Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

If you had to choose...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

If you had to choose...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-22, 06:53 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
There is no difference in protection between various bike helmets...All bike helmets have to meet certain standards even the cheap ones sold through wallmart and other big box stores.
Some helmets could exceed the standards, thus offering better protection that those that just meet the minimun standard.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 04-28-22, 07:12 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,881 Times in 843 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Well typically the cheaper helmets are made more to just barely pass the tests then to actually exceed them. There is a reason why there are higher end helmets and part of it is protection on some levels and some of it is weight and ventilation and more importantly they actually have some R&D going into the helmets. In some cases these cheap helmets are copied(ish) on old molds from the 90s.

Yes the Costco helmet is going to be better than no helmet at all but there are differences in this stuff, having tried a lot of different helmets over the years I can say my higher priced helmets are a lot more comfortable all around and I know a lot of these companies are doing testing to make the helmets safer.
it has the Mips designation. it is a Free town lumiere 3.
Old 04-28-22, 07:30 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by taylorgeo
...would you buy a new helmet based on Consumer Reports testing or Virginia Tech testing?
I have little trust in what is coming out of universities these days,
Likes For teejaywhy:
Old 04-29-22, 07:57 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
...would you buy a new helmet based on Consumer Reports testing or Virginia Tech testing?
neither..try them on and see what works for you
Old 04-29-22, 08:37 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
the one with the prettiest color of course. And I am only half kidding. A visible helmet >>>> whatever protective features it's purported to have.
Old 04-29-22, 03:40 PM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
There is no difference in protection between various bike helmets...All bike helmets have to meet certain standards even the cheap ones sold through wallmart and other big box stores.
Do you understand the concept of "minimum standards"? Some helmets far exceed the minimum standards, which is what makes independent testing a useful reference if you care.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-29-22, 03:51 PM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Ask yourself this - would you buy a bullet-proof vest that just met minimum standards?
Old 04-29-22, 04:56 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Do you understand the concept of "minimum standards"? Some helmets far exceed the minimum standards, which is what makes independent testing a useful reference if you care.
There are no minimum standards for bike helmets...All bicycle helmets must meet the same safety standards. It does not matter what brand or how much they cost.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-29-22, 04:58 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Ask yourself this - would you buy a bullet-proof vest that just met minimum standards?
Very bad analogy in comparing bicycle helmets to bulletproof vests.....because the safety standards for bicycle helmets are the same for all helmets regardless of price or brand.
Old 04-29-22, 06:37 PM
Bald Paul

There are no minimum standards for bike helmets...All bicycle helmets must meet the same safety standards. It does not matter what brand or how much they cost.
Very bad analogy in comparing bicycle helmets to bulletproof vests.....because the safety standards for bicycle helmets are the same for all helmets regardless of price or brand.
There is a difference between meeting a standard and exceeding a standard.

From the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute - "Standards are useful to consumers to cover the performance you can't judge for yourself in a bike store--mostly impact management and strap strength. A standard sets minimum requirements, but does not tell you how far a manufacturer exceeds requirements. So a standard sticker inside a helmet does not necessarily tell you whose helmet is superior, but it tells you that the helmet always meets the minimum requirements."
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 04-29-22, 08:32 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Virginia Tech has far better testing protocol than CR, or the Feds.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 04-29-22, 09:41 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
I bought a helmet yesterday. I used the VPI site to narrow down my choices. Alas, many helmets of interest (current Smith models, for example, and Abus) haven't been tested. The real problem, though, is that I couldn't find many retailers with helmets of interest actually in stock. No Smith, no POC, no Abus (except their urban helmets), none of the Lazer MIPS versions in my size, no Giant, etc. Many of the the lower-priced (my limit was $160) helmets that tested well are simply not in stock at an LBS close to me. I took my list of helmets that tested well at VPI, and matched them to what was available.

I'm very glad I tried the helmets on. I found a couple that both tested well and fit as if they were made for my head. One of the ones I would have bought without the VPI list both tested relatively poorly and fit poorly - I just couldn't find an adjustment that was comfortable. That would have been a real PITA if I had bought online.

The VPI shortlist saved me a lot of time, since I found a helmet that fit. If none of the shortlist had fit as well as this one did, I'd have broadened my search beyond the shortlist. This is the best fitting helmet I'ver ever had, and I think I got my first helmet in 1979, maybe even earlier. (Alas, I don't know if that makes it safer.)
I looked at the VPI ratings, made a short list of those that I liked, Including it being offered in any color other than black, and fit my price range. I then read some online reviews and then went to the LBS to try them on. I also decided that I since was trying on at the LBS, I was buying at the LBS. I wanted a sized helmet and not a "universal fit", which for me, means it will not fit well. My choices included road, MTB, and commuter helmets. After trying them on and getting recommendations from both a store employee, and an unsolicited opinion from another rider, I eliminated the commuter helmets due to not as good ventilation, critical in my area, as any head covering seems hot.

