Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Old 06-08-22, 08:17 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
another tuesday foray with fellow forumite Tycho Brahe in la. wanted mountains but legs said flats. we compromised.
griffith park/h-wood area down to glendale, up chevy chase then linda vista up then down to the rose bowl. bounced outta pasadena
and rolled thru highland park, elysian park, echo park, k-town and over to culver city with a stint on venice blvd. ballona creek over to marina del rey
and up to venice beach for seated "provisions." up to santa monica and the chautauqua/entrada hill to san vicente blvd back into westside la.
wilshire to bevvy hiils and up rodeo/benedict canyon (with a slight detour to navigate that crazy, just looking for trouble 5-point stopsignapalooza intersection on beverly).
up to woolly mully via benedict canyon with a needed stop at the tree people outpost (decent restrooms/good b-room faucet water) at mully/coldwater canyon i-section.
drop down to h-wood blvd and back to griffith park.

that descent from the top of linda vista enroute to the rose bowl is getting kinda dicey pavement-wise. watch out. wilshire and h-wood blvd were pretty doable during afternoon rush hour traffic but undoubtedly helped a little to have two riders with blinkies hitting it together (single-file). waay easier than the pch stretch between malibu/santa monica tho. much of northern fig st. repaved and super-smooth into d-town la + a chicken boy sighting (always awesome!) https://www.chickenboy.com/the-true-...icken-boy.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_Boy

nice, weird-*ss cross section of la. fun, funky, challenging with plenty of the reasons why we live in socal but not recommended for all audiences.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7272592652
Thats looks to be a nice LA loop with plenty of entertainment and drama.
Likes For joesch:
Old 06-09-22, 12:10 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
another tuesday foray with fellow forumite Tycho Brahe in la. wanted mountains but legs said flats. we compromised.
griffith park/h-wood area down to glendale, up chevy chase then linda vista up then down to the rose bowl. bounced outta pasadena
and rolled thru highland park, elysian park, echo park, k-town and over to culver city with a stint on venice blvd. ballona creek over to marina del rey
and up to venice beach for seated "provisions." up to santa monica and the chautauqua/entrada hill to san vicente blvd back into westside la.
wilshire to bevvy hiils and up rodeo/benedict canyon (with a slight detour to navigate that crazy, just looking for trouble 5-point stopsignapalooza intersection on beverly).
up to woolly mully via benedict canyon with a needed stop at the tree people outpost (decent restrooms/good b-room faucet water) at mully/coldwater canyon i-section.
drop down to h-wood blvd and back to griffith park.

that descent from the top of linda vista enroute to the rose bowl is getting kinda dicey pavement-wise. watch out. wilshire and h-wood blvd were pretty doable during afternoon rush hour traffic but undoubtedly helped a little to have two riders with blinkies hitting it together (single-file). waay easier than the pch stretch between malibu/santa monica tho. much of northern fig st. repaved and super-smooth into d-town la + a chicken boy sighting (always awesome!) https://www.chickenboy.com/the-true-...icken-boy.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_Boy

nice, weird-*ss cross section of la. fun, funky, challenging with plenty of the reasons why we live in socal but not recommended for all audiences.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7272592652
Nice ride! You rolled through much of my neighborhood cycling routes!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 06-12-22, 03:53 PM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 100 Posts
Headed out early into the marine layer up into Anaheim Hills. From Santa Ana Cyn Rd. headed up Anaheim Hills Rd to Nohl Ranch, quick left then up Canyon Rim Rd. to Serrano. R on Serrano down to Nohl Ranch Rd. down & around to Imperial Hwy. Left on Imp. up the hill then down Imp/Cannon to Santiago. East on Santiago then down Jamboree & Peters Cyn Trail over to SART back up home. @ 62 miles total. Sun finally broke through at the bottom of Cannon. Legs felt pretty good I tried staying out-of-the-saddle for as long as possible up Cyn Rim & Imperial climbs. Only exceeded speed limit once (or twice) on the descents.
Favorite road sign in the hills: "Watch Downhill Speed".
West
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 06-13-22, 07:10 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by 2seven0
then down Jamboree & Peters Cyn Trail
One of my favorite sections. That descent on Jamboree from Santiago Canyon to Portola can be as fast as you like and the bike lane is well maintained.
Old 06-13-22, 01:51 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Beach cities spin Torrey Pines Del Mar to Ocean Side and always love stopping at Pizza Port across from Solana amtrak.
Rode 80s Colnago Mx bike and several admired including another collector and guy who worked for Campy.
This bike was sponsored by Shimano and had dura ace setup and he recognized hang loop near head tube that tour bikes had back in that day

