Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Media Blasting

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Media Blasting

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-22, 09:38 AM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
Media Blasting

I recently found out that the local guy that would do media blasting is no longer in business. The lbs I use told me there isn't anyone that will work on bike frames near here.

Is there a shop that is known to allow frames to be shipped in to be stripped?

Thanks
Old 08-09-22, 09:59 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Shipping and risk really upends the economics.
if there is a powdercoater about possibly negotiate with them?
Old 08-09-22, 01:27 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by m.c.
I recently found out that the local guy that would do media blasting is no longer in business. The lbs I use told me there isn't anyone that will work on bike frames near here.

Is there a shop that is known to allow frames to be shipped in to be stripped?

Thanks
Hi, It would be helpful to know where you are located.....I have had luck with auto restoration shops will know where to media blast parts, so you might try asking them. I only use walnut shells or Soda for fine work, corse material can/will damage a frame if the person doing the work is not familiar with tubing.
Good Luck, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 08-09-22, 01:30 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 2,513 Times in 1,051 Posts
Aww, and here I thought this thread would be about casting aspersions on news outlets we don't like . . . .
Old 08-09-22, 05:11 PM
m.c. 

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Hi, It would be helpful to know where you are located.....I have had luck with auto restoration shops will know where to media blast parts, so you might try asking them. I only use walnut shells or Soda for fine work, corse material can/will damage a frame if the person doing the work is not familiar with tubing.
Good Luck, Ben
Thanks. I'm in Louisiana. There was someone in Baton Rouge but I've heard he closed as well, and Id rather ship than go into the big cities. I'll check with some auto places.
Old 08-09-22, 05:23 PM
Sactown_Albert 

Bikes: 2017 Sage Skyline, 2015 Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 2006 Kona Jake, 1986 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1977 Peugeot UO18c, 1977 Peugeot PRN10, 1974 Allegro Schweitzermeister Model 76, 1972 Hugo Rickert Spezial

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 585 Times in 188 Posts
Many powder coat businesses do it

My local powder coat business in Sacramento (American Stripping) will media strip a frame and fork for about $70. Many of these businesses are happy to give you a quote on media stripping only.
Old 08-09-22, 10:53 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
I started a thread about powder coaters. Pretty much all of them media blast to prep the frame.

There's one noted in Louisiana.

edit: looks like the link doesn't work anymore. Try Groody Brothers.
Old 08-10-22, 02:38 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
Some coating shops do media blasting as well. Anodizing sometimes calls for a media blast prior to anodize.
Old 08-10-22, 04:45 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
I have had Groody Bros. strip and pc some of my stuff. They do fantastic work.
Old 08-10-22, 04:45 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,388 Times in 758 Posts
Maybe a framebuilder or frame painter? I know Doug Fattic has a nice sandblasting setup, though I suspect it's only for his use.
Old 08-10-22, 08:00 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Some general information that may or may not be helpful. There are 2 kinds of sandblasters, a suction type and a pressure pot kind. The pressure pot type puts out more media at a lower pressure. They can potentially do less damage but are a much more expensive unit. I'm fortunate to have one.

Most frame painters start by chemically stripping the paint with a paint remover before blasting. Unfortunately the government banned the active ingredient methylene chloride in paint strippers in 2017. Now it is a lot harder to get paint off. The stuff will hurt your skin so I use thick gloves. In decent weather, I hold the frame in a portable Park repair stand outside and lather it on with a paint brush. It takes several applications and I look for places that require more. When all the paint has bubbled up, I use my power washer get if off the frame.

However paint remover with methylene chloride can still be supplied to commercial businesses. In Niles, Michigan where I live there is a business that strips furniture finishes. They have a huge vat of goo they dunk the whole piece of furniture into and wait a day until all the finish is gone. I use them sometimes in the winter when I don't want to do that job myself. You might look for a furniture stripper in your area.

I buy my sandblasting supplies at a company that sells sandblasting equipment in nearby South Bend Indiana. They have several sandblasters set up for customers to try. They have invited any of my framebuilding class students to bring a frame to try out their equipment. You might try to see if there is such a company in Louisiana. Where I bought my sandblaster in Indianapolis they also do commercial blasting for walk in customers. These sales places might know where the sandblasters they sold might be in your area.

In Granger, IN (part of South Bend) is a bike store (Spin Zone) that does frame
powder coating. That might be a little far from Louisiana but for anyone in my area reading this subject thread that knowledge might be helpful. I have no idea if they do long distant work and if they do stripping without powder coating.

