Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What may annoy you when commuting?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-19, 03:55 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
A yellow skool bus blew by me less than 3-foot going 50 mph.
They've changed the local school to a specialty school, and regularly have big 40 foot buses carrying one kid.

When I first moved here, I would regularly get close passes by school buses, but I assume I get passed by the same buses, and they seem to have relaxed some, and usually wait to pass until visibility is clear.

However, a year or so I was doing some local hill repeats, and a school bus passed me, then stopped about 1/2 bus length in front of me. Lights flashing, MUST STOP BY LAW.

Fortunately I was in my 10th or so time up the hill, and not trying for a KOM.
Old 03-20-19, 04:14 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by eswright
Lyft and Uber drivers in the bike lane, holy smokes. I feel like I'm riding around with my stress levels on high in extreme defense mode.
They are the scourge!

The latest trend here seems to be putting on their hazard lights before stopping to drop someone off, rather than signaling. It doesn't seem too bad, but most of the streets in the city are one way, so they might be pulling to the right or the left, and you have no clue, because they have all four directionals blinking. And it's reinforcing behavior: some of the clueless idiots see other idiots doing it, so they think it's the right thing to do.
Old 03-20-19, 06:28 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
@Wrokkar, welcome to the site, sorry about the circumstances!
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-20-19, 08:22 PM
harshbarj

Bikes: Trek Belleville, Workcycles opa, Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Drivers! In far too much of a hurry without regard for laws. That and their park anywhere lights (also known as hazard lights).
Old 03-20-19, 08:34 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Some time this spring I’m gonna have to pass somebody about 2-4 times. You know that guy (girl?) who passes you like their seat is on fire only to fizzle out about two blocks ahead. So you approach, call out “on yer left” and make the pass safely. Five minutes or five blocks later... here we go again.

It happens every spring when the weather gets nice and the tax refund checks find their way into the LBS. Suddenly bicycle commuting seems like a good idea to folks full of good intentions.

Don’t get me wrong, I applaud their interest and effort but really don’t appreciate their unpredictable riding. If traffic is tight and it looks risky to keep swapping I’ll stop for a bit to get a little separation.

Happens every year.

-Kedosto
Old 03-20-19, 08:55 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
I am so happy to commute on my bike its tuff to get me down. I will say the worst is rain just above freezing.
Old 03-20-19, 10:17 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikewolf
Commuting requires some tolerance, sure. But there are days!
E.g. a scooter idiot not looking when making a turn, crossing your path ... (sigh)

Anything you experienced while commuting that caused some frustration?
Originally Posted by banerjek
Nothing really gets to me -- seriously.

There's nothing more futile than struggling against inevitability, in this case the cycling environment. Bad drivers, morons, difficult conditions, etc. are all part of that. Gotta find a way to embrace it.

To do otherwise is like taking up mountaineering and being unhappy because it's too much work, too dangerous, and too cold.
The OP posted such an open-ended question, that my best answer was nothing that would make me want to give up cycling, or too trite to enumerate, even after being hit by a car from behind.

However, I have posted to several threads, though not as heatedly as @mjac :
Originally Posted by mjac
Anytime you ride in the street and do not get killed, it is a plus. I do not recommend it.

If you can't commute using dedicated Bike Paths don't do it. It is not worth it. It only takes one Jackass and you are going to lose the battle with a 21/2 Ton Automobile.

Stick to Bike Paths and Parks and ride safely and happily. The number of Ghost Funerals in this City alone is unbelievable. Their ain't nothing Romantic about it. You are Hurt or you are Dead and a Statistic that everyone will forget about.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Frankly, I have posted that I would not be inclined to encourage, unless by example (nor discourage) someone to cycle-commute, but if they so chose, I would freely and gladly give any advice...

Public exhortations to cycle-commute, or utility cycle are well and good with no individual responsibility for bad outcomes, but I would not want the recriminations of a personal endorsement if something bad happened

FWW, I’m not advocatin’ against, just sayin’
Old 03-20-19, 11:07 PM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
What may annoy you when commuting?The OP posted such an open-ended question, that my best answer was nothing that would make me want to give up cycling, or too trite to enumerate, even after being hit by a car from behind.

