Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Old 03-09-20, 05:45 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Sir............you are a testament to what is kind and good in humanity. Thank you.
Glad to hear that Sharon will be OK. I mentioned her and her gluten free cookies over in the CCRT thread. Sir, you are a testament to what is kind and good and trusting in humanity and America today. You gave a total stranger the keys to your van and trusted he would come back with it. Of course that was quite likely in that neighborhood but still, what a wierd world we live in these days.
Old 03-09-20, 08:24 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
took a spill at walking speed, my sweetie couldn't continue. Many people stopped to help. The first to stop was another cyclist who then offered to ride back to Depot Park and pick up our car which was big enough to hold the tandem. I took him up on the offer and gave him the key. Half an hour later we were off to medical assistance.Sir, whoever and wherever you are, whether you read this or not, you are a testament to what is kind and good in humanity. Thank you.
sorry to hear that & glad it wasn't worse. reminds me when Wifey crashed & broke her wrist, a cpl years ago. at that time, a good Samaritan volunteered to take Wifey to the ER & another watched her bike. I rode back to get our car, then her bike & then her at the ER, just as she was leaving in a cast. nice to have good Samaritans, huh!?
Old 03-10-20, 11:10 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
I actually got outside yesterday! It was so beautiful out. I tried to do too much (for me). And I actually thought I wa s going to be able to ride the PMC this year. A ride to town to have a bowl of soup and back home was exhausting for me!
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 03-10-20, 11:35 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Next step - driving! My neurologist thinks I have to have a road test. My license is not suspended - I confimed that. I wouldn't have any legal difficulties if I got stopped.
Old 03-11-20, 10:06 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 885 Posts
We took the tandem out today, didn't get as far as we wanted. After four and half miles we took a spill at walking speed, starting from a standstill on a slight uphill. I think we got hit by a gust of wind. It was pretty windy.

Yikes, Jim & Sharon! May any necessary mending be swift!

rod
Old 03-12-20, 08:30 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
My neurologist thinks I have to have a road test
my Mom had a TIA (not the same as you) but I don't think she had to get a new driving test
Old 03-14-20, 05:17 PM
rholland1951

Took a 10-mile spin on the Minuteman late Saturday afternoon, cleared my lungs and cleared my head. Gotta remember that that works.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 03-14-20 at 08:26 PM.
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 03-15-20, 06:57 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Give your sweetie my best wishes, I look forward to seeing you two on the road soon.
Old 03-15-20, 07:07 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Yesterday was a great day for an all day ride. I packed snacks, a coffee mug, my Bluetooth speaker, and a zip up cycling fleece and rode from home to Myles Standish Forest. It took me 5 hours to get there. My plan was to ride around and find a campsite for my September mini tour. Once I got to the park I only had about an hour until Mrs Ghazmh and the kids were to rendezvous with me. So instead of making it to the camp area I rode around the park for maybe 20 minutes before heading back to the entrance to sit and rest after the long 74 mile ride. I sat and finished my coffee and reveled in the days accomplishment.

The ride from home to Boston and down to Bridgewater was as usual pretty forgettable. Once in Bridgewater the steady stream of traffic slowed. Once there I could let AC/DC motivate me uphill. I finally took a few pics from Myles Standish before I secured my 520 atop my car piloted my Mrs Ghazmh just before heading into Plymouth for dinner.

Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 03-15-20, 05:14 PM
Ghazmh

Today I got off to a late morning start. The roads have been clean for a while so I had no excuse not to ride my Seven. I gleefully took it down from its garage ceiling hooks and prepped it for a ride. It was a cool 37 mile ride. Sunny and absolutely wonderful in all the ways only a Sunday ride can be.
Old 03-15-20, 05:52 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Yesterday was a great day for an all day ride.I packed snacks, a coffee mug, my Bluetooth speaker, and a zip up cycling fleece and rode from home to Myles Standish Forest. It took me 5 hours to get there.

