Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

New LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITYs for Mr & Mrs Downeastter

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 05-02-22, 03:36 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts

Well our 50th anniversary is coming up soon. For our 30th we bought a couple of 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe mtds. Still have them in fact. Only use a couple of weeks a year during our summer travels back to Acadia National Park and Atlantic Canada. So with the 50th soon we decided to spend some of that retirement $$ on some new Ti bikes. Our riding has changed in the past 20 years instead of living in Maine near Bar Harbor we now live near a wonderful rails to trails Withlacoochee State Trail in Fl. We do have our Canyon Roaldlite 9 LTD's but they are strictly for paved surfaces (for us anyway). So we purchased a couple of LiteSpeed Cheerohala City bikes about 4 weeks ago. We did a little custom change so they can be used for both paved and gravel we encounter during the summer months. We order the upgraded HED Emporia GA Performance wheels (700c for me and 650 B for the wife) and changed out the derailleur to a GRX 810 and the cassette to 11-41 cassette. At the time I ordered them I was told the lead time was 4 to 6 weeks. Today I received the following email:

Bruce, your dream bike is well underway to becoming a reality! Your new Litespeed titanium bike has been hand-welded and is on its way to being bright brushed and prepped for building.

Next stop: the build shop.

We will contact you when your bike moves to the build shop.

I'll update as the progress continues. Oh and BTW the Giant Fastroad CoMax 1's will be looking for a new home.
Likes For DowneasTTer:
Old 05-04-22, 01:38 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Ah this is starting to get interesting. I just received this today:

Hello Bruce,Great news!

Your new Litespeed bike is heading your way this week. This email is to notify you that a Home.Delivery.Right technician will be in touch at the end of the week schedule the delivery of your new bike right to your door.

If you don't hear from your technician by Monday, please let us know.

Don't forget - be sure you register your Litespeed bike when it arrives!

I look forward to you receiving your new bike, ready to ride!

Thank you,

American Bicycle Group

Likes For DowneasTTer:
Old 05-04-22, 01:50 PM
DowneasTTer

I wonder if the email is correct. When I look at LiteSpeeds page on their "Home.Delivery.Right " it describes the following:

THE RIGHT BIKE. RIGHT TO YOUR DOOR. RIGHT ON TIME.

Home.Delivery.Right is our premium complete bike delivery option, a truly tailored delivery experience. Order your new Litespeed online, and have it delivered fully assembled, right to your door, ready to ride.

Home.Delivery.Right provides a full-service premium experience. Simply select the service upon purchase, await our team to contact you to schedule with a qualified technician, and they will arrive to your home or office at a scheduled date and time. They’ll deliver and dial in your new Litespeed, bicycle… ready to ride. No boxes, no wrenches. Just receive your bike and begin riding.

HOW IT WORKS...

1. Select Home.Delivery.Right shipping option at checkout.

2. When your bike is almost ready, our team will contact you to schedule with one of our qualified technicians.

3. Your technician will arrive to your destination at the scheduled time. You’ll be assisted with basic bike setup and a test ride, all with recommended COVID-19 protocols in place.

This will be great if in fact that happens as I was only charged for 1/2 Pro Box shipping (got the 1/2 price for ordering two bikes) which was $95/each. The cost of the Home.Delivery.Right program is $295/each. I'll update when they finally arrive. Going to seem to be a LONGGGGG wait till NEW BIKE DAY!!
Old 05-04-22, 02:53 PM
DowneasTTer

When it rains it pours or putting the cart before the horse..... After receiving the above email I got this ones;

bruce, your new Litespeed bike is now polished and prepped — it's time to undergo the full build! Your bike will be completely assembled, test-ridden, and taken through a rigorous quality control check before heading to the packing area to be prepped for shipment.

Next Step: We will contact you when your bike ships!
Old 05-07-22, 11:37 AM
DowneasTTer

OK I got contacted from Kitzuma that my bike was picked up at the factory last Friday and is spending the weekend in NC. They should have a tech deliver the bike between next Weds and Sat. My wife's bike is still in the built shop due to be completed the beginning of next week. I don't know if it will be delivered via LiteSpeed's home delivery service or by their Pro-Box method. LiteSpeed total me that if there is room on the truck leaving the factory via home delivery they will fill it with other orders. That's how I got the upgrade to home delivery on my bike. A pretty good deal as they gave me a $700 break on the price of the bikes due to purchasing two plus only charged me 1/2 price ProBox shipping at $95 each. Looking forward to New Bike Day. Since both bikes are coming at different times I guess it's really New Bike Days!
Old 05-13-22, 02:25 PM
DowneasTTer

