Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

"Ideal" cycling temp

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

"Ideal" cycling temp

Old 04-15-22, 07:34 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by rodymanners
I think it depends on how every individual can handle heat or cold
that’s some deep thoughts there Socrates….
Old 04-15-22, 07:42 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
It's 28C here now and I really enjoyed my ride this morning.

Anything less than 15C and I'm in serious Winter kit! I can handle heat better than cold when out cycling.

Old 04-15-22, 08:14 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts
Anywhere from about 35F/0C to 85F/30C. I'm more concerned about fog and rain, can't stand riding in either one.
Old 04-15-22, 08:38 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,072 Posts
I would not be surprised if comfort and performance peak at different temperatures. A non competitive cyclist might be inclined to ride harder when comfortable, but that's not the same as saying performance is maximized when comfortable. I tend to believe peak performance occurs at a lower temperature than peak comfort for most of us. I think the energy cost of heat rejection and the negative impact of to much heat are both high, and occur below most peoples' comfort level.

The article mentioned clothing changes, which to me is an uncontrolled variable in the experiment. I don't think their data is valid.
Old 04-15-22, 09:09 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
It's 28C here now and I really enjoyed my ride this morning.

Anything less than 15C and I'm in serious Winter kit! I can handle heat better than cold when out cycling.
I ride mostly in Nashbar sandals with eggbeater pedals: I am barefoot in them down to about 10*C, I wear socks in them until I can't stand it, break down and either wear covers or switch to shoes.

Once there's enough snow to ride off road I reluctantly switch to flat pedals and boots. At this point I, also begrudgingly, wear long pants which I hate even more than socks, heat and riding into the wind going up hill.

28* makes me cringe, likely as much as the thought of riding - intentionally! - during a snow storm does you
Old 04-15-22, 09:18 AM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearhawker
I ride mostly in Nashbar sandals with eggbeater pedals: I am barefoot in them down to about 10*C, I wear socks in them until I can't stand it, break down and either wear covers or switch to shoes.

Once there's enough snow to ride off road I reluctantly switch to flat pedals and boots. At this point I, also begrudgingly, wear long pants which I hate even more than socks, heat and riding into the wind going up hill.

28* makes me cringe, likely as much as the thought of riding - intentionally! - during a snow storm does you
True, I couldn't handle that nowadays.

Funny how we acclimatise to a place though. I grew up in South Africa where the climate is typically warm. When I moved to the UK, in my first 2 weeks I wanted to return to SA; it was 5-10C or thereabouts. Years later, I was out and about in sub-zero temps for a short time without screaming 'it's cold'.

Now, after a few years living in a warmer climate again, anything less than 10C is officially cold again for me.
Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 04-15-22, 04:45 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,819 Times in 2,978 Posts
If I'm riding hard, then I prefer it around 15C to prevent sweating like a pig. If I'm cruising, then around 20-25C is very pleasant. I don't like riding below 10C if I can help it. I'm not a big fan of it being over 30C either.
Old 04-15-22, 05:56 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Warmer and more humid reduces aerodynamic drag and tire rolling resistance but destroys power output. If I am going to do a 10 mile time trial, I want it 85-90 F as, humid as possible, and low atmospheric pressure like right after a T-storm. By the end of the race, my power is still good but starting to fade. On long rides, I prefer colder temperatures, certainly below 70F. 60-70F is a nice range.
This seems contrary to my thinking. Never thought about it before but I would have thought having more stuff in the air would be harder to push through. What is your thinking about this?

i guess this is why...

https://science.howstuffworks.com/na...an-dry-air.htm

Last edited by spelger; 04-15-22 at 05:57 PM. Reason: taught myself something.
Old 04-15-22, 06:02 PM
Doubleplay

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It's amazing to me how people are still insisting warmer temps around 80F is better. It's proven time and time again for running it's ideal around 40F-45F dry and cycling around 50F-55F no wind in various studies. Temps above 65 is your enemy either running or cycling.
Old 04-15-22, 06:14 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval

"Used Ta Could Ah" but not any more.

Now days its gotta be above 45°F, day time, with dry roads and minimal traffic...

I have become such a weakling... Ha
Same here zandoval. 45 F or above for this old carcass.
Old 04-15-22, 06:46 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Doubleplay
It's amazing to me how people are still insisting warmer temps around 80F is better. It's proven time and time again for running it's ideal around 40F-45F dry and cycling around 50F-55F no wind in various studies. Temps above 65 is your enemy either running or cycling.
funny, always thought this to be a personal opinion. I definitely like it warmer than 65.
Old 04-15-22, 07:08 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by Doubleplay
I'd agree on the idea that it's time based; whoever above said that higher temps might be more ideal in an event/ride less than an hour; different than the temp you'd prefer doing a mountain stage of the TdF.
Old 04-15-22, 07:30 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
For me, it's true that I've not experienced an upper temp. limit (for just a ride, not talking about performance here), and I agree that when it's warmer you just sweat more and experience more cooling thereby, even when it's humid. However, though my body is not unbearably uncomfortable, I have had trouble with (a) my feet, closer to the even hotter pavement, can get painful; and (b) my head, with the sun beating down, the part of my head under the helmet, can feel like it's being hammered by the sun.
When I was a kid, I lived in Ludlow, California, one of the hottest places in America. It was a hellhole, and not just because of the heat. The deserts are not unpleasant for riding, the most unpleasant hot weather ride I endured was a 200km tour of the Florida Everglades in August. I had never sweated so much in my life, I had salt crystals forming on my legs and in my hair. There were no trees, no buildings, no place to escape the sun. After hours and hours of plodding along in the sun, a huge thunderstorm came out of nowhere, and suddenly I was drenched and freezing. I don't recommend touring the Everglades in August.
Old 04-17-22, 08:29 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 433 Posts
My preferred cycling temp has definitely changed with age. Used to mtn bike with snow on the ground and was fine down to about 25F. Now I mostly road ride and prefer low humidity with 65-75 F temps. I do ride cooler and warmer temps, but those are the preferred.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 04-17-22, 08:34 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,581 Times in 2,897 Posts
This should have been a poll.

