Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Where do you draw the line between...

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-22, 09:33 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts

I have a Rodriguez, built to my specifications for what I thought would be suitable for any road on any continent on the planet. Features such as: S&S couplings & 26 inch wheels for airline travel, Rolhoff & dynamo hubs, good & strong Velocity Cliffhanger rims for wide tubeless tires, super extended chain stays & a slack head tube for stability under crushing load of expedition gear.

The end of Garcia road by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

What I hadn't anticipated when I commissioned the Rodriguez nearly 4 years ago was the need for tires larger than 2.1 inches for road use. Gravel roads are still roads, after all. Currently "Bessie" is adjourned with Compass 559x58 (54 actual) tires at 35 psi & I've found myself seeking roads that the Strava Global heatmap show as untraveled.

3 times yesterday while climbing roads that the guys in lifted Jeeps usually seek out to crawl around in 4/low, I bottomed out on the sharp jagged rocks.

Bottoming out while crawling slowly enough to gingerly pick & choose my line & avoid the rim banging bigger chunk (both up & down) got me to thinkin' a mountain bike would be better suited for these "roads" I've been riding.

Is there a "gravel" bike that will take wider than 58mm tires? Is there a modern, current production, rigid "mountain" bike that a drop bar conversion would make sense for?

Where do you draw the line between "gravel" & "mountain?"

Last edited by base2; 04-25-22 at 09:43 AM.
Likes For base2:
Old 04-25-22, 10:07 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Your desire and situation is so far beyond the sweet spot that gravel bikes are designed for that you should definitely look elsewhere. You have 2.25" tires and need something wider? That is very much fatbike/MTB territory.
Find something with boost spacing and a wide crankset, then go have fun.

As for gravel roads being roads, yes I agree and that is how I approach cycling. But what you describe are not gravel roads in any common use of the term than I have heard. Nobody needs lifted jeeps to travel on any gravel road I have ridden.
That isnt to say there needs to be an argument over what is or isnt 'gravel' because that is quite pointless. The actual point here is that what you seek is something very much at the far end of the spectrum. Maybe a drop bar fat bike would be good for your style of riding?
Old 04-25-22, 03:26 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Bikes like the Surly Ghost Grappler will accommodate 2.8" tires if you run 27.5" (650B) wheels.

Some 27.5" bikes can also run "26 +" wheels and tires, up to 3" wide.
Old 04-25-22, 03:55 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I'll admit that I'm typically more on the road end of the gravel spectrum, but I have never understood the desire to run drop bars on MTB's or fat bikes. The line for me is around 45-50mm. Beyond that, I'm on a flat bar MTB.
Old 04-25-22, 04:37 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
The new Ritchey Ascent came to mind after reading the OP
https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/bi...scent-frameset

​It's a bike I'd love to try one day.
Likes For katsup:
Old 04-25-22, 07:59 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
I'm on the "adventure" side of "gravel". I do lots of rides that link up pavement, clean gravel roads, chunky dirt roads or roads with mushy or powdery dirt, and challenging singletrack. I find a 2.4" tire is a good compromise on a rigid drop bar bike.- but not an MTB with suspension.
Old 04-25-22, 09:16 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Lael Wilcox rode the 2019 Tour Divide on a Specialized Epic hardtail with drop bars and 2.1 inch tires. A Salsa Cutthroat can handle 700c x 2.4 tires.
From the looks of your Rodriguez I'm guessing you bottom out on the chainring. Couldn't you just put a smaller ring on?
Old 04-25-22, 09:31 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Lets see... you were on a gravel bike in the mountains???

Man it looks like you have a nice bike. I would not change anything on it...
Old 04-26-22, 02:52 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Sounds like a call for a Michigan-made Bearclaw. Beaux Jaxson is their rop bar, gravel geo, built around 27.5x3” or 700x2.6” rubber, and Towmak goes fat 27.5x4.5” or 26x5 with gravel friendly geo and drop bars:

https://bearclawbicycleco.com/beaux-...vel-plus-bike/

https://bearclawbicycleco.com/towmak/
Old 04-26-22, 03:56 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Old 04-26-22, 07:39 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Whoa! Hey guys, these are all great suggestions. The field has evidently come a long ways in the last little bit.

Owning a 2016 Ascent Breakaway for what I call "fast gravel" I hadn't realized the new one is so much more capable. At $1300 it is a pretty compelling suggestion.

The Towmak: As wicked as that thing looks, I have a feeling I'd like to ride one first. I've been on the look out for a MukLuk ever since a customer brought one in to the shop. So, yeah. They're cool but, they seem like a bridge too far for me for anything but snow. For that I have Zwift. The Beaux Jaxon however seems like the backside of the new Ritchey Ascent coin.

