Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

How many grams of protein do I need to eat on protein only diet?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 07-12-22, 10:07 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts

Well almost only protein only. I can handle some veggies three times a week.
But carbs make me sick and they have all my life. But it started at a low level and has just been getting worse over the years and now at 59 it seems to have peaked and has not gotten worse. What carbs do to me are so many things but weight gain is one of the big ones. I have tested this many times before I really cut out carbs I would go to the movies and eat a big tub of popcorn I would have weighed myself that morning. I would gain 2 pounds the next day and it took all week to get rid of it. This happened every single time till I had to stop eating all grains. Now if I ate a york peppermint patty every day I would gain weight no matter how many calories I cut. But thats the simple thing the worse thing is how they weaken my body and cause all kinds of health issues like upper respiratory infections muscle loss lifelong heartburn and more. They just slowly Destroy my body slowly but surly. All my medical tests have proven this out.
So ok but along with that once I Cut carbs then some reason my body started having all of the food intolerances. I am pretty sure this is a genetic issue that ran through the male side of my family. My brother has some of these problems but he wont stop eating cabs and his just keep getting worse.
So all I can eat on a daily basis is meat, eggs, cheese, unsweetened almond milk/ with a multivitamin I can handle basic veggies three times a week as long as I am careful what I put on them. Everything else I have to be careful with from a few times a week to once a week to never anymore.
Ok thats why I have to eat protein. I have also found what I thought in the last several years is that fat does not give me energy or very little energy. I went a year with no carbs at all when my esophagus got so bad I could not eat anything else. I bet I was at maybe 10 grams of carbs mostly from the unsweetened almond milk. But my body never went into ketosis when tested.
But I have tested it over the months by eating fatty foods as snacks or fatty meat for dinner and I always get more energy if I eat more protein and less fat even if it was more calories overall. But If I up how much lean meat I Eat or protein powder I have more energy.
So anyway it looks like all or most of my fuel comes from protein. It sucks rocks but it is what it is. I have a basic power meter on my bikes and I use a HRM and I tend to burn 400 to 500 calories a hour according to both. I ride two 8.5 mile commute rides and some times some errands then then I get home I hop on the tandem and do 10 to 15 miles dourng the week and 30 to 40 miles on Saturday and Sunday. So 200 to 240 miles a week.
But if I don't eat enough protein Saturday and Sunday I am so tried the next several days. When I went to a nutritionist about 5 years ago before I started riding I was eating about 2500 to 3000 calories a day. I was actually losing pound a week as I was so sick and my esophagus was so bad. But then I started riding I started upping my calories but it was usually fatty things. Now I try to eat as much lean as possible. Its hard as the few things that have much flavor like bacon does not have that much protein in it. Even 1/2 pound does not have much. I used to have 1/2 pound of cheese for lunch but I just cant eat that much anymore and I doubt it was helping. I used to have about 1/2 pound of meat for dinner but now its a pound. Usually just lean ground beef or pork.
Thats not always enough during the week I sometimes need some protein powder to make it through the night. (My esophagus hurts like hell when I am running low on food)
Saturdays I am usually good I usually have an extra meal. But Sundays are the problem I tend to burn 800 to 1000 calories on my ride but I just don't know how much protein I need to eat to cover it. We usually have some Chinese food and I used to eat three full dishes (meat and veggies no deep fried) but veggies fill me up so much now I can only eat maybe dish and a half. I usually eat the pound of meat for dinner but its not enough. I have to stop with the protein powder it is killing my esophagus so it needs to be more meat.
If you burn 1000 calories how much protein do I need to eat to replace it? I did not know about 20% of the calories from protein are lost to digesting and this maybe throwing me off.
Old 07-13-22, 02:37 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
It sounds like you have serious health issues...You need to talk to a medical professional.
Old 07-13-22, 04:59 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
I have also found what I thought in the last several years is that fat does not give me energy or very little energy.
I think you have the wrong expectations about fat. Fat does not give "energy boost" to anyone but can help the muscles avoid fatigue during an endurance activity as a source of "slow burn" fuel for the muscles. It won't make you feel "energized" but it can help you last longer when exercising at low intensity without eating.

