Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Battling the scam sites....

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Battling the scam sites....

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-22, 10:14 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I've seen pics of mine used elsewhere before.
Meh- it doesn't hurt me at all as I am not trying to monetize my pictures.

Dirty secret- I have used stock pics of components before for ebay. Eek!
Yeah but these places are trying to scam people. I could care less about the odd CL seller borrowing a pic. But the scum that put these type sites up need not be ignored when they are there solely to prey on people.

I reported about 16 of these bogus sites.
Old 01-16-22, 10:26 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
Your goals are solid but to me it's just more tilting at windmills. Scammers have an unlimited supply of pictures of everything to sell, and vintage bikes part of it. These crimes need to be fought at a high level. I know you're doing your part and it's commendable but there's other battles more pressing?
Old 01-17-22, 03:13 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Your goals are solid but to me it's just more tilting at windmills. Scammers have an unlimited supply of pictures of everything to sell, and vintage bikes part of it. These crimes need to be fought at a high level. I know you're doing your part and it's commendable but there's other battles more pressing?
As an analogy, bike theft is endemic as well. Locking my bike won't put even the slightest dent in the wave of bike theft. But it'll keep them from stealing MY bike. Likewise, I'll do what I can to keep the scammers from using ME as their mule.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 01-17-22, 06:29 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
As an analogy, bike theft is endemic as well. Locking my bike won't put even the slightest dent in the wave of bike theft. But it'll keep them from stealing MY bike. Likewise, I'll do what I can to keep the scammers from using ME as their mule.
Neither of which require Herculean efforts.

I, for one, am interested to see what actually happens rather than simply assume an outcome. We will learn something no matter the outcome.
Old 01-17-22, 08:43 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by madpogue
This!

It's different but even at work there are a few times I've brought up organizational problems that have been elevated to the highest level. These were issues "obvious" to me and that I assumed many had brought up with upper management yet that has not been the case. I just don't get it. Most just seem unwilling to act or say anything when something is wrong and maybe this is why so many problems continue? So, I'll do my part while fulling realizing it may ultimately not matter.
Old 01-17-22, 11:09 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
And as you stated above, you have to live with yourself, not us. (Although we do like to hang out digitally.)
Old 01-17-22, 02:34 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I don't even know who the owners are, but I'm wondering why in the world they would care to go after someone posting a catalog or magazine excerpt from decades ago here.

I'm reminded that Jackie Gleason was pretty upset that the Flintstones were an obvious copy of the Honeymooners, and would surely have won in court had they sued Hanna-Barbera. Jackie's lawyers asked him "Do you want to be known as the guy who yanked Fred Flintstone off the air?"
I don't disagree. Few, if any would defend their IP from the likes of us. The juice is not worth the squeeze.

But to the OP's point, it is their IP. And the way we use it, by law, is stealing. If you Google Cino Cinelli, the digital image you see first on their list, is one I took. It is everywhere on the internet, used without my permission. But I don't draw the line like the OP. The picture is in the wild and there is nothing worth my time to do about it.
Old 01-17-22, 04:14 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
If you Google Cino Cinelli, the digital image you see first on their list, is one I took.
Wow! how old are you?

Old 01-17-22, 04:21 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by billytwosheds
Playing the devil's advocate, what do you stand to lose from other people using your photos jamesdak ?

I get that we want to curb the improper use of our creative content, but I also am aware of how much a time suck it can be to chase down malicious uses.

Non-obtrusive watermarking is a good idea. Just remember that posting your content on other people's websites (including BF and CL) usually comes with the release of your copyrights to the work, at least non-exclusively.
I think this tread started as a whole lot about nothing. The trickster or fraudulent seller has an unlimited supply of photos accessible from the net. Just because he happened to choose chose the OP’s bike photos does not make him an accessory to the crime.
Old 01-17-22, 04:33 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldairhead
Wow! how old are you?
Not interestingly, the photo itself (the piece of paper in my basement) is public domain, the digital image is not.
Old 01-17-22, 05:19 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Originally Posted by jamesdak
This!