My plan was to ride around and find a campsite for my September mini tour. Once I got to the park I only had about an hour until Mrs Ghazmh and the kids were to rendezvous with me. So instead of making it to the camp area I rode around the park for maybe 20 minutes before heading back to the entrance to sit and rest after the long 74 mile ride. I sat and finished my coffee and reveled in the days accomplishment.
Hi @Ghazmh,

I enjoyed and was impressed by your ride description, especially so early in the year. As I have posted about this Metro Boston thread,
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"Metro Boston: Good ride today?,” IMO the de facto Metro Boston subforum on the Northeast Regional Discussion Forum:
...I like to write up my rides, as do others on a local discussion thread {link) here in Boston, and for me, it’s more a journal for myself, than for the amusement of other subscribers, though I hope others would find it interesting.

Of course we in Metro Boston all know the region, and each other, at least electronically, so we are a ready receptive audience for each other.

I have thought of that thread as the cycling equivalent of “apres-ski” after a day on the slopes, where we gather to exchange stories, routes, photos, ribbing, and (?) tall tales…
FYA there is a thread on the general Cycling Forum:
Originally Posted by Crosis
"A great cycling day"

Today it was 84 degrees, bright sun and no clouds. I took out the new Trek Checkpoint ALR5. It performed like a gem. Smooth ride indeed. We did about 20 miles. All in all it was a great day to be in the saddle.
The OP does not indicate his location, but I think it would be amusing to post your ride description on that thread to show BF how hardy we Metro Bostonians are, and rebut those sunny-faced cyclists' patronizing attitudes, e.g.
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
"14f degrees and not even winter yet" [11/22/18]

Gonna be a long wait for those June temps to come back
Originally Posted by tyrion
Getting close to 70° here. Might go swimming to cool off after my ride.
I think these lame winter cycling threads really “jump the shark,” when the California and Florida cyclists chime in.
Especially a chilly photo with the bare trees.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-15-20 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-15-20, 06:30 PM
Ghazmh

Hi @Ghazmh,

I enjoyed and was impressed by your ride description, especially so early in the year. As I have posted about this Metro Boston thread, FYA there is a thread on the general Cycling Forum:
The OP does not indicate his location, but I think it would be amusing to post your ride description on that thread to show BF how hardy we Metro Bostonians are, and rebut those sunny-faced cyclists' patronizing attitudes, e.g.
Especially a chilly photo with the bare trees.
why thank you sir! It was comfortably cool. Warm enough that I wasn’t cold but cool enough that I wasn’t sweaty. I wore shorts and a long sleeve wool (advertised as wool but mostly polyester) jersey with my Goretex baselayer. Only when I stopped to rest and enjoy my coffee did I throw on the fleece. I partially overpacked but I considered it a dry run for future ride. Albeit one where I was familiar with the route. The next Saturday before June when the weather and schedule permits I’ll be doing a similar ride but up to Portsmouth.

The plan as originally conceived early in the week was for us to rendezvous and go out to dinner in Plymouth. We were hesitant as the situation unfolded but ultimately decided to after all. It appears to have been the last evening before dining out was temporarily banned....
Old 03-16-20, 04:52 AM
Jim from Boston

We took the tandem out today, didn't get as far as we wanted. After four and half miles we took a spill at walking speed, starting from a standstill on a slight uphill. I think we got hit by a gust of wind. It was pretty windy.

Unfortunately my sweetie couldn't continue. Many people stopped to help. The first to stop was another cyclist who then offered to ride back to Depot Park and pick up our car which was big enough to hold the tandem. I took him up on the offer and gave him the key. Half an hour later we were off to medical assistance.

Sir, whoever and wherever you are, whether you read this or not, you are a testament to what is kind and good in humanity. Thank you.
Originally Posted by Prowler
Glad to hear that Sharon will be OK.

