Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Thumbshifter Ratchet Pawl?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-19-22, 01:20 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 74 Posts

Shimano Deore DX Stuck in lower chainring

Shimano Deore DX with cover removed. It’s like a Swiss watch, it’s got so many parts.

Trek 950 that I’ve added chopper handlebars and pannier/Tailbox with LED Lights to.

I took the cover off and doused it with WD40.
The ratchet will not engage, so I have to hold about 6 pounds of force with my left thumb to keep it in the middle chainring.

Do I have to buy a new one?
so far I don’t think anything fell out .
maybe WD40 plus Road vibrations will unstick it.
IIRC, the pawl gets stuck account of dried grease, and this bike is 27 years old
Old 03-19-22, 03:17 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Those were made for only a year or 2 and that was 30 years ago. Toss them in the bin and get something else.
Old 03-19-22, 03:21 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
You have to operate it while dousing with WD for best results.
Old 03-19-22, 03:46 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,472 Posts
stuck pawl.

use a narrow dental pick & peer inside the mechanical workings for a spring loaded pawl.more than likely it can't move due to old gummed up grease.you need to use the pick to move it while spraying a thin lube on its pivot.look for a light colored rectangular shaped pawl.it engages the shark tooth gears.have only seen 1 that was chipped & couldn't be saved.with the rash on your shifter & maybe damaged but don't give up yet.DX is good stuff.
Likes For '02 nrs:
Old 03-20-22, 03:58 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
I found that being able to move the pawl up and down on its shaft while applying a solvent, then next a lube, is about the best way to insure that shaft pivot if free of gummy old stuff. A few times (and early on with Shimano flat bar indexed shifters) pulling the "e" clip off the top of the shaft and removing the pawl was the way, but I leaned with experience removing the pawl is a rare need. Andy
Old 03-20-22, 07:15 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 385 Posts
I worked on an a similar Shimano, but a lower tier level. I got all the advice about flushing and working it in, but to no avail. Eventuality I discovered that the coil spring was broken and displaced and pitched it and put on some simple friction thumbies. The Deore may be better, but maybe suffered the same fate.
Likes For sd5782:
Old 03-20-22, 07:22 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

I had it apart earlier, and used a steel pick and WD40, to no avail.
I think the spring is broken. If it was dry grease, it would have come loose.
I have a spare left hand three ring grip shifter from another bike lying around, so I’ll probably install that.
Old 03-21-22, 10:24 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,472 Posts
make sure there is no tension on the cable to cause the pawl to not move.
Old 03-21-22, 02:44 PM
hotbike

Having a lot of fun assembling this beast

Traced outline of milk crate and handlebars on 12mm thickness polyethylene board

The bracket [ piece snap fits on the milk crate

The [ bracket snap fits on the milk crate

The plastic [ bracket snaps and locks the handlebars to the milk crate

Ive created a polyethylene bracket from 12mm thickness cutting board plastic.

Going to make a few more corner brackets, drill pilot holes, and screw it together.
Old 03-21-22, 05:08 PM
mauricesnail 

Bikes: bridgestone mb-1, rb-t, and xo-2

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
ditto everyone above with degreasing the pawl and moving with a separate tool. in the shop we will degrease them when the bike comes in, let it sit for 45 min or so, blast inside with an air hose, then add fresh degreaser while moving the thumb paddles around until we could get just one click. after that switch to tri-flow and a pic/awl to move the ratchet pawl around until the spring tension overpowers the old lube/grease
Old 03-21-22, 05:27 PM
hotbike

Originally Posted by mauricesnail
ditto everyone above with degreasing the pawl and moving with a separate tool. in the shop we will degrease them when the bike comes in, let it sit for 45 min or so, blast inside with an air hose, then add fresh degreaser while moving the thumb paddles around until we could get just one click. after that switch to tri-flow and a pic/awl to move the ratchet pawl around until the spring tension overpowers the old lube/grease
Wow. But the key is , you never actually *disassemble* the mechanism, I take it?
Old 03-22-22, 05:38 PM
mauricesnail 

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike
Wow. But the key is , you never actually *disassemble* the mechanism, I take it?
haven't needed to, honestly it wouldn't be worth the cost of labor compared to replacing. that said we'll degrease ~50 shimano 7/8 thumb shifters a year the way described.

as a side note none of the ratchet gears, pawls, or springs ever appear damaged, just gunked up, and in the past five years it's become of more common problem. guess the manufacturer's grease from that era is reaching its expiration date? correlation, etcetc
Old 03-22-22, 06:09 PM
hotbike

haven't needed to, honestly it wouldn't be worth the cost of labor compared to replacing. that said we'll degrease ~50 shimano 7/8 thumb shifters a year the way described.

as a side note none of the ratchet gears, pawls, or springs ever appear damaged, just gunked up, and in the past five years it's become of more common problem. guess the manufacturer's grease from that era is reaching its expiration date? correlation, etcetc
I’ll have to plug in the compressor to supply the air.
By degreaser, do you mean WD40, or the engine cleaner stuff?
Old 03-23-22, 03:54 PM
mauricesnail 

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike
I’ll have to plug in the compressor to supply the air.
By degreaser, do you mean WD40, or the engine cleaner stuff?
chef's choice, maybe double check whatever you use doesn't melt plastic (actual problem)

if ya got a bike shop nearby see if they have any degreaser they could spray in there, very unlikely they'll have anything too caustic compared to the auto zone apothecary. good luck!
Old 03-23-22, 04:18 PM
hotbike

chef's choice, maybe double check whatever you use doesn't melt plastic (actual problem)

if ya got a bike shop nearby see if they have any degreaser they could spray in there, very unlikely they'll have anything too caustic compared to the auto zone apothecary. good luck!
I’ll probably replace it with a grip shifter from another Trek I got from the same curb alert.
Old 03-23-22, 07:25 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts

We use (recently banned in NYS) a solvent and basin from Safety Kleen and the effects on the plastics of these shifters is one of expanding the part's size. Specifically a version of these STI shifters have a plastic band that acts as a grit shiels and sits between the two "clamshell" halves of the shifter cover. If the shifter is left soaking in the solvent this shield absorbs something and swells. The couple I have left to dry never seemed to shrink back to OEM size. Si I strongly advise if the shifter has such a band/shield that it's removed before solvent work. Andy
Old 03-28-22, 12:42 PM
hotbike

Not Shimano, not Shimeng, not Magna....

30 year old bike’s are hard to find parts for.
I had to settle for this aftermarket thumb shifter.