Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Let's Retire the Term "Gravel Grinder"

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Let's Retire the Term "Gravel Grinder"

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-22, 07:39 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
I did a 71 mile gravel race over the weekend. It was really a grinder!!!
Old 05-10-22, 07:59 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I certainly dont correct people when they call it a seat, but I also only ever call it a saddle.
A seat is something you sit in/on. A saddle is something you sit atop. Recumbent has a seat, diamond frame has a saddle. Yeah maybe its largely a distinction without a difference, but still...
And in the name of consistency, you also use the terms saddle stay, saddle post, saddle tube and saddle post binder right?
Old 05-10-22, 08:21 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
And in the name of consistency, you also use the terms saddle stay, saddle post, saddle tube and saddle post binder right?
I do not, because they are not called that. I just remember something I learned when I was 9, that language is fascinatingly inconsistent, and move on.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-10-22, 08:30 AM
freetors

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
I'm fin with gravel grinder as it implies a certain amount of physical and mental exhaustion, typically.

I also can't stand when people say "kit". And for that matter, "jersey" is slightly annoying too. It's just a shirt. Maybe it has funny pockets or a zipper, but at the end of the day it's just a shirt. "Gilet"? It's a freakin vest. You don't need that pretentious nonsense.

Another one that's steadily gaining popularity over the last few years that I abhor is "colorway".

And anyone that says "bidon" can GTFO...
Old 05-10-22, 09:26 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
My Brooks B-17 has more in common with a saddle than a seat. For one thing, it's on my steed.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-10-22, 09:46 AM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I guess alliteration is cool, but referring to a bike or an event as a "gravel grinder" just seems so 2010....
That just means its almost time for it to come back around in a retro hip way.
Old 05-10-22, 09:52 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
I certainly dont correct people when they call it a seat, but I also only ever call it a saddle.
A seat is something you sit in/on. A saddle is something you sit atop. Recumbent has a seat, diamond frame has a saddle. Yeah maybe its largely a distinction without a difference, but still...
Yet no one ever says "I got a new 25.375 mm saddle post" for my sweet *****in' up-country ride.
Old 05-10-22, 09:53 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard

Sorry. I posted before I read the second page.
Old 05-10-22, 10:09 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Yet no one ever says "I got a new 25.375 mm saddle post" for my sweet *****in' up-country ride.
Language man, its crazy.

Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-10-22, 10:22 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
As gravel roads are roads, I propose we replace the term "gravel grinder" with the term "road."

Lets rename the skinny tire aero scene.
Speed bikes?

Last edited by base2; 05-10-22 at 10:25 AM.
Likes For base2:
Old 05-10-22, 11:09 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
The word "brifter" really grinds my (gravel) gears. Just call it a shifter or a brake lever. I've never understood why people combine this into one made-up word.

"Kit" has never bothered me. Seems like a fine way to describe the variety of coordinated cycling apparel that one wears. I do find it irritating when someone uses the word "bidon" or other Euro specific terms they likely learned from watching the Tour de France, like "groupetto", "musette", "moto" etc.
Old 05-10-22, 12:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Ha, groupetto does make me laugh since it is almost entirely either Shimano or SRAM at this point which are distinctly not Italian and not even European. Its a group or grouset. Dont try to church it up, Dirt.
Bidon also makes me chuckle, but I thankfully havent actually heard it spoken. If anyone in Iowa were to say it, there would be some dumbfounded stares.
Old 05-10-22, 12:09 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
Ha, groupetto does make me laugh since it is almost entirely either Shimano or SRAM at this point which are distinctly not Italian and not even European. Its a group or grouset. Dont try to church it up, Dirt.
Bidon also makes me chuckle, but I thankfully havent actually heard it spoken. If anyone in Iowa were to say it, there would be some dumbfounded stares.
I dont think thats a "grupetto".
Likes For dgodave:
Old 05-10-22, 12:23 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by dgodave
I dont think thats a "grupetto".
Ha! Cant multitask. Gruppo/Grouppo is what I meant.
Thanks for seeing that.
Old 05-10-22, 12:40 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
No such thing as a groupetto perhaps you mean gruppetto? It means 'the laughing group' basically the sprinters and others arriving at the finish just before the time cut. For a component group from any manufacturer it would be gruppo (group) but also Italian fans might also say gruppo to refer to the peloton so depends on the context. Also Italian fans along the road will yell 'Dai! Dai!' which to an English speaker like me sounds like 'Die! Die!' and takes a moment to realize they're saying 'Go! Go!'.

My favorite is some of my Italian friends refer to CO2 cartridges as bomboletti (little bombs)
Old 05-10-22, 12:56 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
No such thing as a groupetto perhaps you mean gruppetto? It means 'the laughing group' basically the sprinters and others arriving at the finish just before the time cut.
It's possible that you've just found a way to make this term even more annoying.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 05-10-22, 01:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
No such thing as a groupetto perhaps you mean gruppetto? It means 'the laughing group' basically the sprinters and others arriving at the finish just before the time cut. For a component group from any manufacturer it would be gruppo (group) but also Italian fans might also say gruppo to refer to the peloton so depends on the context. Also Italian fans along the road will yell 'Dai! Dai!' which to an English speaker like me sounds like 'Die! Die!' and takes a moment to realize they're saying 'Go! Go!'.

My favorite is some of my Italian friends refer to CO2 cartridges as bomboletti (little bombs)
Asked and answered, but to say again- I meant Groupo/Grupo/Gruppo/Grouppo. Again, apologies for the confusion as I typed that while sitting on a Teams call and just repeated the term that was used earlier in the thread without thinking.
I have seen it spelled multiple ways, which is why I typed different versions here.
Old 05-10-22, 02:01 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Asked and answered, but to say again- I meant Groupo/Grupo/Gruppo/Grouppo. Again, apologies for the confusion as I typed that while sitting on a Teams call and just repeated the term that was used earlier in the thread without thinking.
I have seen it spelled multiple ways, which is why I typed different versions here.
I figured you typed out a "wrong" spelling deliberately, since most of the dorks trying to sound cool misspell it anyway: "Hey, check out my new whip! It has a full SRAM groupo!"
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-10-22, 07:14 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
As gravel roads are roads, I propose we replace the term "gravel grinder" with the term "road."

Lets rename the skinny tire aero scene.
Speed bikes?
This^^^^^

How did niche pavement racing bikes co-opt the all encompassing "road" label? How about Pavement Pushers?

Gravel bikes are just road bikes that don't suck on gravel.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-10-22, 07:21 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by msu2001la
The word "brifter" really grinds my (gravel) gears. Just call it a shifter or a brake lever. I've never understood why people combine this into one made-up word.
So that you know whether one is describing a brake, a shifter, or a combo brake/shifter.

Hey, that's just a guess.
Old 05-11-22, 07:00 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by msu2001la
Yeah, I figured 'brifter' started back when STI shifters were new to road bikes. Half of a brand's offerings had STI shifting and half had downtube shifting with dedicated brake levers. Why its lasted 30 years?...I guess tradition, but not sure. At this point if someone says 'shifters' the default is they are using levers that both shift and brake. If anyone is using downtube, IGH, or bar ends to shift, the expectation should be that they specify since its so out of the norm.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-11-22, 08:15 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Yeah, I figured 'brifter' started back when STI shifters were new to road bikes. Half of a brand's offerings had STI shifting and half had downtube shifting with dedicated brake levers. Why its lasted 30 years?...I guess tradition, but not sure. At this point if someone says 'shifters' the default is they are using levers that both shift and brake. If anyone is using downtube, IGH, or bar ends to shift, the expectation should be that they specify since its so out of the norm.
Or you can just have a different single-word term for each scenario (shifter, brake lever, shifter/brake combo) and nobody needs to clarify anything. That's the beauty of an expanded vocabulary.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-11-22, 08:16 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by Kapusta
So that you know whether one is describing a brake, a shifter, or a combo brake/shifter.

Hey, that's just a guess.
If I told someone that I crashed and broke the shifter on my gravel bike, there would be zero confusion about which part I was referring to. Is there really a need to specify that my shifter also functions as a brake lever, or vice versa?

If I told someone that I crashed (while riding in the gruppeto) and broke my Campy gruppo's downtube shifter on my vintage gravel grinder whip, there would still be zero confusion about which part I was referring to.

It's time to retire "brifter", which has always been an awful term.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 05-11-22, 08:18 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
"Brifter" persists because it is short, snappy, and generic. Terminology is "sticky" so if anyone wants to retire (dare I say "cancel") a word they don't like, it's on them to come up with something that fulfills those goals even better.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 05-11-22 at 08:22 AM.
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 05-11-22, 08:20 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Or you can just have a different single-word term for each scenario (shifter, brake lever, shifter/brake combo) and nobody needs to clarify anything. That's the beauty of an expanded vocabulary.
And yet, you've found several words that are actually in the English dictionary that adequately describe this part without needing any additional clarification, all while avoding the temptation to mash them together into a new made-up word....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.