You may burn fat if doing a "fasted exercise" for long periods at low intensity such as riding your bike for a few hours in the flats at a relatively easy pace.

Processed meat contains carbs. You sure you're getting energy purely from protein alone?

The muscles can indeed source fuel from protein or in "protein-burning-mode" but is usually seen as a bad thing. You should be burning carbs or fat but not protein.
Old 07-13-22, 07:30 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 246 Posts
You have health issues and need to seek professional help to sort it out. Severe food allergies can sometimes be mitigated by a carnivore diet so that could be your issue and why your symptoms lessen when just eating meat, but you need to know what's going on before going on such a radical diet.
Old 07-13-22, 07:56 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by koala logs
I think you have the wrong expectations about fat. Fat does not give "energy boost" to anyone but can help the muscles avoid fatigue during an endurance activity as a source of "slow burn" fuel for the muscles. It won't make you feel "energized" but it can help you last longer when exercising at low intensity without eating.

You may burn fat if doing a "fasted exercise" for long periods at low intensity such as riding your bike for a few hours in the flats at a relatively easy pace.

Processed meat contains carbs. You sure you're getting energy purely from protein alone?

The muscles can indeed source fuel from protein or in "protein-burning-mode" but is usually seen as a bad thing. You should be burning carbs or fat but not protein.
all my rides are at a mostly easy pace. I eat most of my meat unprocessed. but I do eat some just because I cant stand eating all plain meat. but I get more calories from plain foods. I not ave a choice about carbs they have made me sick for my whole life and they caused me such bad heartburn since I was a little child. only now and I free of heartburn. carbs are a thing of the past for the most part if I want to live. cant eat them. I had so many heath issues the nI was eating them once a week. now that I have cut way down on them my heath issues have gotten far netter.
I dont expect to have fast sources of energy it takes hours to get fuel from what I eat. but if I eat more fat I dont have more energy I only get more energy from more protein. There are a few sources of fat that give me some but fr th most part they dont give me energy. I measure every ride to see how much energy I have.
Old 07-13-22, 08:49 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by RH Clark
You have health issues and need to seek professional help to sort it out. Severe food allergies can sometimes be mitigated by a carnivore diet so that could be your issue and why your symptoms lessen when just eating meat, but you need to know what's going on before going on such a radical diet.
Been there done that. 10s of thousands of dollars later and so many tests even getting a doc to listen was a battle. I finally found a good GP that keeps track of my heath and gives me ideas. But there really is nothing I have found that can help. The food intolerances are so sensitive that I have not found anything I can eat on a regular basis besides meat eggs cheeses and the almond milk. I have tested so many meds but either my body reacts to it or my esophagus does. Carbs have caused so many problems but they are dangerous in a way it took me years to realize. They make me a bit loopy or less then aware. The last two times I had eaten a more normal amount of them I clipped a post on our tandem and had a bad crash and I lost the tip of my finger in the router table at work last time I had a tub of popcorn. Now that my carbs intake is so low I don't run into stuff all the time I can wear shorts at work and my legs are not all torn up. I can now sit and read for the first time in many years. Think if I drove a car I would have been history long ago.
Years ago I tried eating more fruit so I would have ore energy to ride but nope never helped. My goal is not to be tired it's a constant s a constant battle. Its impossible to really eat like my body seems to demand its so repetitive and flavorless.
I have to spend way to much to eat for food I don't enjoy. I can't travel because finding food I can eat is very hard. I cant go out to eat very much as there are few places I cant trust or even have food I can eat.
I would not eat this way if my body let me do anything else. But I measure all my rides to see how food effects me and it shows protein is my only real fuel. Fat maybe a bit bit not much. So now I am trying to figure out how much protein I need to eat to make up the calories I burn.
I have every blood test imaginable even stress tests on my heart and a bunch of invasive tests some so horrible and they all show nothing. wellI did have pre diabetes when I was eating carbs once a week 5 years ago but now I don't and my levels are normal cholesterol is not bad even when it's tested without fasting. All my vitamin levels have been tested too. I know part of it is gut bacteria. I had way to many antibiotics when younger and it messed up my bacteria. Think mostly it made complex carbs a real issue. All grains bother me so much and beans. I passed this on to my wife and she cant eat grains anymore. All our dogs over the years would have issues with grain after a few months. Family members share gut bacteria.
Old 07-13-22, 09:00 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Protein only diet isn't good for you unless MAYBE it is for a very short period of time to change a screwed up metabolism. See your Doc....
Old 07-13-22, 09:23 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Carbs have caused so many problems but they are dangerous in a way it took me years to realize. They make me a bit loopy or less then aware. The last two times I had eaten a more normal amount of them I clipped a post on our tandem and had a bad crash and I lost the tip of my finger in the router table at work last time I had a tub of popcorn. Now that my carbs intake is so low I don't run into stuff all the time I can wear shorts at work and my legs are not all torn up. I can now sit and read for the first time in many years. Think if I drove a car I would have been history long ago.

