Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

NYC Tri-State BMX bike shops?

Search
Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-12, 11:00 AM
BikeBklyn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm in Brooklyn and my two boys, 11 and 8 need good BMX bikes. I'm a lifelong bike enthusiast and want to move them up from their starter Target/ Wal-Mart bikes. We've done some initial research and I noticed that a bunch a BMX brands from my childhood are still around, like Haro and Diamond Back, etc.

Can anyone recommend a good bike shop in the tri-state area (can travel outside of city if necessary) that has a large selection of good bikes? A lot of the local shops only have a couple of bikes on display. Also any bike recommendations would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-14-12, 01:39 PM
Street rider
We win all charity rides

Bikes: BMX, fixed gear

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For a bike reccomendation, https://www.danscomp.com/serve/html/bikes.html. Try to get as much chromoly as possible. If your local shops don't carry any of these brands at all, especially none that have chromoly frame/forks, theres a problem with the shop.
Old 05-14-13, 11:53 AM
BLACK BIKE
Just ride it.

Bikes: S&M Black Bike, FIT 3.5s, KHS Solo One (destroyed in roof rack incident), Bianchi Pista (sold), Trek 6000 SS(temporarily dismantled), Trek 850 1x8 , Generic SS 20" folder, Kona Shonky, Sunday Wave-C, Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Long Island Bike Shop is the place to go. It's owned by BMX riders, and everyone who works there is a rider with tons of knowledge. They carry all of the high end brands like S&M, FIT, Odyssey, Profile, etc. I also saw some really nice mid range complete bikes the last time I was there. I've been buying my BMX parts there for years now. I don't live in NY anymore, but I try to stop there when I visit.

They're located on Merrick RD. off of RT. 112 in Suffolk County. It's a hike, but I felt it was worth the trip when I lived in Brooklyn.
Old 10-04-13, 05:23 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
If you head out to Suffolk County for bike shops, head over to Shoreham BMX track. Racing every Sunday. Very kid friendly environment. Tons of BMX riding kids and adults out there. My kids and I are addicted to it.