Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Analysis of Alfine oils

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Analysis of Alfine oils

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-22, 06:05 AM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Analysis of Alfine oils

Lubricating oil for the 11-speed and 8-speed are different. Did anyone analyse the two for additives? Are they mineral oil based or synthetic?
Old 08-08-22, 07:09 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by anga
Lubricating oil for the 11-speed and 8-speed are different. Did anyone analyse the two for additives? Are they mineral oil based or synthetic?
The 11-speed oils is synthetic. I've run my Alfine-11 with Royal Purple 75w-140 gear oil (THIS) for 10,600 miles. I use the same oil to dip the gear clusters of two Nexus 8-speed hubs.
The Shimano oil and the Royal Purple have similar viscosities.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 08-09-22, 09:36 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
any reason to not just use what is recommended by the manufacturer? Yes more expensive, but less expensive than goofing up a hub with the wrong stuff, and unless there is a fleet of IGH's the cost over time is minimal

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 08-10-22, 05:29 AM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Unavailable here. Shipping + significant duty makes it twice as expensive.
Old 08-10-22, 07:00 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Do you have a good friend with access to a good analysis lab who'll check the two oils for you for a pizza and beer?

If not, the cost of analyzing the two oils is probably a large multiple of the cost of the right oil, shipping, and duty combined.
Old 08-11-22, 05:06 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Do you have a good friend with access to a good analysis lab who'll check the two oils for you for a pizza and beer?
I actually did this several years ago. A friend at the Structural Biology Lab at UIC made magnetic resonance scans on samples of the Shimano oil and the Royal Purple. The scans were similar, but had some different peaks in different places. The problem was that we didn't know what the peaks meant. Magnetic resonance is probably not the right technique for this project, but it was what I had access to.
In the end, they were both gear oils with similar viscosities, and one was about 20% of the cost of the other, and the substitution has apparently worked well.
Likes For sweeks: