Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Specialized Creo SL E5 (aluminum)

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 06-14-22, 10:55 AM
55tele

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Creo E-Bike XXL with Custom Wheels, 1992 Serotta Colorado II with Dura Ace STI, 2021 Zinn Ti Clydesdale Team XXL with Ultegra Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts

Any heavy Clydes have experience with this bike? Im 285#....If I buy one, 24 spokes have me thinking about a 36 spoke wheel set....it is a "road boost" setup....12mm / 148 in the rear and 12mm / 110 on the front......

Any heavy guys riding this bike?

Last edited by 55tele; 06-14-22 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-14-22, 09:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 2,578 Posts
You will probably want a better wheel set, White Industries is a good way to go as they will make Road Boost stuff (I checked a couple years ago) The stock wheels won't hold up for us. However I might have you look at some other bikes. Not so much for wheelsize or anything like that but more motor power. You may want to try something with a Bosch motor, I think it might hold up a bit better for a larger rider using the bike often. As a larger rider myself but a touch lighter than you I am currently riding a Bosch bike and haven't had issues. I might also see if you can find one of the new Fazua bikes I am curious to try one as I have ridden the SL line up and it is nice but the numbers for Fazua do look a little better and having that extra torque to get up the hills is nice and especially as a larger rider we are asking a bit more of that system generally.
Old 06-14-22, 10:27 PM
55tele

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Creo E-Bike XXL with Custom Wheels, 1992 Serotta Colorado II with Dura Ace STI, 2021 Zinn Ti Clydesdale Team XXL with Ultegra Di2

Thanks for the reply...
Yes, White Hubs are great, but pricy...I'm looking at DT350 hybrid series that I can get 36 hole 12/148 rear and 15/110 front and they make a kit to convert the front to 12mm.
I did ride a Creo, but just around a parking lot.....so I don't disagree with the your comments about power.
I have a Zinn Clydesdale and they have an Ebike model with the Bosch motor........so I'm exploring that as well....

Thanks
Old 06-15-22, 03:32 PM
55tele

Creo Wheelset

This directed to Veganbikes if he would be so kind to answer.....

I did purchase a Creo this morning after a good test ride......

....the original hubs are centerline disk mount....but new one ones being built are 6 bolt (DT 350s) ....only DT 350s in 36 hole boost spacing....

I found out the rear hub needs a magnet / magnet mount......Since the new hubs are not centerline, I needed a solution....

I found a specialized magnet / holder part (MY19) that looks like a little kidney shape with 2 (a little longer) replacement bolts to put in the 6 bolt mount...

Any issues with this.....?

Specialized tech service was incredibly not helpful.....suggested I ask my LBS......My LBS say this is AOK....just wanted a little extra confirmation....
Old 06-15-22, 04:17 PM
55tele

Creo Wheelset

Never mind…..I got to the right person at Specialized and the MY19 magnet for the Levo will work fine
Old 06-21-22, 12:58 PM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't ride that, but I ride a roubaix roadbike with 24 spoke count. I'm at 250 and have had no issues. I'got a few k miles on it with no broken spokes and wheels are still true. I don't jump it or pop up curbs or anything though, just relatively smooth pavement.
Old 06-22-22, 09:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by 55tele
Never mind…..I got to the right person at Specialized and the MY19 magnet for the Levo will work fine
Oh yeah you would be fine or go for the Magura MDR-P rotors which do have built in magnet mounts and easy peasy.

Centerlock or 6 bolt are just fine, I think most of my rotors are 6-bolt (or 4 bolt for Rohloff) because I don't mind a little T25 action but either or will work great. It is more the actual rotor that is the biggest point of importance how it mounts doesn't matter so much.

Sorry I didn't respond earlier apparently something happened to me here and I have no idea what happened and why but no biggie always good to take a break once and while : )
Old 06-23-22, 07:01 AM
55tele

Yes, thanks for the reply...

Both the DT350 148 x 12 / 36h rear hub and 110 x 15 / 36h front hub were only available in 6 bolt disk mount, so I had no choice.....would have been nice to get it in centerline mount so I could have used the disks off the original wheels (and the centerline magnet holder) , but no joy....

Interesting that there are disks that have built in magnet holders. I wound up with Shimano RT66s, which I thought were a good quality / price point....

Actually, my LBS likes the 6 bolt mounts as there is some ability to shim / adjustability if you are riding more than one wheel set and don't want to adjust calipers all the time......Not sure I will even try to ride the original 24 spoke wheels....I might try to get a credit back or sell them...

I was able to get all the parts, including the 15mm to 12mm end plugs of the front wheel, so I'll be delivering them to the LBS today or tomorrow.

I'm going with Velocity Ailerons with DT Competition butted spokes and the DT Pro Lok nipples (have two sets of those wheels already for my
Zinn Clydesdale)

Last edited by 55tele; 06-23-22 at 10:01 PM.
Likes For 55tele:
Old 06-30-22, 05:07 AM
palincss

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
You will probably want a better wheel set, White Industries is a good way to go as they will make Road Boost stuff (I checked a couple years ago) The stock wheels won't hold up for us. However I might have you look at some other bikes. Not so much for wheelsize or anything like that but more motor power. You may want to try something with a Bosch motor, I think it might hold up a bit better for a larger rider using the bike often. As a larger rider myself but a touch lighter than you I am currently riding a Bosch bike and haven't had issues. I might also see if you can find one of the new Fazua bikes I am curious to try one as I have ridden the SL line up and it is nice but the numbers for Fazua do look a little better and having that extra torque to get up the hills is nice and especially as a larger rider we are asking a bit more of that system generally.
If you think the Class 3 Specialized Creo isn't powerful enough, you surely won't be happy with a Fazua. The Creo has a lot more power and a lot more range than a Fazua. Fazua is, after all, one of the two main proponents, along with Mahle, of the "light weight, just enough power" approach to e-bikes, where the goal is to be as light as possible and provide minimal assistance that feels natural like riding a purely mechanical bike.
Old 06-30-22, 01:45 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I road a lot with a friend who weighed over 250 lbs and was constantly breaking spokes. I suggested he have the wheels rebuilt with better spokes and with 3-cross lacing. After he did that his spoke breaking stopped completely. Reduced spoke numbers and lacing is done for marketing purposes - a bit like putting a racing spoiler on a Fiat 500. Wheels made for use on tandem bikes should handle your weight and they may be an off the shelf item.
Old 06-30-22, 08:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by palincss
If you think the Class 3 Specialized Creo isn't powerful enough, you surely won't be happy with a Fazua. The Creo has a lot more power and a lot more range than a Fazua. Fazua is, after all, one of the two main proponents, along with Mahle, of the "light weight, just enough power" approach to e-bikes, where the goal is to be as light as possible and provide minimal assistance that feels natural like riding a purely mechanical bike.
We are talking the new Fazua Ride 60 which is 60nm of torque vs Specialized which is 35nm of torque and the new battery on the Fazua is 430wh vs 320wh on the Specialized.

I like the SL line up and their Mahle motors are awesome but I think the new Fazua system seems like the winner in terms of numbers. Of course yes numbers aren't always everything. We shall see what happens in real time.

I think the Creo has good power and feels great for what it is my thoughts in this thread were based on weight considerations more than anything else.I would happily own an SL system but numbers wise I would rather have the new Ride 60 bigger battery and more torque for similar weight!