I know part of it is gut bacteria. I had way to many antibiotics when younger and it messed up my bacteria. Think mostly it made complex carbs a real issue. All grains bother me so much and beans. I passed this on to my wife and she cant eat grains anymore. All our dogs over the years would have issues with grain after a few months. Family members share gut bacteria.
Have you ever tried breathalyzing yourself after eating carbs? Reminds me of those cases of "auto-brewery syndrome" where the unfortunate person's stomach ferments carbs into alcohol.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 07-13-22, 10:48 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Have you ever tried breathalyzing yourself after eating carbs? Reminds me of those cases of "auto-brewery syndrome" where the unfortunate person's stomach ferments carbs into alcohol.
ya I remember that but that was a guy who brewed beer. I have never drank and have not had booze in 30 or more years. I think its carb intolerance but thats not something thats even treatable. stomach problems ran on the male side of my family but no one really talked about it. and on that side they only had girls so it seems disrupted. my brotherr has had some of the same issues and needs lots of meds for all his problems.
I found a woman on a food intolerance group and it was like looking into a mirror on our issues. it ran on the female side of her family. She has the same issue with carbs lots of weight gain had the same upper respiratory infections and other problems.
I wish someone had a solution but since my body rejects anything new eaten on a regular basis I just don't see how its possible. as my esophagus felt better I was able to have a little bit of pepper sauce like Tabasco but I had ones not so sour but after just have maybe 10 or so drops a day over a few weeks I started slowing down again. It only takes a tiny amount of something to effect me it may take awhile but it always happens.
this may eventually kill me if I need meds and cant tolerate them or if I end up in the hospital eating would be an issue. When my esophagus got so bad (imagine your worst heartburn 24/7 for a year) was a wakeup call that I had to control what I eat no matter how much I hated it. I have to keep as healthy as my body will let me and i need to ride as much as I can to keep my energy levels up. the watt meter has been critical in telling me how much energy I can put out because I can always tell by feel. some rides it fees like I am working hard but i am not putting out a lot of watts other days I don't feel like I am putting out a lot of watts because it feels like I am not working but I actually am. Thats how I know how much energy I get from foods. but its delayed since protein is really slow in giving energy.
overall I am healthier with more energy then I have been in 40 years. its not perfect but its all I got. but I am tried of playing guess how much I need to eat.
Old 07-13-22, 11:26 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 407 Posts
A gram of protein contains 4 calories. Typical males need 1500 calories per day minimum. That implies 375 grams (13.2 oz) per day. Straight math. Cycling burns 400-600 calories per hour for most people, so you'll have to add a minimum 100 grams per day per hour of cycling.
Old 07-13-22, 11:51 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
A gram of protein contains 4 calories. Typical males need 1500 calories per day minimum. That implies 375 grams (13.2 oz) per day. Straight math. Cycling burns 400-600 calories per hour for most people, so you'll have to add a minimum 100 grams per day per hour of cycling.
ya thats what I was thinking. it seems 20 to 25% of protein calories are lost just digesting it but it would be impossible to eat 300 to 400 grams of protein here is the typical hamburger I eat
Beef, ground, 80% lean meat / 20% fat, raw, 1 lb Protein (g) 77.88 Total lipid (fat) (g) 90.72 Carbohydrate, by difference (g) 0 Energy (kcal) 1152.14 Sugars, total (g) 0
I am going to eat a extra pound after the long rides but thats a lot no matter what. so if I use some of the fat then a pound extra should cover it. when cooked a pound of hamburger is only 2 cups/
Old 07-13-22, 12:02 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Are you at your ideal weight? I'd just let that be your guide. Add more Calories to gain weight, less Calories to lose weight.
Old 07-13-22, 12:10 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
ya I remember that but that was a guy who brewed beer. I have never drank and have not had booze in 30 or more years. I think its carb intolerance but thats not something thats even treatable. stomach problems ran on the male side of my family but no one really talked about it. and on that side they only had girls so it seems disrupted. my brotherr has had some of the same issues and needs lots of meds for all his problems.
My understanding (which isn't much) is that you don't have to drink or brew alcohol to get it. (Apparently there have been cases of children with it. ) So if you set off a breathalyzer but haven't consumed any alcohol, that would be a pretty clear sign that's what you've got...

