Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Still riding.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Still riding.

Old 08-31-21, 01:08 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
70 yo Navy Nam vet, no in-country & no real PTSD.
Unlike my 55yo Army Ranger turned BlackwaterCIAguy b-i-l.

I feel -
like I owe it
to someone.

Or - I owe it to everyone who died undeservedly in a war or conflict.

whatever one needs to do…wear it with pride…you may find friends along your journey. Otherwise, it’s a lonely (or anonymous) slog.

Im actually just 30 plus shipping and handling.
Old 08-31-21, 07:15 PM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Frank: I think your post resonated right away with some and for others it will always be a mystery. I lost an arm at 17. In an almost linear fashion, it led me to coaching adaptive athletics in the late 70s and scores of disabled Vietnam vets who were picking up the pieces. They are all gone now, as are almost all the kids with bone cancer.

I ride hard for them and often think they are watching me and smiling, expecting no less.
Likes For tigat:
Old 09-01-21, 08:13 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by tigat
Frank: I think your post resonated right away with some and for others it will always be a mystery. I lost an arm at 17. In an almost linear fashion, it led me to coaching adaptive athletics in the late 70s and scores of disabled Vietnam vets who were picking up the pieces. They are all gone now, as are almost all the kids with bone cancer.

I ride hard for them and often think they are watching me and smiling, expecting no less.
Thank you for this post and thanks for your work with all of the disabled athletes. Mostly, I thank you for your work with the Vietnam Vets.
Frank.
Old 09-02-21, 11:24 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
I've raised tens of thousands for cancer treatment and research riding hard in the PMC. Could be the reference; charity rides.
I've done a lot of charity rides too, and they're generally fun and rewarding; but I think they market them all wrong. They put on a ride for me to do and in exchange I ask a bunch of friends and family to donate money. The narrative though is just silly... "every mile I ride brings us closer to a cure for XYZ." They do bring out a lot of people who don't usually ride very much... people with some connection to the good cause, and it makes ME feel good to see them, and know that I'm helping in some way.

Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 09-02-21, 05:34 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts
^ What a fantastic picture of cyclists making someone else’s day. That is really awesome