Old 04-18-22, 02:33 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
https://pezcyclingnews.com/toolbox/i...-for-exercise/

Really? Neither 10°C (50°F) nor -4°C (25°F) sound right to me.
My experience is that I am "faster" when it is quite warm. I've not done any controlled tests, but I feel fastest somewhere in the range 78°F (25.5°C) to 84°F (29°C).

Although the article is in Pez, I don't think the study really applies to cycling. I think the following factors (in order of effect from low to high) make the "ideal" temperature for cycling quite different (higher).
1. Cold air is denser, at cycling speeds there is a perceptible difference between air resistance of cold and warm air, though the difference is small.
2. Increased air resistance due to extra clothing being worn, means that cycling at 25°F, or even 50°F, is less "ideal". Also there is a small amount of effort that goes into deforming tights or knee/leg warmers when those are worn. This is not noticeable for light tights/knee/leg warmers, but for thicker wind-front tights you can feel the resistance to your pedaling motion.
3. Better muscle contraction at warmer temperatures means you can apply more force to the pedals in warmer conditions (up to a point, of course).
4. Increased efficiency of evaporative cooling due to the increased airflow over one's body at cycling speeds means that cycling in colder temps cools your muscles too much. It is more "ideal" to cycle at warmer temps when evaporative cooling balances the heat generated by cycling so that muscles are warm-but-not-too-warm.

Eventually the deleterious effects of higher temperatures negate the positive effects of cycling at warmer temperatures, of course, but IMO the "ideal" cycling temperature is a lot higher than is suggested in the article.
I am not surprised that on a treadmill, low temperatures are better than the 20 that was the highest they went for.

Personally, maybe something nice like 25 without too much wind but a little for cooling is nice for cycling.
Old 04-30-22, 01:31 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 533 Posts
67.75 F
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 04-30-22, 02:54 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Ideal cycling temperature does not exist. There is no such thing as an ideal cycling temperature....Just go ride your damn bike and enjoy your ride, regardless of the weather.
Old 04-30-22, 05:26 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I think the tweener temps can be irritating. Those times when it needs to be a little hotter or colder. Or the sun needs to come out. Or not. You take off a layer, you get cold. Put it back on, you get hot. You can't seem to get to that 3rd bowl of porridge.

Last edited by seypat; 04-30-22 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-30-22, 07:01 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
68-72F and I'd prefer light winds.
Old 04-30-22, 07:29 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
60 degrees F has a lot to recommend it. Warm enough not to need extra layers but cool enough to dissipate a lot of heat. That’s what it was today and it was a great day for working hard into the headwinds.

Otto
Old 05-01-22, 01:29 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
When it is colder I wear long bike pants and take it slow the first 10-15 minutes to allow my muscles to warm up. Riding a bike I always have a 15 degree wind chill and that is not great when it is below 50F degrees. Above 90 degrees cycling is much more impacted as the asphalt absorbs the sun's rays and by midday it is throwing that heat back up at the rider.

When in a car it is easy to see the heated air rising above the surface and distorting the view ahead but on a bike one getting a heat wave effect that can quickly heat the core temperature of a rider. I can run cross country in the desert when it is 110 degrees outside with no issues but riding on pavement in the same conditions and I would quickly suffer heat stroke (been there and done that).

Humidity is another factor as it affects how effectively the body can use perspiration from sweat glands to dissipate heat. In California riding around with tempertures in the 90's has never been a problem but I lived for two long years in Dallas and the humidity would be at 80% by 8 AM and on rides I would have to slow down as I could tell my core temperature was getting too high. At one Olympic marathon trial in Dallas a local runner died during the race from heat stroke. He pushed through to get a spot on the U.S. team but ended up dead as a result.
Old 05-01-22, 05:48 PM
Ttom

Bikes: Kona Sutra SE

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 34 Posts
I live in Mississippi for me 75 to 80 degrees is fan damn tastick.
Old 05-01-22, 11:15 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
At one Olympic marathon trial in Dallas a local runner died during the race from heat stroke. He pushed through to get a spot on the U.S. team but ended up dead as a result.
What year did Dallas host the US Men's Olympic Marathon Trials?
Old 05-03-22, 12:17 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
56f

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.