Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hi, I'm new here (well not really, but)

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-12-22, 09:02 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts

Well kids, today I'm "officially" "allowed" to wander around in here. For whatever that means (har) --I've been on BF for a long time, and until now (literally), didn't feel it was proper etiquette to post/reply in this forum. NOT ANY MORE BUAHAHAHA!

Anyhoo, happy to be here. I think. Still working through the "ok, so WTH does turning 50 [i]mean/[i], anyway?"

Some will point to kids being out or nearly out of the house; mine are 11 and 13, so still have a few years yet (and honestly, I'm totally looking forward to them). Closer to retirement? Sure, except I see myself working (in some fashion) into my seventies. Ooh! I can enter in Masters categories in local races. Yeah that's fun. In Colorado, where ex-pros come to retire and blow the wheels off of anyone, anytime, any age. So yeah, kinda "just another birthday" but I'm trying to find some significance, at least to equate the hoopla that's going to surround me tonight. So maybe it's now I can come hang here, with you all. Okay, that's comforting.

Now off for a bday ride, where I'm purposely planning in multiple brewery stops. Fifty!
Likes For superdex:
Old 05-12-22, 10:07 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 548 Posts
Welcome to the over 50 crowd. Now you're getting close to the average cyclists age....or at least that it how it seems to me based on the ones I see on the streets or at the recent charity ride I attended recently.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 05-12-22, 11:12 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
The significance is that age is going to start giving you a little cachet. You'll start getting, "I hope I'm as strong as you when I grow up" kind of thing. Maybe not yet, maybe another 8 years or so, but you're starting to get there.

Welcome to the club. It's not all downhill from here . . . yet. Live long and prosper.
Old 05-12-22, 12:31 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
we have fun! so glad you're joining us!
Likes For HeyItsSara:
Old 05-12-22, 03:21 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 3,298 Posts
Welcome!

It's always nice to have others to commiserate with and share in the misery of getting older. <grin>

It's not all bad though. It's nice that careers start slowing down a little and leave time to ride more and do other things. Though I'm still wondering what was meant by these being the golden years that I use to hear about all my younger life.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-12-22, 03:49 PM
big john

Quoted: 8254 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
50 meant nothing to me. It wasn't until after 55 that I started to notice the decline in on-bike performance. I'm now 68. I wouldn't advise working into your 70s, if you can help it. Unless you really love your job. To me, retirement was the best change ever in my life. I retired at 65 and wish I could have done it sooner,
Likes For big john:
Old 05-12-22, 04:37 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
My father told me he didn't start to feel old until I hit 50. (He was 71, my current age, at the time). He told me he really felt old 2-1/2 years later when my brother turned 50.

We celebrated my mother-in-law's 97th birthday a couple of weeks ago. Her four kids, of which my wife is second-eldest, now neatly straddle age 70.

My wife and I enjoy empty-nesting, particularly since our sons and their families live within a 5-mile radius of our house. We were just about in your situation in 22 years ago, with a 16-year-old and an 11-year-old in the house. Things were a bit tight, because we never upsized our housing situation when the boys were growing up, which means we are once again "right-sized."
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 05-13-22, 06:38 AM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
Well kids, today I'm "officially" "allowed" to wander around in here. For whatever that means (har) --I've been on BF for a long time, and until now (literally), didn't feel it was proper etiquette to post/reply in this forum. NOT ANY MORE BUAHAHAHA!

Anyhoo, happy to be here. I think. Still working through the "ok, so WTH does turning 50 mean/, anyway?"

Some will point to kids being out or nearly out of the house; mine are 11 and 13, so still have a few years yet (and honestly, I'm totally looking forward to them). Closer to retirement? Sure, except I see myself working (in some fashion) into my seventies. Ooh! I can enter in Masters categories in local races. Yeah that's fun. In Colorado, where ex-pros come to retire and blow the wheels off of anyone, anytime, any age. So yeah, kinda "just another birthday" but I'm trying to find some significance, at least to equate the hoopla that's going to surround me tonight. So maybe it's now I can come hang here, with you all. Okay, that's comforting.

Now off for a bday ride, where I'm purposely planning in multiple brewery stops. Fifty!

Never fear, lots of milestones ahead. There's the Facebook group which I run for 65 Plus, there is another Facebook group for which I qualify for 80 plus. So you got a long ways to go, but companionship along the way.
Old 05-14-22, 06:32 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 433 Posts
You'll find that 50 (for some) is not a lot different regarding cycling than any other age, at least for those of us who have been graced with good health. Been eligible for this forum for 21 years now, and happy to still be doing the riding I do. And though I don't accumulate the mileage of some here, always inspiring to hear of those "older" riders with high goals and the accomplishments. Looking back, while trail riding, and reaching the top of a particularly challenging hill (and passing a younger rider), had a funny moment. We all stopped at the crest of the hill, to cool off. The "youngster" asked how old I was. At the time I was 50 and he remarked that he hoped to still be trail riding at my age! LOL!! Here it is 21 years later and still riding (road mostly but off-road also)). Yeah, things are a little different-might pass on sections I'd ride prev., but still at it!! Welcome to the "older"? forum. Only another 15 yrs. 'till you're eligible for another one!

Last edited by freeranger; 05-14-22 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-14-22, 09:01 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,072 Posts
Under 20 is childhood.20-29 is unquestionably young.
The thirties, being next to the twenties, are still young.

The forties are only a decade away from young.

Fifties. Well this gets harder because they are next door to the sixties, which are unquestionably not young. But still, the fifties are not the sixties, so now we've transitioned from claiming youth to denying being old. So still good.

Sixties you can stop playing the young game. No, seriously, stop. The good news is, with a bit of luck and some good choices early in life things might still be functioning pretty well. Enjoy every day.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 05-14-22, 10:06 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,579 Times in 2,895 Posts
What does turning 50 mean? It means you will get countless solicitations from AARP, just to rub it in. For those of us who keep working out/cycling 50 doesn’t feel any different than 40. And 60 doesn’t feel any different than 50 and ….. not quite there yet.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-24-22, 09:27 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 301 Posts
Welcome to the club. The conversation is usually very chill on this site yet the experience and knowledge of the group is vast!
Old 05-25-22, 11:11 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3854 Post(s)
Liked 6,448 Times in 3,188 Posts
"What did he saaaay?"

[skip to 1:57]
Old 05-26-22, 07:10 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
If it helps any all of my PR's, longest rides and greatest cycling memories occurred after the age of 50!!! Of course I didn't start cycling until I was 50 so there you go........