Received news today that Mrs. Downeastter's bike was built on Monday and picked up by Kitzuma on Tuesday. My bike is in Jacksonville due to be delivered tomorrow. So things are progressing.
Likes For DowneasTTer:
Old 05-14-22, 01:59 PM
DowneasTTer

Well the Kitzuma driver arrived on time with my bike. It's a welcome to have the bike all together and the driver set the pedals and seat. Now the wait begins for the delivery of my wife's bike. The fit and finish is a bit like a work of art. The whole process from pre-sales questions (Sam Voigt was my sales rep) to the final delivery was top notch. Of course spending this kinda of money it should be. I really liked the built tag showing who did what in the process from cutting the tubes, welding them to the final inspection.

Kitzuma van at the end of the driveway

Driver putting on the pedals

Drive side

Non drive side

Front end

Head badge

Made in the USA badge on seat tube

Laser decal

Rear Dear area

Built tag

QC tag
I'll post on our first ride when my wife's bike is here and we have our anniversary ride. Until then I will add the GP-3 grips, Topeak racks, and the water bottle brackets. Here are a few pictures of the bike on delivery.
Likes For DowneasTTer:
Old 05-14-22, 09:13 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts
oh my

suhweet !
Old 05-15-22, 07:59 PM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
Great way to celebrate a milestone anniversary!
Old 05-15-22, 08:52 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

on a semi related note - today I stumbled on the invoice for a Litespeed frame I purchased in late 1996
Old 05-17-22, 10:24 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
Congrats -- you are one year ahead of us on wedding anniversaries (23 June 1973, a week after my wife completed her 5th (teaching credential) year at UCLA. My wife is increasing intimidated by automobile traffic, and your story reminds me that I need to fix up her mountain bike.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-21-22, 02:22 PM
DowneasTTer

Well true to form Kitzuma's driver delivered my wife's bike today. We spec-ed 650b wheel set for her and it came with 48mm Panaracer GK Semi-Slick installed. Should be great for our varied surface riding this summer on our New England motorhome tour. Anyway here are a couple of pictures from today

The new bike as it's in the van.

My wife holding the her anniversary gift.

Ready for a first trip to the Withlacoochee in the morning. Added the racks, changed out the gips to Ergon G-3s, installed the water bottle cages and added AirTags... for just in case. Waiting on the new carbon Whiskey no 7 set posts and then I'll put on the Fizik Antares R3 saddles and cut the handlebars down a little. Currently they"re at 740mm good for mountain biking but too long for us.
Likes For DowneasTTer:
Old 05-21-22, 03:18 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
you look so young! how old were you when you got married 50 yrs ago? nosey ppl are curious you look my age 63ish but we're only married 31 years. we got married around 31/32ish. anyway you guys are on track to beat my 92-95 yr old parents celebrating their 71st anniversary next month! right on man!

oh, sweat bikes too!
Old 05-22-22, 10:57 AM
t2p

Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
Well true to form Kitzuma's driver delivered my wife's bike today. We spec-ed 650b wheel set for her and it came with 48mm Panaracer GK Semi-Slick installed. Should be great for our varied surface riding this summer on our New England motorhome tour. Anyway here are a couple of pictures from today

The new bike as it's in the van.

My wife holding the her anniversary gift.

Ready for a first trip to the Withlacoochee in the morning. Added the racks, changed out the gips to Ergon G-3s, installed the water bottle cages and added AirTags... for just in case. Waiting on the new carbon Whiskey no 7 set posts and then I'll put on the Fizik Antares R3 saddles and cut the handlebars down a little. Currently they"re at 740mm good for mountain biking but too long for us.
longer is better ! lol

we've moved from ridiculously short handlebars (500 mm) to ridiculously long handlebars (800+ mm)

the OEM grips appeared to be ESI Chunky grips or similar - have you tried them (before switching out) ?
Old 05-29-22, 11:55 AM
DowneasTTer

Well their as ready as we are for a nice trip to the Withlacoochee in the AM. Both bikes have the following changes: Topeak racks, Ergon G-3 grips, fiber water bottle cages, Fizik Antares saddles, carbon Whiskey no 7 seat posts, and carbon handle bars cut to 600mm. The stem on mine was increased from the standard 70 mm to 90mm. Also swapped out the 35mm and 48mm tires for 30mms. We have ridden them around the neighborhood done some rough adjustments and will take them to the trail in the morning. Here they are on Max, the smart.