Whatever it is, hope you're able to sort it out someday. I tried Atkins years ago, and even though I love meat, it got old after a while.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-13-22, 12:29 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Don't get complicated. In the long run it breaks down to Calories and Protein. Figure out how many calories you need for your day and how much protein you for the day. Formulas and calculators abound. Do all that are available then take an average. That will give ya a reasonable ball park figure to work with. Eat what ever you want but stay with in your calculated range.

For me, and old 68 year old fat guy at 250/114 Lb/Kg I look for at least 90 grams of protein and try to stay under 1800 calories. Granted it's a chore not easily accomplished but that's why I'm a fat guy. Just trying to say that the more simple you make it, the more successful you will be.

Ok... Now where does an Apple Fritter fit into this dialog?
Old 07-13-22, 12:40 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
My understanding (which isn't much) is that you don't have to drink or brew alcohol to get it. (Apparently there have been cases of children with it. ) So if you set off a breathalyzer but haven't consumed any alcohol, that would be a pretty clear sign that's what you've got...

Whatever it is, hope you're able to sort it out someday. I tried Atkins years ago, and even though I love meat, it got old after a while.
I had a big round of antibiotics about 9 months ago when I tried to remove my finger starting with intravenous ones so that would have toasted I bet. before I had a ton of antibiotics for the upper respiratory infections and H pylori treated twice plus three looks down into my throat and stomach over the last 5 years. but anymore there would be nothing for it to live on.. a year without carbs would have killed it.
I hate this its been most of my life now and i ts ruined eating for me I don't enjoy it and any food I enjoy is usually problematic. its a huge strain on out budget and its like paying to go to the dentist. I cant skip meals or I run out of energy fast and my esophagus screams at me. what little I can eat out is always the same. mostly the same Chinese beef and broccoli or mixed veggies or such as that maybe 5 different dishes. or like lettuce wrapped burgers and of course no fries or anything. on longer rides I need to be pretty full before we leave and I can usually be fine but sometimes I start running out of steam and have to get a energy drink or a protein shake or a couple of those hot dogs at 7-11 and a caffeine pill. I don't like to eat while I am riding if I can help it. I have worked it out pretty well over the years but this is not something thats going to go away. its been going on all my life when I look back. all I can hope for is my body heals some as long as I stay away from most carbs. when this first happened I was able to eat non carby veggies as much as I wanted every day. but after a few years I thought hey I can eat carbs again and after several months things got so much worse and I had to eliminate so many foods. Now I can handle veggies three times a week and feel lucky to do it. for a solid year I could not even touch one.
Old 07-13-22, 12:50 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by zandoval
Don't get complicated. In the long run it breaks down to Calories and Protein. Figure out how many calories you need for your day and how much protein you for the day. Formulas and calculators abound. Do all that are available then take an average. That will give ya a reasonable ball park figure to work with. Eat what ever you want but stay with in your calculated range.

For me, and old 68 year old fat guy at 250/114 Lb/Kg I look for at least 90 grams of protein and try to stay under 1800 calories. Granted it's a chore not easily accomplished but that's why I'm a fat guy. Just trying to say that the more simple you make it, the more successful you will be.

