Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 502 Times in 319 Posts
Electric bike death in Marin

https://www.sfgate.com/california-pa...k-17317476.php
Old 07-20-22, 03:24 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,564 Times in 1,214 Posts
A lot of people out trying trails they would never ride without an electric. Not much info.
Old 07-21-22, 04:46 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 2,501 Times in 1,045 Posts
Old 07-29-22, 03:20 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
E-bikes...where you can "lose control going uphill" and fall off a cliff. Assuming the trail isn't inches from said cliff, that means the person lost control and continued UPHILL out of control where it went over the edge.

I have an ebike for commuting, and even with decades of riding experience, it was a tough transition to learn how to tame the wild beast. So much weight and a powerful motor which takes some finesse to control the speed made for a tough few rides until I got the hang of it. Inexperienced riders whose first bike is an electric...that seems like a bad combination (which we don't know in terms of this news story, just in general).

Last edited by cthenn; 07-29-22 at 03:23 PM.
Likes For cthenn:
Old 07-29-22, 04:02 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
^^^^^^ A while back I considered purchasing a touring motorcycle and taking a class to learn how to properly ride-control such.
After weighing everything, I put the kibosh on this idea due to the risks involved with my poor eyesight and the power of any potential bike being beyond my experience and skill.
Old 07-29-22, 04:44 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Are you guys sure you are talking about ebikes here?

I commute on an ebike. I recently gave an ebike to my sister in Northern California to commute on instead of her driving her jeep to work every day. When I say ebike I don't think I am thinking of the same thing you guys are.

. . . oh, and my motorcycle, I ride a Moto Guzzi 850.

Originally Posted by cthenn
E-bikes...where you can "lose control going uphill" and fall off a cliff. Assuming the trail isn't inches from said cliff, that means the person lost control and continued UPHILL out of control where it went over the edge.

I have an ebike for commuting, and even with decades of riding experience, it was a tough transition to learn how to tame the wild beast. So much weight and a powerful motor which takes some finesse to control the speed made for a tough few rides until I got the hang of it. Inexperienced riders whose first bike is an electric...that seems like a bad combination (which we don't know in terms of this news story, just in general).
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
^^^^^^ A while back I considered purchasing a touring motorcycle and taking a class to learn how to properly ride-control such.
After weighing everything, I put the kibosh on this idea due to the risks involved with my poor eyesight and the power of any potential bike being beyond my experience and skill.
Old 07-29-22, 04:54 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I have seen fat MTB e-bikes both in the SoCal canyons and on river trails easily traveling at 30-40 mph.
I cannot say what modifications if any they had but top speed is usually an indication of watts and I could see how an e-bike could get out of the control of a rider rather easily.
I was only echoing that sometimes people do not know what they are getting into and "e-bike' could be a misnomer for an e-motorcycle when you look at the top speed.
Old 07-29-22, 04:59 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
The thing there is, start small and work your way up. I started riding minibikes when I was 10, which has no clutch or gears involved. Just learning the throttle & brakes is a learning process, and it lets you get a good sense of how the bike handles, in different situations. Starting out in a dirt field is a good idea, because most people WILL fall a time or two, or more. 🙄😉

Then a bike with a smaller engine, like a 100cc or maybe 125cc, to get used to using the clutch & gears.

Way too many people try to just jump on a bigger bike, like a Harley, without having a clue how to ride. And sadly, a lot of them die or get hurt. 😟

These E-bikes are much the same, I imagine, never been on one yet myself. But you have to learn to walk, before you try running.
Likes For stardognine:
Old 07-30-22, 03:49 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
At least he was wearing a helmet.
Old 08-04-22, 08:54 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,532 Posts
I make a distinction between pedal assist and those with throttles. IMHO anything with a throttle is a motor cycle, whether it has pedals or not

It would seem to me to be pretty hard go too fast uphill with pedal assist, and if there is an issue, stopping pedaling should stop power