during the components shortage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you’re shy about posting publicly, I’m happy to get private messages. If I have a positive result, I will post about it in detail in this thread.
I would try Richards in Garden Grove. I am running 2011-2014 Chorus shifters (11 speed) to shift 9 speed Shimano MTB rear and front derailleurs. I understand newer chorus/record shifters and newer Shimano derailleurs are not compatible (i.e., both Shimano and Campagnolo have changed the cable pulls). Whether the parts you have are compatible (i.e., proper cable pull) is unknown to me. All I can say is try it and you will find out.
Old 01-09-22, 10:04 AM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
Adrenaline bikes in Fullerton is a good shop. Talk to Jim the owner.