Oh and since we name everything (Max for example) these bikes are Davy and Daisy.
Old 06-03-22, 11:09 AM
DowneasTTer

The hydro brakes are due here today. So after they replace the mechanical Teckpros we'll be done with the upgrades for a while.
Old 06-05-22, 02:22 PM
DowneasTTer

Well all the upgrades are finally done on both bikes. No more are planned until after the summer travel season. The neat thing about these bikes for our travel is that due to the range of tire sizes the frame can accommodate will allow us to take only these bikes when traveling instead of carrying both road and mountain bikes with us as in past trips. I can change the tires on both bikes in less than an hour. have a set of 35c Panarace for gravel and use the Schwalbe G-One Speed 30 mm for the road. Here's are a couple of pictures of the finished bike showing the upgrades. Still can't understand why Litespeed put mechanical disc brakes on a $3k bike (even though they are really good mechanical disc brakes).

Likes For DowneasTTer:
Old 06-05-22, 08:23 PM
t2p

Agree about the mechanical disk brakes - but they might be one reason LS is able to offer that bike (frame only ?) for $3K.

Yes - 3K is a significant amount of money for a bike (frame only ?)- but for a top quality titanium frame / bike in 2022 it appears to be a great value.

Last edited by t2p; 06-05-22 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-06-22, 10:14 AM
DowneasTTer

Originally Posted by t2p
Agree about the mechanical disk brakes - but they might be one reason LS is able to offer that bike (frame only ?) for $3K.

Yes - 3K is a significant amount of money for a bike (frame only ?)- but for a top quality titanium frame / bike in 2022 it appears to be a great value.
I think you are right on. However, after just getting back from a 40 mile this morning, both my wife and I are thankful to Litespeed for creating such a unique bike realizing that the customer base for a $3k basically hybrid is not large especially here in the states where most flat bar road bikes owners don't want to spend over $1k.
Old 06-06-22, 11:32 AM
t2p

I've been away from cycling for some time (until recently) and have not checked too many prices - so I was not sure if it was frame only or bike for $3K

sheesh - in 1996 I paid $800 for a Litespeed frame (only) on close out from Colorado Cyclist

they did throw in a free calendar though !
Old 06-07-22, 09:57 AM
DowneasTTer

I guess Litespeed must be following this thread as it appears they raised the price of the base model by $246 to a base of $3245. Still quite a bargain looking at the frame cost $2395.00 plus $450 for the carbon fork.
Old 06-25-22, 05:46 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 221 Posts
Those are some beautiful bikes. I've spec'ed one and have it on my wishlist. I'm following to hear how your experience unfolds. How do you like the 1x drivetrain? I'm so familiar with the 2x11 on my Quick 1 I wonder about jumps between gears.

Last edited by Trav1s; 06-25-22 at 05:49 AM.
Old 07-01-22, 02:21 PM
DowneasTTer

Originally Posted by Trav1s
Those are some beautiful bikes. I've spec'ed one and have it on my wishlist. I'm following to hear how your experience unfolds. How do you like the 1x drivetrain? I'm so familiar with the 2x11 on my Quick 1 I wonder about jumps between gears.

Hi Trav1s, We are currently on the road with them. As of today we have added 789 miles to them and they have been living off the back of our Sprinter based motorhome for the past 3 weeks. Been through all kinds of weather and all types of conditions on rail trails. Just spend the last week on Cape Cod and the sand on the trails will eat up any good bike (so I've been told). So far both of these are rock solid wonderful rides. I plan of doing a ride report and update once we get back home in the fall. The real test for us will be once we get to Acadia National Park to ride the "Around the Mountain" loop. I will be changing out the tires for that however.
Old 07-01-22, 02:42 PM
DowneasTTer

Originally Posted by Trav1s
Sorry really didn't answer your ? regarding the 1 X 11 system. First you need to understand we are both in our 70's so top speed is not in the cards anymore. Also we tend to ride on Rails to Trails now instead of car infested roads and most of them are quite flat. That said our first jump into the 1 x realm was of Canyon RoadLite 9 LTD's. Love the idea of no front deraileur. There is a larger jump between gears on the cassette and in our case we speced out a larger than normal range up to 42 t. This was because we wanted to use the bikes as our only one on our RV travels that take us from Rail Trails to carriage roads at Acadia National Park to the gravel on PEI's Confederation Trail System. So far it was the right choice.
Likes For DowneasTTer:
Old 09-28-22, 07:04 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 221 Posts
How's the travels? Still on the road or hunkered down and safe from the hurricane? Any more thoughts on these fine rides?

These bikes really caught my attention and have me thinking about a future replacement for my Cannondale Quick 1...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.