Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Chain comments

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-20, 04:47 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
Chain comments

I have a couple of my bikes (actually a bike and a trike) that are used for grocery duty and I have a big ass chain and lock for them. Once again, some guy says to me as I am locking up that if someone really wanted the bike they would get it. (Which is of course true). And I once again state the obvious that I am near the front of the store and getting through the chain is going to take time, and that I just try to make it hard enough so prospective thieves will go elsewhere. Why is it that people so often feel it necessary to comment on my lock and chain?
Old 01-18-20, 05:06 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucillle
Why is it that people so often feel it necessary to comment on my lock and chain?
Because some people just like to provoke debates and arguments.....If you state the obvious to them they still don't get it, just walk away an ignore them and continue to do what you're doing. There is no point of debating with someone who "just doesn't get it".
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-18-20, 05:12 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by lucillle
i have a couple of my bikes (actually a bike and a trike) that are used for grocery duty and i have a big ass chain and lock for them. Once again, some guy says to me as i am locking up that if someone really wanted the bike they would get it. (which is of course true). And i once again state the obvious that i am near the front of the store and getting through the chain is going to take time, and that i just try to make it hard enough so prospective thieves will go elsewhere. Why is it that men so often feel it necessary to comment on my lock and chain?

fify
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 01-18-20, 07:03 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Every day thieves steal expensive cars with alarms so just go about your business after you lock the bike.
Old 01-18-20, 08:44 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Advocating for the devil here, but is this lock and chain comically large and heavy? Something like that is bound to draw comments or questions. And if the purpose of said lock and chain is to simply keep honest people honest, would it necessarily need to be very large? Obviously, it’s not practical to swap through several different locks in an attempt to match the lock to the situation, but to a non cyclist a comically large lock and chain applied for a simple in-and-out quick stop might appear laughable. Such an incongruity might trigger unsolicited comments.

Were it me, I probably would have smiled and refrained from responding to the comment.

-Kedosto
Old 01-18-20, 09:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
It depends on the chain and lock security. Some stuff can be easily defeated and certainly when one is less secure than the other it can make it worse. The top end 12mm chain from Schlage/Kyrptonite (New York) took two hits from a sledge hammer and was broken. The 7mm Abus chain didn't get broken even after 3 different people trying to bust it for 15 minutes and people just gave up.

If I have a good secure set up and use good locking practices I generally don't worry about stupid comments. If not I might worry a touch more especially in higher theft areas.
Old 01-18-20, 09:11 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucillle
I have a couple of my bikes (actually a bike and a trike) that are used for grocery duty and I have a big ass chain and lock for them. Once again, some guy says to me as I am locking up that if someone really wanted the bike they would get it. (Which is of course true).
Yes, it's true.

But there are at least two complementary approaches to minimizing the risk of losing your bike:

1) Use the biggest, toughest, bad-a** chain and lock you can find.

2) Make your bike less attractive to thieves than surrounding bikes.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 01-18-20, 09:29 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Yes, it's true.

But there are at least two complementary approaches to minimizing the risk of losing your bike:

1) Use the biggest, toughest, bad-a** chain and lock you can find.

2) Make your bike less attractive to thieves than surrounding bikes.
Excellent list!!! And my #3 for the list, I have a few bikes that never get parked and left outside. So far, it's worked.