I'm not set up to do stripping only unless someone can drive to my shop.
Old 08-10-22, 09:45 AM
m.c. 

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
Some general information that may or may not be helpful. There are 2 kinds of sandblasters, a suction type and a pressure pot kind. The pressure pot type puts out more media at a lower pressure. They can potentially do less damage but are a much more expensive unit. I'm fortunate to have one.

Most frame painters start by chemically stripping the paint with a paint remover before blasting. Unfortunately the government banned the active ingredient methylene chloride in paint strippers in 2017. Now it is a lot harder to get paint off. The stuff will hurt your skin so I use thick gloves. In decent weather, I hold the frame in a portable Park repair stand outside and lather it on with a paint brush. It takes several applications and I look for places that require more. When all the paint has bubbled up, I use my power washer get if off the frame.

However paint remover with methylene chloride can still be supplied to commercial businesses. In Niles, Michigan where I live there is a business that strips furniture finishes. They have a huge vat of goo they dunk the whole piece of furniture into and wait a day until all the finish is gone. I use them sometimes in the winter when I don't want to do that job myself. You might look for a furniture stripper in your area.

I buy my sandblasting supplies at a company that sells sandblasting equipment in nearby South Bend Indiana. They have several sandblasters set up for customers to try. They have invited any of my framebuilding class students to bring a frame to try out their equipment. You might try to see if there is such a company in Louisiana. Where I bought my sandblaster in Indianapolis they also do commercial blasting for walk in customers. These sales places might know where the sandblasters they sold might be in your area.

powder coating. That might be a little far from Louisiana but for anyone in my area reading this subject thread that knowledge might be helpful. I have no idea if they do long distant work and if they do stripping without powder coating.

Thanks for the information. It sounds more involved than just buying a cabinet and sprayer like I had imagined.

I may have found a place not too far away. I'm surprised no one seems to know about him where I live but they seem to be a good size operation that does both small items and commercial projects both blasting and powder coating.

Do you know if powdercoat can be painted and clear coated?

If they will take on my frame stripping I thought I could have them powder coat it too. Then I could paint the details I want and add decals and then clear coat over all of it.
I want the frame the area between the head lugs painted a lighter color, maybe a band on the seatpost, and decals added. Then clear coat.
Old 08-10-22, 09:46 AM
m.c. 

Thanks for the suggestions I will check with them too.
Old 08-10-22, 11:21 AM
smontanaro 

There are 2 kinds of sandblasters, a suction type and a pressure pot kind. The pressure pot type puts out more media at a lower pressure. They can potentially do less damage but are a much more expensive unit. I'm fortunate to have one.
Just to add a visual, this is Doug's unit (everything green against the wall). The compressor is way at the other end of the shop.

Old 08-10-22, 11:50 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts

No methylene chloride in California! Cannot even get denatured alcohol now.
Old 08-10-22, 03:55 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Originally Posted by m.c.
Thanks for the information. It sounds more involved than just buying a cabinet and sprayer like I had imagined.

Do you know if powdercoat can be painted and clear coated?

If they will take on my frame stripping I thought I could have them powder coat it too. Then I could paint the details I want and add decals and then clear coat over all of it.
I want the frame the area between the head lugs painted a lighter color, maybe a band on the seatpost, and decals added. Then clear coat.
Yes you can put color paint and clear over powdercoat. I used to do this for John Cherry MTB frames. This was a long time ago when powder coating didn't look so great. The surface wan't very glossy and had orange peel. By wet sanding the surface smooth, I could then apply his decals and lay down a nice glossy smooth polyurethane clear coat (Dupont Imron).

It is possible to make a DIY suction type of sandblaster unit. The bottom of the cabinet needs to be tapered like a funnel so the media all collects in the center. Of course you have to have some kind of heavy mesh platform above the funnel where the frame can rest when blasting. You will also need some kind of exhaust to get rid of dust. If you ever get that far I can explain how that can be done. It isn't that difficult once you understand the concept. Sandblasters use a lot of air so a 3 hp is the minimum but 5 is better of course.
Old 08-10-22, 04:15 PM
smontanaro 

If you're going to go the DIY route, you can find cabinets online for not much moola. Make sure they are large enough for the pieces you want to work on. Media type is important as well, I think. Bike frames aren't heavy duty. I think it's pretty easy to overheat the metal, causing warping. That said, this is an area I have no direct experience with. Probably worth consulting some experts.
Old 08-10-22, 05:12 PM
m.c. 

I think having it stripped and powdercoated then me adding the details myself may be the best way to go. Thanks for all the info.