...Most just seem unwilling to act or say anything when something is wrong and maybe this is why so many problems continue? So, I'll do my part while fulling realizing it may ultimately not matter.
I like to pick battles I can win as my time is severely limited as a senior who will likely never retire. I also choose issues I see as more important to my immediate family and world...like municipal tax increases, zoning issues, access to family doctors, community services, etc. I can influence local issues more easily than taking on IP rights. I've a long list of other things which attract my interest. We can't assume others aren't doing things to make the world better.
Old 01-17-22, 06:23 PM
jamesdak 

I like to pick battles I can win as my time is severely limited as a senior who will likely never retire. I also choose issues I see as more important to my immediate family and world...like municipal tax increases, zoning issues, access to family doctors, community services, etc. I can influence local issues more easily than taking on IP rights. I've a long list of other things which attract my interest. We can't assume others aren't doing things to make the world better.
Good points but honestly not what I meant at all with my comments. Although, as I type this, how many do you think really do take actions to make the world better outside of what affects them directly? Heck, I'll be the first to raise my hand as guilty about this most of the time.
Old 01-17-22, 09:52 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Not interestingly, the photo itself (the piece of paper in my basement) is public domain, the digital image is not.
Can't help but ask if this is a case of copyright being claimed on the scanning of the image, which is to some a creative act.
Old 01-17-22, 11:06 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

After the scanning, colour correction is pure craft, a valued fine-art skill set for photography, film, print, broadcast and cable networks. It sounds easy, it's not. That work should be IP

Last edited by clubman; 01-17-22 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-18-22, 12:24 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
I see where this is going.

I'm going to start making NFT's out of everything I own, see, type...just gotta figure out what the hell those things are...
Old 01-18-22, 07:50 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
When searching to date a CIOCC I found a "social media photo site - Pinterest" that had one of my custom's photos that I have only posted here. Clearly this is done by an algorithm, no human copied from here and posted over there, I am afraid this is the future. This is why parents have stopped posting photos of their kids, it is creepy at best.
Old 01-18-22, 12:38 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 215 Posts
After the scanning, colour correction is pure craft, a valued fine-art skill set for photography, film, print, broadcast and cable networks. It sounds easy, it's not. That work should be IP
I'm going to push back on this a little. Having worked around archivists in libraries for years, a lot of scanning of (important!) images and documents is done with default settings and with limited creativity. Most scanning jobs do not meet the threshold of derivative work, or something significantly original. Most people who have interest in old images simply appreciate a basic scan job. For other work (damaged docs/images, sentimental content, etc) then of course you could pour hours of work into modifying a scan. It's just that most of the time that doesn't happen, and those doing the scanning are doing it to make the content available, not to add 70+ years of copyright to something that would otherwise be in the public domain.
Old 01-18-22, 12:45 PM
SurferRosa
seņor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,458 Times in 3,193 Posts
Finally! A reason to take those awful, out of focus, nds pics!
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-18-22, 12:53 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Originally Posted by billytwosheds
I'm going to push back on this a little. Having worked around archivists in libraries for years, a lot of scanning of (important!) images and documents is done with default settings and with limited creativity. Most scanning jobs do not meet the threshold of derivative work, or something significantly original. Most people who have interest in old images simply appreciate a basic scan job. For other work (damaged docs/images, sentimental content, etc) then of course you could pour hours of work into modifying a scan. It's just that most of the time that doesn't happen, and those doing the scanning are doing it to make the content available, not to add 70+ years of copyright to something that would otherwise be in the public domain.
I get you...I think we're on the same page. I'm referring to is a proper post-production process where Public domain materials are subjected to a treatment and then licensed. This is both good and bad. As a a documentary editor, I've spent way to much time sourcing picture files from stock libraries like Alamy and Shutterstock and paying for pictures, only to later find the same files exist for free in the Library of Congress (you pay a fee for gathering and delivering the files). These aftermarket stock libraries make big dough doing this and they usually do very little to really enhance the files.

I've also spent a lot of time taking old-timey film footage that's scratched and damaged after running through film projectors and cleaned the footage up, using softwear tools to remove dirt and scatches, frame by frame. It's immensely time consuming and expensive so protecting that value-added footage is important, even if the original is public domain.
Likes For clubman:
Old 01-18-22, 03:15 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
...how many do you think really do take actions to make the world better outside of what affects them directly?
Anyone who spent time in any form of public service will understand this line of thinking; others, not so much. Such is life

DD
Old 01-19-22, 03:56 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Anyone who spent time in any form of public service will understand this line of thinking; others, not so much. Such is life
DD
And we appreciate your service!

I also appreciate the great photos you take, many of which have probably been ripped off for commercial use, I'd bet.
Old 01-19-22, 05:16 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
And we appreciate your service!

I also appreciate the great photos you take, many of which have probably been ripped off for commercial use, I'd bet.
on a slight tangent.. I've had a case where I found that one of my photos of a P-51 Mustang aircraft was being used by a place in Spain. They were selling prints of it (and a lot of other photos), and were charging to frame the print, etc. I emailed them, asked them to stop using it, etc. I was shocked to get a pleasant response apologizing for the unauthorized use and said they would stop.

Heck, I was just flattered that someone would actually think my photos were nice enough to be able to sell.
I've certainly never tried to make any money with any of them.

I'll attach the photo below...

Steve in Peoria (I've taken far too many photos of airplanes!)