The Cutthroat: TBH the Cutty had crossed my mind after I hit "Post" on post number one. I like the idea it is suspension corrected but isn't appreciably different than what I have now.

Lael is just awesome. For reasons not germane to the discussion, I'd rather not discuss Specialized though. They are out of contention.

The Surly Ghost Grappler is another one I'll need to consider. I had never heard of it until just now.

Thanks guys! I'm off to a good start with 4 solid suggestions & it looks like I have some homework to do. ​​​​​​​

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 04-28-22, 07:33 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Open WI.DE. handles 2.4 inch. Salsa Cutthroat may be close to that. Bombtrack Beyond maybe is in there too.
Old 04-28-22, 07:36 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Nice build BTW!
Old 04-29-22, 02:05 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
https://bikepacking.com/index/650b-gravel-bikes/

Going to a 27.5x2.1+ tyre will get the cranks off the rocks in most cases.

In the smallest sizes, some of the above 27.5 bikes/framesets are designed around a big 26 [2.6-2-8] like a couple of the Crust bikes there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bluelug/32804026247

Last edited by tangerineowl; 04-29-22 at 02:10 AM.
Old 04-29-22, 08:49 AM
Monkey Face

Bikes: Giant Revolt 2. Velo Orange Pass Hunter flat bar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts
Please indulge me, so I can understand this better. What do you mean by 'bottoming out'? My definition of that would be the cranks hitting objects as I pedal, so the obvious answer is a higher BB and slightly shorter crank arms - and 700c rims to provide more clearance (most likely a different bike). If it's tyres that are 'flattening', then tubeless tyres are the answer, and/or slightly more pressure. If it's bottoming out on gear selection, then it's the wrong choice of chainset and/or cassette. Am I missing something? Thanks.

Gorgeous bike, by the way, but is it possible that it's the wrong bike for the terrain?
Old 04-29-22, 09:53 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Originally Posted by Monkey Face
Please indulge me, so I can understand this better. What do you mean by 'bottoming out'? My definition of that would be the cranks hitting objects as I pedal, so the obvious answer is a higher BB and slightly shorter crank arms - and 700c rims to provide more clearance (most likely a different bike). If it's tyres that are 'flattening', then tubeless tyres are the answer, and/or slightly more pressure. If it's bottoming out on gear selection, then it's the wrong choice of chainset and/or cassette. Am I missing something? Thanks.

Gorgeous bike, by the way, but is it possible that it's the wrong bike for the terrain?
"Bottoming out" = banging rim on rocks.

"Bottoming out" does not mean not low enough gears. 17.5 gear inches is plenty low for any terrain I have ever rode. Going lower has proven largely gratuitous as there isn't enough purchase per pedal stroke to get moving again if for whatever reason you lose traction, stop, or roll off the back side of a big rock. 17gi is about the bottom of being practical IME, for me.

Bottoming out does not refer to pedal strike or chain ring strike. (At least I haven't yet) The bike was designed with the pedal spindle at 11.5 inches from ground. So fairly high as far as road bikes go. I'm savvy as to crank arm position.

Currently, on this bike, as stated in the original post, I'm running tubeless 35psi on 559x58 (54 actual) tires. Running higher pressure has killed a few tires. IME the casing & tread separate. I had a Panaracer thread about that.
What I need is more distance between the rim & the rocks that they call a road. Hence the ask for similarly capable bikes that can accommodate taller rubber.

I've put a Surly Ghost Grappler on my shopping list but QBP does not have any in stock. Departing the implications of the 2022 Ascent now.

Oh, & thanks! It is an awesome bike. Perhaps that is why I keep pushing it to it's limits!

Last edited by base2; 04-29-22 at 09:56 AM.
Likes For base2:
Old 04-29-22, 08:29 PM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
I've put a Surly Ghost Grappler on my shopping list but QBP does not have any in stock.
Framesets in stock here: https://www.philbricks.com/surly-gho...-frameset.html

Originally Posted by base2
Departing the implications of the 2022 Ascent now.
I'm about a week away from pulling the trigger on one, myself. (Technically, it's a 2021 model, btw.)
Old 05-01-22, 07:36 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Originally Posted by Rolla
Framesets in stock here: https://www.philbricks.com/surly-gho...-frameset.html

I'm about a week away from pulling the trigger on one, myself. (Technically, it's a 2021 model, btw.)
Aargh! Extra Large is all that's left.
Good lookin' out though.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2: