Hills for Everesting

Old 04-01-22, 04:16 PM
Nschnabel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hills for Everesting

I’m new to SoCal (recently moved to San Juan Capistrano), and was training for a Road Everesting before my move. Can anybody recommend some good hills for repeats to get the required cumulative ascent? My preferences would be for something where the descent is not too technical, and relatively little auto traffic. I’d sacrifice total time on the bike on a more gradual ascent if needed to meet those two points. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Nick
Old 04-01-22, 05:18 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Highway 39 from the West Fork Parking Lot to the Crystal Lake Cafe is 4100 feet of climb and only 20 feet of descent over 12.8 miles.
Go on a weekday and traffic is minimal. So you can Everest in about 7 trips up over 90 miles of climb and resting on the long descents to fuel up for the next trip up.
Old 04-01-22, 05:32 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Highway 39 from the West Fork Parking Lot to the Crystal Lake Cafe is 4100 feet of climb and only 20 feet of descent over 12.8 miles.
Go on a weekday and traffic is minimal. So you can Everest in about 7 trips up over 90 miles of climb and resting on the long descents to fuel up for the next trip up.
That's fine and dandy, but he's gotta drive fifty miles from San Juan Capistrano to do it. Then drive back home.
There's some really nice wide roads in Orange County. Fairly long climbs in places, but I've never been a fan of repeats. lol
Old 04-01-22, 06:49 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts
Its been a while since I've been in South Orange County, but I think these might be good if you don't mind doing repeats and they are not to far away from San Juan Capistrano:

1. Clubhouse Drive between Crown Valley PArkway and PAcific Island Drive in Laguna Niguel (maybe 3/4 mile?).
2. Pacific Isnad Drive from Crown Valley Parkway up to Talavera Drive (1.25 miles long?).
You could make a loop using these two streets and Crown Valley Parkway.

Ride north on PCH to the other side of Laguna Beach (between Laguna and Corona Del Mar) and try Newport Coast Road from PCH up to Ocean View Ridge/Pelican Hills North, about 1.5 miles. One light along the climb at Pelican Hills South and another light at the top. I haven't ridden it in 10 years and it may have been developed with more houses and intersections, plus you'd want to ride through Laguna Beach early in the AM before traffic gets heavy on PCH.
Likes For skidder:
Old 04-01-22, 07:55 PM
Nschnabel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR

Thanks, I will have to check this out. Nice that it ends at a cafe too! During my practice runs on the road I picked before I moved, there were some blind turns and tight slalom-like turns so I couldn’t rest much on the descents.
Old 04-01-22, 08:02 PM
Nschnabel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
Its been a while since I've been in South Orange County, but I think these might be good if you don't mind doing repeats and they are not to far away from San Juan Capistrano:

1. Clubhouse Drive between Crown Valley PArkway and PAcific Island Drive in Laguna Niguel (maybe 3/4 mile?).
2. Pacific Isnad Drive from Crown Valley Parkway up to Talavera Drive (1.25 miles long?).
You could make a loop using these two streets and Crown Valley Parkway.

Ride north on PCH to the other side of Laguna Beach (between Laguna and Corona Del Mar) and try Newport Coast Road from PCH up to Ocean View Ridge/Pelican Hills North, about 1.5 miles. One light along the climb at Pelican Hills South and another light at the top. I haven't ridden it in 10 years and it may have been developed with more houses and intersections, plus you'd want to ride through Laguna Beach early in the AM before traffic gets heavy on PCH.

Thanks, some interesting local options here. Combining the first two climbs could work so less time spent on uturns.
Old 04-03-22, 07:58 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Phil Gaimon first broke the everesting record on Mountain Gate Rd off of Sepulvada: https://www.strava.com/activities/3437284857

He tried to get it back on Trancas Canyon: https://www.strava.com/activities/4626520191
Likes For Tycho Brahe:
Old 04-06-22, 10:20 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Newport Coast and Ridge Park