The difference between my older helmet and the new sized one was the new one was very stable and did not shift even unstrapped, and only required a tiny adjustment of the wheel. Additionally it was a smoother design. I liked the VPI shortlist as it included all types of helmets and was searchable also as types of helmet.
Old 04-29-22, 10:47 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
What's a helmet??
Old 04-30-22, 06:54 AM
taylorgeo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
It's interesting, only Lazer helmets have a Prop 65 warning on them. Possible cancer-causing chemicals mixed with one's sweat. Hmm...
Old 04-30-22, 07:14 PM
teejaywhy

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
... A standard sets minimum requirements, but does not tell you how far a manufacturer exceeds requirements...
What does tell you? How does one measure the extent to which a helmet exceeds the standard?
Old 04-30-22, 07:25 PM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by teejaywhy
What does tell you? How does one measure the extent to which a helmet exceeds the standard?
Well, you could do a little research, I guess.
MIPS vs Non-MIPS Bike Helmet: Which is Better And Why (declinemagazine.com)
Old 04-30-22, 09:44 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
Like most of us, we view the world from our own perspective based on experience, education, preferences, denial or acceptance of danger, and/or budget.

If your current helmet is more than 3 years old and it doesn’t have the latest safety technology, chances are good it is outdated and not providing optimum protection. When I used to drive my cars on the track, there were definite safety requirements on having the latest in helmet and safety technology and I also had a steel cage around me. Compare that now to being super exposed on a bike where the best head protection is paramount.

My preferences in buying a NEW helmet, based in rank order, are:

1. Is it certified my the leading safety organizations (Snell/ANSI/etc) and have MIPS and meets or exceeds standards? Safety is first for my brain since you only get one.
2. Does it fit well?
3. have good ventilation?
4. look good and aerodynamic

Just my opinion, I could be wrong - just ask my “sig O”.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-01-22, 07:22 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
To throw another turd into the bowl, why does the US and "the continentals" each think their standard is the bee's knees and accepts their own but not others? Is it purely an old school economic BS trade thing?

Like, how in the hell is it so far off each refuses to allow the other?

I don't get it. Especially when you dig the fine details, the race organizations do allow the opposite standard if your "team" is sponsored by that brand. Instead of forcing them to carry two brands of helmets as teams. That tells me it's BS.
Old 05-01-22, 04:08 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Neither one. Helmets sold in the USA and Europe must pass mandatory testing to be certifed. They do not need to be a MIPS type and I replaced our helmets with MIPS ones to get the extra bit of protection.

I prefer to buy name brand helmets (Fox Racing, Bell, Scott, etc.) sold by places like REI. The cost may be 30-50 dollars more but my head is worth it.
Old 05-01-22, 04:26 PM
PeteHski

Has it never occurred to you that some of them might exceed these basic safety standards? hint: the bar they set is actually quite low.
Old 05-01-22, 04:34 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by teejaywhy
That's exactly where independent test labs come into play e.g. Virginia Tech
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-01-22, 04:46 PM
Ttom

Bikes: Kona Sutra SE

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 34 Posts
Don't Cared

Originally Posted by thehammerdog
i pick the cool looking one.
Me too!
Old 05-01-22, 06:00 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Someone bought the Kool-Aid. You don't need to throw away a helmet after 3 years, that's marketing hype to get you to buy more helmets. A helmet is good for a very long time. Sun and salt from sweating will interact with the foam liner and degrade it, how you can tell it's beginning to degrade is if your sweaty forehead feels like it has tiny bits of sand on it, that sand is actually tiny bits of the foam stuff they use. I've been able to use a helmet for 15 years before having to replace it, 12 to 15 years is the range of time my helmets last where I live now, when I lived in the Mojave Desert area of California my helmets lasted 8 to 10 years, but it was a lot hotter there then where I'm at now, and the combination of sweat and sun ruined the helmets faster.

The USA Federal CPSC rating is a bare minimal rating, all helmets sold in the US must meet that standard, the bar was set low so that China could make helmets cheaper and sell them in mass quantities. Snell set the bar just a tad higher, but not many helmet manufactures wanted the Snell rating because it cost them money to get that rating; now Virginia Tech set the bar quite a bit higher than what the others did, now some helmet manufactures are scrambling to get their helmets to meet those requirements, even though there will be no sticker in the helmet saying it meets or exceeds the Virginia Tech tests. Europe had their own minimal safety standard, however, where CPSC is a mandatory requirement, ASTM is voluntary, CPSC is more demanding than ASTM is, thus if a helmet meets the CPSC standard, indicated by a label in the helmet, it automatically meets the ASTM which means, at least in the US, there will usually be a second label inside the helmet if that helmet is sold in Europe, then if by chance a helmet company voluntarily requested Snell to test the helmet then there would be another label. Virginia Tech has a lot of experience testing helmets, they were testing hockey, football, and other sports for years, it was only in the last 3 or 4 maybe 5 years they turned their attention to cycling.