Likes For joesch:
Old 06-13-22, 01:58 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
East on Santiago then down Jamboree & Peters Cyn Trail over to SART back up home.
That is very close to me. Please tell me the best route to get from Peters Canyon Trial over to SART?
Old 06-13-22, 03:32 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Figured he took Jamboree down to PCH and up to the SART entrance to make 100K.
Old 06-13-22, 04:17 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Wow! I am yet to break 40 miles, so I was hoping there was some other route (by bike, without driving) to check out SART.
Old 06-13-22, 04:44 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
That is very close to me. Please tell me the best route to get from Peters Canyon Trial over to SART?
Between Portola and PCH there really aren't any "good" ways to get over to the SART from Peter's Canyon Trail. You're either going to be in some sketchy areas or on roads that aren't bike friendly. Just for reference, you're aware that Peter's turns into San Diego Creek Trail at the Hockey rink and continues to the Newport Back bay? From there you can catch PCH and enter SART at the beach.
Old 06-13-22, 11:07 PM
igorgroks

Bikes: Masi Fixed Speciale.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 46 Posts
Away for a while

Bad crash a little over a year ago had me mostly off the bike. Took a corner too fast on a descent. My biking now freaks out the wife so now I stick to local river trail (SLR) and now she accepts that. Last weekend I took the Metrolink to Anaheim and hit the SART to Huntington Beach and back, 30 miles. Training up for an end to end, about eighty miles. BTW, the only bike I have now is fixed gear. Great fun.
Likes For igorgroks:
Old 06-13-22, 11:33 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Between Portola and PCH there really aren't any "good" ways to get over to the SART from Peter's Canyon Trail. You're either going to be in some sketchy areas or on roads that aren't bike friendly.
Yes. I live at the border between the 714 and 949 area codes, and there is no good way to go west of Red Hill Avenue.

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Just for reference, you're aware that Peter's turns into San Diego Creek Trail at the Hockey rink and continues to the Newport Back bay? From there you can catch PCH and enter SART at the beach.
Yes. I take Peter's Canyon Trail through the hairpin turn behind the Ice Hockey Rink, then cross the bridge and continue onto the Mountains to the Sea Trail, the Back Bay Drive, then the trail alongside / behind the trailer park at the beach to PCH, but I don't venture too far west on PCH either; I come back up Dover and then Irvine Avenue, then Bayview Trail. Even if I make it to and go up the SART, I will still have the same problem as above, i.e., how to get from SART to east of Red Hill Avenue.
Old 06-14-22, 05:33 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
Beach cities spin Torrey Pines Del Mar to Ocean Side and always love stopping at Pizza Port across from Solana amtrak.
Rode 80s Colnago Mx bike and several admired including another collector and guy who worked for Campy.
This bike was sponsored by Shimano and had dura ace setup and he recognized hang loop near head tube that tour bikes had back in that day

absolutely. scenery best at that location tho i find the san clemente location to maintain/have the best quality of grub and grog.
Old 06-14-22, 07:14 AM
2seven0

2 main obstacles to cross are SNA & the 55. If you don't want to go too far south to PCH here is my preferred rout E to W:

Exit at Moffet. West to Tustim Ranch Rd. South to Warner. Right on Warner past the blimp hangars. Left on Armstrong to Barranca. West on Barranca to Red Hill. South on Red Hill to Main. Right on Main under the 55 it will curve to the North. Be careful the pavement is a little ratty under the fwy. On weekends there is little traffic you may want to wait for a gap. Immediate left on Sunflower. Going past the South Coast Plaza isn't too bad early morning on weekends before most stores open. You can take Sunflower all the way to the SART but I prefer to turn up Hyland to MacArthur then left up the sidewalk path to the SART entrance.
Weekday commute mornings would be more crowded with commuter traffic on Main/Sunflower but since I'm not retired yet I don't ride mid=week.
Check it out on Google Maps.
WEst
Old 06-14-22, 07:18 AM
2seven0

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Actually I hadn't thought about the distance I was just riding along! I prefer to avoid that section of PCH- especially on summertime weekends too many cars & cyclists to contend with. After climbing around Anaheim Hills area my legs were starting to bark at me anyways.
West
Old 06-15-22, 08:18 AM
joesch

Originally Posted by igorgroks
Bad crash a little over a year ago had me mostly off the bike. Took a corner too fast on a descent. My biking now freaks out the wife so now I stick to local river trail (SLR) and now she accepts that. Last weekend I took the Metrolink to Anaheim and hit the SART to Huntington Beach and back, 30 miles. Training up for an end to end, about eighty miles. BTW, the only bike I have now is fixed gear. Great fun.
FG or SS is perfect for SART
Old 06-15-22, 02:35 PM
joesch

Road to a really historic Doffo winery on the last stop to Skinner Lake today.
World class collection of vintage motorbikes.
https://doffowines.com/motodoffo-collection/
My riding partner and I used our early 80s steel lugged road bikes and they almost seemed modern in this setting.