I cant go by hunger I have no problem cutting way back on food. I would love to be able to do that. I would love to give up a meal a day. but if I do that I start slowing down and running out of energy. before I started riding I did not gain or lose weight on about 2500 calories a day. i weight 204 at the time. always moving but not exercise. thats hwy the doctors thought I had a tapeworm or something and i was tested for everything. I would be so happy if I did not have to eat as much but my body punishes me when I try. if I don't eat enough protein at night my esophagus will wake me up with so much pain. when this first got bad maybe 30 years ago. I was eating about 2500 calories and running out of energy. a doctor though I was not getting enough calories. I started eat more and more till I started loosing weight at about 1 pound a week. but my guess on calories was around 5000 to 6000 over 1/2 that nuts. but I was not digesting my food well then and I still think that maybe a little bit of it. I know nuts tend to go through me not fully digested. my gut bacteria so so fragile everytime I get sick it get knocked down. I dont think I get all the fuel out of my food and thats why I have to eat so much.
Old 07-13-22, 04:03 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
A diet which consists only of lean protein and no fat will eventually make you sick and may even kill you....Eating fat is absolutely essential when following a very high protein diet. Fat is an essential macronutrient which a human body needs to stay healthy...
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 07-13-22, 06:04 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by wolfchild
A diet which consists only of lean protein and no fat will eventually make you sick and may even kill you....Eating fat is absolutely essential when following a very high protein diet. Fat is an essential macronutrient which a human body needs to stay healthy...
that would almost be impossible and aim not after that, I just want to cut back on fat and replace those calories with more protein.
Old 07-13-22, 06:09 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Iride01
Are you at your ideal weight? I'd just let that be your guide. Add more Calories to gain weight, less Calories to lose weight.
no I am about 210. but cutting calories dos not cause me to lose weight it just makes me weak. I think because I am actually not getting all the nutrition out of my food. I wish it was tat easy I would cut my food intake in a heartbeat and I have does it before. I hate eating and its a chore. its not easy to calculate calories the you have to rely on protein so much. your body uses 20% or more of the calories from protein just to digest it. at one time I had to eat 5000 or so calories a day to lose weight because I digested food so poorly. thats my problem too I need more calories then usual because I don't get all the fuel from my food.
Old 07-13-22, 08:32 PM
fooferdoggie 

this is now my typical dinner. 1 pound of lean ground beef today is extra special with two Edds because I feel more hungry then usual. it just has a little salt on it. I have been eating this or something very much like it for over 30 years almost every night.no one would eat this every night by choice. I knowI would not. some days its like 1 3/4" pounds of party wings baked till crisp with salt. but those often don't have enough meat on them and I need some protein powder to make it through the night. Would give this meal up in a instant if I had the spare energy and it would not make my esophagus hurt all night long. this is 2 cups of food so by volume its not a lot. but hey tomorrow is veggie day so I will get about 1# of baby greens and veggies with some dressing I can handle and 1/2 pound of meat.

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 07-13-22 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-14-22, 08:38 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
no I am about 210. but cutting calories dos not cause me to lose weight it just makes me weak. I think because I am actually not getting all the nutrition out of my food. I wish it was tat easy I would cut my food intake in a heartbeat and I have does it before. I hate eating and its a chore. its not easy to calculate calories the you have to rely on protein so much. your body uses 20% or more of the calories from protein just to digest it. at one time I had to eat 5000 or so calories a day to lose weight because I digested food so poorly. thats my problem too I need more calories then usual because I don't get all the fuel from my food.
Since you do have such odd issues with food, then I don't see how you can really believe we here can suggest anything. Perhaps you are really just hoping to find someone that shares your condition/symptoms and might have some useful things they've found out.

However protein is not a good source of energy or a good diet long term. So that's probably why you felt lacking for energy when you tried to cut Calories. Reducing Calories will have you lose weight. But it's not as simple as just cutting Calories suggest. It takes time. Time as in months and years for some.

Still, we've discussed your issues a year or two ago. Don't remember all of it. Have you ever talked to someone about having your gut microbiome replaced? And then there are still things about your symptoms then that sound like allergic reactions to something.

All of which means little of what we suggest will be of help.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-14-22, 09:09 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Iride01
Since you do have such odd issues with food, then I don't see how you can really believe we here can suggest anything. Perhaps you are really just hoping to find someone that shares your condition/symptoms and might have some useful things they've found out.