Sir, you are a testament to what is kind and good and trusting in humanity and America today. You gave a total stranger the keys to your van and trusted he would come back with it. Of course that was quite likely in that neighborhood but still, what a wierd world we live in these days.
Hi @jimmuller,

Dittos to all the above wishes, When I read the first line of your post, taking a spill at walking speed, I thought maybe you were starting to learn clipless pedals.
Real cyclists use toeclips.
I once posted in reply to one of yours about doing good deeds on the Road:
...When I see someone with a problem (typically a flat tire) I almost always ask...

I'll say again, when we individually attempt to be a good citizen we make the world a friendlier place..
Jim, I’d like to salute your white knight rescue of a damsel in distress
I once posted regarding good deeds that cyclists perform as a result of their nimbleness, flexibility, and accessibility is that we are the Knights Errant of the Road.
Maybe we cyclists should promote that image as Knights Errant of the Road, à la The Knights of the Round Table when cagers complain about us as nuisances.
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
A knight-errant is a figure of medieval chivalric romance literature.

The adjective errant (meaning "wandering, roving") indicates how the knight-errant would wander the land in search of adventures to prove his chivalric virtues, either in knightly duels (pas d'armes) [daring rescues] or in some other pursuit of courtly love.
On one of the worst winter days I have ridden by bike on studded tires, I was able to stop three different times, to push hapless drivers spinning their wheels on icy roads to get onto less slippery patches.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-16-20 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-16-20, 06:03 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Hi @jimmuller,

Dittos to all the above wishes, When I read the first line of your post, taking a spill at walking speed, I thought maybe you were starting to learn clipless pedals.

Jim-f-B, thanks for the well wishes. Actually, I wishes it hadn't happened but second best is wishes it turns out better sooner. Sharon is doing well.

That guy who helped us deserves the title of Sir or better.

This has been a rough winter. The weather (even without any monster snowstorms), various commitments, and other distractions have not let me ride as much as I'd like nor us ride the tandem much. In compensation we have done lots of walking. Now of course we are all riding out a more serious storm. Lets us hope it abates sooner rather than later and with minimal long-term effects.
Likes For jimmuller:
Old 03-16-20, 06:44 AM
Jim from Boston

Yesterday was a great day for an all day ride. I packed snacks, a coffee mug, my Bluetooth speaker, and a zip up cycling fleece and rode from home to Myles Standish Forest. It took me 5 hours to get there.

My plan was to ride around and find a campsite for my September mini tour. Once I got to the park I only had about an hour until Mrs Ghazmh and the kids were to rendezvous with me...

I sat and finished my coffee and reveled in the days accomplishment.
...The next Saturday before June when the weather and schedule permits I’ll be doing a similar ride but up to Portsmouth.

The plan as originally conceived early in the week was for us to rendezvous and go out to dinner in Plymouth. We were hesitant as the situation unfolded but ultimately decided to after all. It appears to have been the last evening before dining out was temporarily banned....
That’s a nice way to to mingle (long distance, time consuming) cycling with family activities. I have posted on a few threads:
Originally Posted by jeff400650
"I'm taking off on another 2 day trip tomorrow"

I've been doing these fun rides lately... Pick a cool town about 50 or 60 scenic miles away. Book a nice room near town. Ride there (in my case, with my dog along). And then have my wife drive there to meet for a nice, romantic night on the town. It takes her an hour or two, to drive to where it takes me and my 20LB dog to get in a leisurely 6 hours or so. Some fine dining. A hike. Shopping. Maybe live music.

Next morning, charming breakfast, etc... Then I ride home, usually a different route.

It has been great. I get two days of serious riding, and she gets fun little get-a-ways close to home. We are exploring towns near us that we would otherwise never spend a night in, except that for a cyclist, it is a day's journey.

Healdsburg, CA. a few weeks ago
Halfmoon Bay, CA. a couple weeks ago
Tomorrow, Guerneville, CA. Staying at a place built in 1905. Cabins on the Russian River.

