Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is there a way to tighten a freewheel?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 12-19-21, 06:54 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 181 Posts

I'm not talking about tightening it on the wheel but tightening the freewheel itself. My Suntour
Winner freewheel has a very small amount of inward outward play holding the center ring causing a slight creaking
sound that vibrates into the frame.Can this play be tightened any way?
Old 12-19-21, 07:14 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
Besides the noise is there a functional issue? If not, then I suggest just flushing and lubing the freewheel. The creaking is likely from rough bearing surfaces (be they rust or pitting) and/or a lack of lube. Freewheels really like a slight freeplay, call it negative preload. As long as it's not enough to cause auto shifting the freeplay, onto itself, is not usually an issue. However a slightly tight/too great a preload, can cause all kinds of coasting problems. Andy
Old 12-19-21, 07:25 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Besides the noise is there a functional issue? If not, then I suggest just flushing and lubing the freewheel. The creaking is likely from rough bearing surfaces (be they rust or pitting) and/or a lack of lube. Freewheels really like a slight freeplay, call it negative preload. As long as it's not enough to cause auto shifting the freeplay, onto itself, is not usually an issue. However a slightly tight/too great a preload, can cause all kinds of coasting problems. Andy
It's not a functional issue ,I just don't like any noise at all lol. If I put an old Shimano freewheel on the noise goes away.
The is no play at all on the shimano freewheel
Old 12-19-21, 07:46 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,355 Times in 2,034 Posts
They were often adjusted with thin washers between the freewheel hub and body. Not a job for the faint of heart.

​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...o-heavy-3.html
Old 12-19-21, 09:12 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
SunTour "Perfect" and "Pro-Compe" freewheels used shims to adjust the bearing pre-load. The "Winner" freewheels used a cup-and-cone arrangement with a special wrench to set the pre-load:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
suntour-nwn.jpg (35.0 KB, 81 views)
Old 12-19-21, 09:28 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
SunTour "Perfect" and "Pro-Compe" freewheels used shims to adjust the bearing pre-load. The "Winner" freewheels used a cup-and-cone arrangement with a special wrench to set the pre-load:
^ Spot on! It's usually the red Park pin spanner that tightens the freewheel "cone." And it's almost always counter-clockwise threads. Yes, you may be able to adjust preload by changing the number of paper thin washers. However, I expect today's freewheels to lack these. If you do remove the cone, you MUST hold the body with the cogs on it down! If you lift it at all, you'll have about 60 tiny bearings come out of the other side and drop all over the floor! Yes, freewheel overhaul is not for the faint of heart. But if you have the proper tools and work area, you can do it.

PS I have (or had) that tool. Brings back some good old memories!
Old 12-20-21, 02:26 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I never run vintage freewheels like that with non-ramped teeth anymore. With ramped teeth the shifting is 100x better, especially with friction shifters. Much less fumbling around with the shifter to get it in the perfect position. I use Sunrace freewheels and despite the fact that you can buy them for $10-15 they are very good quality. Shimano also makes them but I think theirs are ugly with a black big cog and huge logo.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18522038986...0aAp8lEALw_wcB
Old 12-20-21, 08:59 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
Remove the cogs, don’t open it up, soak in solvent and let dry. You might use compressed air.

After dry, drip in Phil’s Tenacious Oil until it quiets down.

It may, or may not, solve your problem completely, but it is the route I would go.

John
Old 12-20-21, 09:14 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Remove the cogs, don’t open it up, soak in solvent and let dry. You might use compressed air.

After dry, drip in Phil’s Tenacious Oil until it quiets down.

It may, or may not, solve your problem completely, but it is the route I would go.

John
With the exception of the cogs removed from the core this is what I mentioned. Andy