Last edited by joesch; 06-15-22 at 02:50 PM.
Likes For joesch:
Old 06-15-22, 02:55 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

2 main obstacles to cross are SNA & the 55. If you don't want to go too far south to PCH here is my preferred rout E to W:

Exit at Moffet. West to Tustim Ranch Rd. South to Warner. Right on Warner past the blimp hangars. Left on Armstrong to Barranca. West on Barranca to Red Hill. South on Red Hill to Main. Right on Main under the 55 it will curve to the North. Be careful the pavement is a little ratty under the fwy. On weekends there is little traffic you may want to wait for a gap. Immediate left on Sunflower. Going past the South Coast Plaza isn't too bad early morning on weekends before most stores open. You can take Sunflower all the way to the SART but I prefer to turn up Hyland to MacArthur then left up the sidewalk path to the SART entrance.
Weekday commute mornings would be more crowded with commuter traffic on Main/Sunflower but since I'm not retired yet I don't ride mid=week.
Check it out on Google Maps.
WEst
Thank you. Is there a reason you don't take Tustin Ranch Road south until it becomes Von Karman Avenue, then turn right on Main Street? Either way, this sounds like a route I can try on an early weekend morning, before South Coast Plaza opens, and asks my wife (or call Uber XL) to come get me at some point. Taking SART north is mostly uphill, right?
Old 06-15-22, 04:18 PM
igorgroks

FG or SS is perfect for SART
Took the Speedplays off and now ride platforms. Considering a freewheel, but don't want to look too much like a hipster wimp on a 4F.
(Fabulously fashionable freewheeling "fixie")
Old 06-16-22, 02:15 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts

Road to a really historic Doffo winery on the last stop to Skinner Lake today.
World class collection of vintage motorbikes.
https://doffowines.com/motodoffo-collection/
My riding partner and I used our early 80s steel lugged road bikes and they almost seemed modern in this setting.
nice! ridden by there several times on the way to lake skinner or enroute to east benton rd. great vintage (bi)cycles in that last pic!
Likes For diphthong:
Old 06-16-22, 07:45 AM
2seven0

Thank you. Is there a reason you don't take Tustin Ranch Road south until it becomes Von Karman Avenue, then turn right on Main Street? Either way, this sounds like a route I can try on an early weekend morning, before South Coast Plaza opens, and asks my wife (or call Uber XL) to come get me at some point. Taking SART north is mostly uphill, right?
I like riding past the blimp hangars it's like a glimpse of a bygone era. Also there's a nice park area between Armstrong & Red Hill that I stop at.
There are many routes to take if you're uncertain of one drive it first.
SART is slightly uphill S to N but nothing major. In the afternoon the predominant southwesterlies push you up rather nicely.
WEst
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 06-17-22, 07:32 AM
igorgroks

I like riding past the blimp hangars it's like a glimpse of a bygone era. Also there's a nice park area between Armstrong & Red Hill that I stop at.
There are many routes to take if you're uncertain of one drive it first.
SART is slightly uphill S to N but nothing major. In the afternoon the predominant southwesterlies push you up rather nicely.
WEst
I commuted past those hangars for years. Got off the Metrolink Bike Car at Tustin and rode five miles to were Alton ended at the 55. The ride back was sometimes longer. If I left exactly when I got off I could make it to Irvine-nine miles, or catch a later train and ride all the way to San Clemente. On Summer Solstice I had enough daylight to ride all the way home to Oceanside-sixty miles. OC South of 55 is cycle heaven.
Old 06-18-22, 05:51 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
Point Loma up the coast to Encinitas, and back, for 52 miles.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 06-18-22, 05:55 PM
joesch

Took the Temecula winery back door to Vail lake.
Was a dirt road and then rocky path to the top of Oak Mountain back way to the lake.
Really needed a mtn bike but the gravel ride got me there.

Old 06-19-22, 10:35 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Took the Temecula winery back door to Vail lake.
Was a dirt road and then rocky path to the top of Oak Mountain back way to the lake.
Really needed a mtn bike but the gravel ride got me there.
From your photos above, this is definitely mountain bike territory.
Old 06-19-22, 10:44 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Woke up late yesterday and had to do some urgent work so did not get to try 2seven0 's route above. So went for my second ride on Santiago Canyon Road east bound. Same distance as most of my usual rides (low to mid 30 miles) but almost twice the climbing. Might need to switch from my 12-25 cassette to my 11-28 cassette if this becomes even a semi-regular ride.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.