The newest safest helmet rated at number 1 is now the Specialized Tactic 4 ($110) with MIPS for mountain biking, and the Giant Rev Comp ($65) with MIPS for road bikes, if you are more of an urban rider than the Specialized Mode ($120) with MIPS is the best, for multi-sport it's the Specialized Align II ($50) with MIPS. If you notice, these helmets are not the most expensive ones on the market, in fact they're mid-lower-end priced helmets! So, paying more money for a helmet is not a good thing to do if your brain is more important to you. While those helmets I listed are 5 star rated, and there are others that have gotten 5 star rating, but they have singled those out as being the best of all the 5 star rated helmets, how much better? you will have to go to their site and look at the bar graph charts to see why they exceeded the others in the 5 star rating, they probably should add a 6th star to single out the really good ones, but I don't think the way they do the ratings they will ever do that.

The cancer warning found in Lazer helmets is Lazer going to far, probably due to lawyers. The cancer causing situation is due to the plastic used on the polycarbonate SHELL, not the foam liner where the sweat and skin is actually in contact with. In addition to that, the cancer causing situation is so tiny it really isn't worth mentioning. There is no evidence YET that the strap, buckle, interior fit system, pads, and liners have shown any cancer related issues. Thus the Lazer helmet is completely safe to wear, unless you plan on wearing your helmet upside down so the shell contacts your skull.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 05-02-22, 05:50 PM
taylorgeo

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Someone bought the Kool-Aid. You don't need to throw away a helmet after 3 years, that's marketing hype to get you to buy more helmets. A helmet is good for a very long time. Sun and salt from sweating will interact with the foam liner and degrade it, how you can tell it's beginning to degrade is if your sweaty forehead feels like it has tiny bits of sand on it, that sand is actually tiny bits of the foam stuff they use. I've been able to use a helmet for 15 years before having to replace it, 12 to 15 years is the range of time my helmets last where I live now, when I lived in the Mojave Desert area of California my helmets lasted 8 to 10 years, but it was a lot hotter there then where I'm at now, and the combination of sweat and sun ruined the helmets faster.

The USA Federal CPSC rating is a bare minimal rating, all helmets sold in the US must meet that standard, the bar was set low so that China could make helmets cheaper and sell them in mass quantities. Snell set the bar just a tad higher, but not many helmet manufactures wanted the Snell rating because it cost them money to get that rating; now Virginia Tech set the bar quite a bit higher than what the others did, now some helmet manufactures are scrambling to get their helmets to meet those requirements, even though there will be no sticker in the helmet saying it meets or exceeds the Virginia Tech tests. Europe had their own minimal safety standard, however, where CPSC is a mandatory requirement, ASTM is voluntary, CPSC is more demanding than ASTM is, thus if a helmet meets the CPSC standard, indicated by a label in the helmet, it automatically meets the ASTM which means, at least in the US, there will usually be a second label inside the helmet if that helmet is sold in Europe, then if by chance a helmet company voluntarily requested Snell to test the helmet then there would be another label. Virginia Tech has a lot of experience testing helmets, they were testing hockey, football, and other sports for years, it was only in the last 3 or 4 maybe 5 years they turned their attention to cycling.

The newest safest helmet rated at number 1 is now the Specialized Tactic 4 ($110) with MIPS for mountain biking, and the Giant Rev Comp ($65) with MIPS for road bikes, if you are more of an urban rider than the Specialized Mode ($120) with MIPS is the best, for multi-sport it's the Specialized Align II ($50) with MIPS. If you notice, these helmets are not the most expensive ones on the market, in fact they're mid-lower-end priced helmets! So, paying more money for a helmet is not a good thing to do if your brain is more important to you. While those helmets I listed are 5 star rated, and there are others that have gotten 5 star rating, but they have singled those out as being the best of all the 5 star rated helmets, how much better? you will have to go to their site and look at the bar graph charts to see why they exceeded the others in the 5 star rating, they probably should add a 6th star to single out the really good ones, but I don't think the way they do the ratings they will ever do that.

The cancer warning found in Lazer helmets is Lazer going to far, probably due to lawyers. The cancer causing situation is due to the plastic used on the polycarbonate SHELL, not the foam liner where the sweat and skin is actually in contact with. In addition to that, the cancer causing situation is so tiny it really isn't worth mentioning. There is no evidence YET that the strap, buckle, interior fit system, pads, and liners have shown any cancer related issues. Thus the Lazer helmet is completely safe to wear, unless you plan on wearing your helmet upside down so the shell contacts your skull.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thorough and informative response. Thanks to everyone, actually. A great community with copious amounts of wit and humor. (I love Benny Hill!)

I've been trying on a lot of helmets, and what I found most interesting is how varied the fit is from brand-to-brand.

Last edited by taylorgeo; 05-02-22 at 09:29 PM.