Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Jandd rack: removing old powdercoat

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-21, 09:34 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts

I have a rear pannier rack that's looking pretty shabby. The powder coating is flaking off, and I'd like to use it if I can get it cleaned up. I'm considering taking it to get media blasted and either keeping it silver or repainting it. Otoh, is there an easy'ish way to get the old coating off myself without marring up the aluminum real bad? If not, then I'll definitely repaint it. Maybe some tacky color to match the splash bar tape
Thanks!
Old 06-15-21, 09:45 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Lots of internet notes suggest chemical strippers at home. Make sure whatever you choose is aluminum safe.

Sand blasting (your media of choice) gives a good finishing surface.
Old 06-15-21, 09:53 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Lots of internet notes suggest chemical strippers at home. Make sure whatever you choose is aluminum safe.

Sand blasting (your media of choice) gives a good finishing surface.
Yeah, I know there's stuff all over the web about it. I guess I'd rather fish around here to see what's been the experience with BF members I tend to trust more...ie. what's been used and to what effect

I've yet to call the place that does blasting, so I don't even know how much it'll cost. If it's cheap enough (prices on so many things have gone up), I'll probably just go ahead and do that. But, to satisfy curiosity in the meantime, here I ask
Old 06-15-21, 10:12 PM
CliffordK

I hadn't thought much about rack finishes. Are you sure it isn't anodized?
Old 06-15-21, 10:46 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

I hadn't thought much about rack finishes. Are you sure it isn't anodized?
To be honest, no....I"m not sure. It really looks like powdercoat, though, the way it's flaking. I don't have any pictures or I"d show.
Old 06-15-21, 11:28 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by thook
To be honest, no....I"m not sure. It really looks like powdercoat, though, the way it's flaking. I don't have any pictures or I"d show.
I don't believe anodized flakes... at least not in the same way. It will wear. It should be imperceptibly thin.

Paint will certainly flake.

I'm not sure powder flakes. Everything I've seen, it is like a heavy plastic, and remains slightly malleable, I think. So, it is more likely to scratch, or even surface dent.

For paint or powder, it may depend on the surface prep. Or, whether corrosion is able to get under the finish.
Old 06-15-21, 11:54 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

I don't believe anodized flakes... at least not in the same way. It will wear. It should be imperceptibly thin.

Paint will certainly flake.

I'm not sure powder flakes. Everything I've seen, it is like a heavy plastic, and remains slightly malleable, I think. So, it is more likely to scratch, or even surface dent.

For paint or powder, it may depend on the surface prep. Or, whether corrosion is able to get under the finish.
i know hard anodizing won't flake....like on rims and such, but i have seen regular (?) anodized parts flake... particularly on aluminum...which this rack is. i guess i'll have to do some poking around on the web to get some kind of verification. maybe even contact jandd, if it becomes that important. in either case, i'm sure a good blasting will take whatever it is off....if i can't get it to come off myself...lol
Old 06-15-21, 11:59 PM
CliffordK

If it is anodized, you may be able to feather out any imperfections, then clean and paint.

Of course flaking could be a sign of some more serious issues.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 06-16-21, 11:49 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,799 Times in 2,284 Posts
Anodization won't flake off. Stolen from the interwebs:

"Anodizing is an electrochemical process for producing controlled aluminum oxide films on aluminum. ... Unlike paint, which can flake off if not applied properly, anodized aluminum finishes are actually formed from the original material and cannot flake off."