However protein is not a good source of energy or a good diet long term. So that's probably why you felt lacking for energy when you tried to cut Calories. Reducing Calories will have you lose weight. But it's not as simple as just cutting Calories suggest. It takes time. Time as in months and years for some.

Still, we've discussed your issues a year or two ago. Don't remember all of it. Have you ever talked to someone about having your gut microbiome replaced? And then there are still things about your symptoms then that sound like allergic reactions to something.

All of which means little of what we suggest will be of help.
belive me I know protein sucks for energy but my stupid body seems to only use it or mostly it for fuel. it has driven me nuts for many years. yes if you eat less calories you can lose weight but you have to figure out how many calories you need in the first place. I have no clue on what that is. I have maintained my weight for several years. but when I cut my calories slightly over a few weeks I start running out of energy. I measure that energy so I can know what's going on.
Yes I had tried to get a poop transplant but in the US its not easy. but Thinking about it it could help with some of my food issues but it wont help with my carb problems. but I would be stuck with gut bacteria that need carbs again to live. it took a year of no carbs to get my gut bacteria working well working better then it has in 30 years. I think this is a combo of things a genetic issue that causes the carb problem messed up gut bacteria from too many antibiotics and a extremely sensitive eshagus that hates about everything with any flavor or for no reason at all. I went through all the meds to help my esophagus and they all made it worse. only not eating cabs and not drinking acidic things have made it better. but I measure my average watts on all my rides and I can see how food effects my rides. but even thats tricky because it can be hours before a food effects it as in protein as energy is really slow. I fund one food that was fatty that gave me a boost it was those chicken skins they Now sell flock chips. but god they are so fatty and salty I only eat them on weekends before long rides. I found a good GP that does regular bloodwork and has given me ideas that have helped but none of the specialty have had any solutions at all. But sometimes I get nuggets of ideas from others.
the problem with fat is it can hurt my esophagus too. like cream or liquid fats. I even tried a couple of tablespoons of fish oil capsules so I would not have the oil touch my esophagus but after a few weeks it was hurting it. I am starting to think my esophagus of a indicator on how my my body is feeling rather then just hurting for any reason. my body has beaten me up so much over the years that I will give up any food if feel better doing it.
Old 07-14-22, 09:34 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
how sensitive are you to butters? Peanut Butter? Almond Butter? Cashew Butter? Regular sweet unsalted butter?

If you can't have the above without stomach or body conflict, you might consider seeking direction from a nutritionist that has access to your medical profile.
Old 07-14-22, 10:51 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Troul
how sensitive are you to butters? Peanut Butter? Almond Butter? Cashew Butter? Regular sweet unsalted butter?

If you can't have the above without stomach or body conflict, you might consider seeking direction from a nutritionist that has access to your medical profile.
fairly sensitive. I can eat a bit but I don't now if it is the fat or the carbs in the nuts. I can tolerate a bit more carbs from nuts then any other source. I like have small almond flour pancakes a few times a week I used to have the almond pasta but it just too carby for a small serving. my treat is a justins nut butter cup not too much sugar and lots of flavor. I use butter for my eggs and pork fat to lube the pan. but I cant handle really fatty meat unless it is crispy like pork belly. But I would have to eat so much pork belly as there is a lot of calories but not a lot of protein in it. like if I cooked a pound of it its more calories then a pound of lean hamburger but less then 1/2 the protein and I would end up hungry in the middle of the night. I had to start having some protein powder after I ate it. This is why it seems protein gives me more fuel then fat.
but even the way the protein is made or cooked makes a difference. I can eat any meat but if it is cooked in water it will bother me. I would make a stew out of the veggies I could handle and it would piss my body off. finally found out it was the meat cooked in water. I seemed fine with the egg white powder (I used the one with nothing else added) but after almost 5 pounds of it over the months my esophagus was screaming and I finally had to stop drinking it. as long as I don't have it every day it should be fine. but why? it is just egg whites. But this is the kind of wack I have to deal with and leaves doctors baffled.
the whole thing is jsut trail and error but I am sick of the effects I have when it fails as it most of the time does. this time it only took 4 days to start feeling better after stopping the egg whites.
Old 07-15-22, 11:07 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval

As far as the fritter goes, I just ate it!
Likes For Road Fan:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.