I guess you could call it short range, luxury touring with a spousal inclusion component.

Anyone else into this kind of thing? Or lucky enough to have a girl that will do the rides with you?
...I recently posted: a couple years ago I thought about making up such list for weekend getaways, as you described, and posting to the local Metro Boston thread. We live in downtown Boston, and can go out in all directions (except eastward into the Atlantic Ocean).

So for here on the Right Coast, counterclockwise around Boston, such destinations would be:

• Newburyport, MA (did a mutual cycle trip there once)
  • Portsmouth, NH
  • Nashua, NH
  • Lowell, MA
  • Worcester, MA
  • Providence, RI (did a car weekend trip there)
  • Plymouth, MA (one mutual cycle trip there).
One other destination,within the ring of towns listed, is Cape Ann, about 40 miles north of Boston [where we have a home in Rockport].

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-18-20 at 03:45 AM.
Old 03-16-20, 08:11 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Jim and Sharon, sorry to hear about your mishap. Glad is was relatively minor. Hugs and kisses.
Old 03-19-20, 04:41 AM
Ghazmh

Late yesterday afternoon I rode my Seven for 36 socially isolated miles. I was pleasantly mindful of the reduced traffic and surprised to see so many other cyclists out riding along.
Old 03-19-20, 05:42 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
Jim and Sharon, sorry to hear about your mishap. Glad is was relatively minor. Hugs and kisses.
Thank you, Bern. Stay safe, stay healthy! (Let us wish that for everyone.)

Late yesterday afternoon I rode my Seven for 36 socially isolated miles. I was pleasantly mindful of the reduced traffic and surprised to see so many other cyclists out riding along.
Good to see. I managed to get out late yesterday afternoon and yesteryesterday afternoon also. Yesterday's traffic was light. The MM out of Alewife was so busy that I decided to go elsewhere. Did some exploring in what I think must be east Arlington.
Old 03-19-20, 02:42 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Today is social distancing heaven on the Minuteman.

But yes, I suggest considering the alternative route of Mass Ave. (I can’t believe I’m saying that.)

-mr. bill
Old 03-19-20, 05:02 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by mr_bill
I suggest considering the alternative route of Mass Ave. (I can’t believe I’m saying that.)
suddenly excited. I recall a good ride from home (Stowish) to my old stomping grounds at Porter Square via 2A & Mass Ave. might be time for a repeat if the roads are clear
Old 03-19-20, 05:38 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
suddenly excited. I recall a good ride from home (Stowish) to my old stomping grounds at Porter Square via 2A & Mass Ave. might be time for a repeat if the roads are clear
Jaywalking clear. (Not that you should, but....)

-mr. bill
Old 03-20-20, 07:59 AM
Ghazmh

Yesterday I got out for 26 wet unhurried yet necessary miles on my Allroads.
Old 03-20-20, 06:45 PM
Ghazmh

26 more miles today with the Allroads. It was nice and warm. Lots of others keeping isolated on their bikes too.
Old 03-20-20, 09:14 PM
rholland1951

Got out on the Rawland Nordavinden for a 20-mile mental health ride on the Minuteman Friday afternoon, just couldn't not enjoy the good weather during its brief appearance. The bikeway was thronged, with Easter Parade numbers and behaviors, and I found myself trying to calculate the density of the human exhalation aerosol in the volume of air I was passing through, before giving it up as being at cross-purposes with a mental health ride.

It wasn't all crowd control, though, and I only heard a few coughs.

The Hanscom AFB PA played The Star Spangled Banner as I turned around at Depot Park.

It's the end of the world as we know it? Maybe, but it was a good day for a ride.

The streets were empty, the Minuteman was congested, as were some of the Minuteman users. Next time, I'll ride on the road.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 03-21-20 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-21-20, 02:12 PM
mr_bill

Joy Spring Board of our Times

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.