Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Palos Verdes to/from Long Beach

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-22, 08:35 PM
glite109

Bikes: MTB, eMTB, cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Please share experience biking between Palos Verdes and Long Beach.
LA River bikeway to dusty W Anaheim St?
LA River thru awful off ramp traffic at Del Amo?
LA River to CA-1, to Carson St (looks OK)?
Or, risk ticket on picturesque Seaside Fwy (with fat tire bike)?
Old 02-13-22, 08:53 PM
glite109

Bikes: MTB, eMTB, cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newport - Huntington - Long Beach - Palos Verdes

I live in Huntington Beach and ride to the Wedge in Newport Beach frequently.

I really want to enjoy going North from Long Beach, thru Palos Verdes - Redondo - Marina del Rey - Venice - Santa Monica.

The Long Beach bikeway is fantastic, with separate pedestrian and bike lanes. Can really crank it through there.

But… Getting between Long Beach and Palos Verdes is miserable, since “they” opted not to put a bike lane on the Seaside Freeway over the Vincent Thomas Bridge.

If you ever said the heck with it, and rode that freeway, please share your experience!
Old 02-13-22, 10:27 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
All routes in that area seem to have their own negatives, just pick what you think is the best of the bad. I've only done it on Anaheim St between where Palo Verde Dr North turns into Anaheim in the Harbor/Gateway area and the L.A. River (west to east). About 4 miles of no-man's land; the roads have lots of trucks, the neighborhood is sketchy, and lots of trash in the street. Sometimes the shoulder is wide enough, sometimes its not, and lots of stretches with cars parallel parked at the curb you have to watch for (car doors opening suddenly). Its four miles, I always just sucked it up and dealt with it. I might have to look into the Carson St/ PCH route to see if that's any better if I do it again (maybe this fall).
Old 02-14-22, 02:37 AM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Some good input when I asked about it: https://www.bikeforums.net/southern-...-pv-route.html
Old 02-14-22, 03:04 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
the farther southwest you can get is best. lots of truck traffic but it is sloooow and they are more aware than the average suv bear farther north like on pch, carson, etc.

the anaheim/alameda/harry bridges/john s. gibson gauntlet is the best/fastest of the worst/necessary evil. try otherwise if you have an exquisite sense of humor/the absurd
and you enjoy courting danger as an unpaid hobby. extra care on the multiple railroad crossings.

and no...do not ride ca hwy 47/vincent thomas bridge on a bike in either direction. if you are contemplating it, seriously seek mental health assistance/help. please.

Last edited by diphthong; 02-14-22 at 03:28 AM.
Old 03-04-22, 05:56 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
Back in the day (early 2010s) when I lived in the LBC we did the jaunt fairly frequently. Anaheim was the default choice. Potholes, debris, and punctures were definitely risks but I don't recall too many of us puncturing at a higher than usual rate.

I've done the bridge once (excluding on the TdC when they closed it to cars and blocked the pavement gaps) and it ranks among the scariest things I've ever done.
Old 03-09-22, 12:53 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
dealing with approx 20% of all cargo to the ultimate, consumerism country has a downside or two. one is navigating the area. could be worse.
i'll take it any day vs navigating the semi-nearish, marvin braude bike path any day after 11am.