However, I have posted to several threads, though not as heatedly as @mjac :
land your point is...

I did not mean to sound heated. I merely wanted to introduce some reality into the situation. These Ghost Bike Funerals are happening all the time around here. Each one of these represents a dead cicylist. Recently two cicylist were killed at the same time by a drunk driver. That is reality. Nobody seems to want to acknowledge that. You either find a solution to this,whatever your personal solution is or tempt the same fate. I do not want to see this happen to anyone and it is happening too often.

suffer the consequences.
Old 03-20-19, 11:17 PM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Nothing really gets to me -- seriously.
I get you, I think. I’m an optimistic cyclist ;-) However.... When I encounter imminent danger I’m not happy!
Old 03-21-19, 07:04 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
We have heat maps off collision with cars (40) and near collisions that result in an cycle-cycle, cycle-ped or cycle-auto altercation (400) for the last six months.

Our local users group keeps the maps and suggestions that it's very under reported.

9mi2 island ... about 300k people during the working day.

Old 03-21-19, 07:07 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Squirrels!
Old 03-21-19, 07:08 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
I did not mean to sound heated. I merely wanted to introduce some reality into the situation. These Ghost Bike Funerals are happening all the time around here. Each one of these represents a dead cicylist. Recently two cicylist were killed at the same time by a drunk driver. That is reality. Nobody seems to want to acknowledge that. You either find a solution to this,whatever your personal solution is or tempt the same fate. I do not want to see this happen to anyone and it is happening too often.

It does happen too often. Many things can be done about it, but very little is.

Road safety affects everyone. For example, drivers get killed all the time. If we had ghost cars, there'd probably be so much wreckage that it would be hard to get around.
Old 03-21-19, 07:22 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Catching myself thinking very much about work on my ride in, before I even get to work - that there is something that annoys me while commuting. Sometimes I’ll start getting frustrated about what I know I’m gonna have to deal with when I get there, and I tend to take my frustrations out on my knees when I’m on the bike. It’s counterproductive because the frustration gets me there faster. I try to keep my saddle time stress free, but a long monotonous commute sometimes inspires the mind to wander.
Old 03-21-19, 07:24 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by acidfast7
We have heat maps off collision with cars (40) and near collisions that result in an cycle-cycle, cycle-ped or cycle-auto altercation (400) for the last six months.

Our local users group keeps the maps and suggestions that it's very under reported.

9mi2 island ... about 300k people during the working day.

Look at this folks. This is just one area. Multiply this around the entire country and you get the idea. This also acknowledges it is very under reported. Get it? You have to ride safe. If an area is dangerous and/or at peak traffic hours try and avoid it. Don't try and deal with it. Being struck by a car can be lethal. Don't think you can ride anywhere you want at any time just because you believe you have just as much right to use the streets as cars do. There is not some magical bicycle God that is going to protect you. Use common sense and enjoy your avocation. Cars and drivers don't care. Don't be a victim of their carelessness. It is not worth it. You are not proving anything.
Old 03-21-19, 07:34 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Phamilton
Catching myself thinking very much about work on my ride in, before I even get to work - that there is something that annoys me while commuting. Sometimes I’ll start getting frustrated about what I know I’m gonna have to deal with when I get there, and I tend to take my frustrations out on my knees when I’m on the bike. It’s counterproductive because the frustration gets me there faster. I try to keep my saddle time stress free, but a long monotonous commute sometimes inspires the mind to wander.
Gee,it is just the opposite with me. No matter what happens during the day or night, I take my morning or evening bike ride along the Lake and it is irrelevant. I mean irrelevant. Everything is put into perspective and I realize how insignificant these people and events are. Of course I am not commuting to work on the streets but up on a Bike Path on top of the levee. I think all rides should be enjoyable. That is the whole point.
Old 03-21-19, 07:42 AM
mjac

It does happen too often. Many things can be done about it, but very little is.

Road safety affects everyone. For example, drivers get killed all the time. If we had ghost cars, there'd probably be so much wreckage that it would be hard to get around.
Look at the Heat Map below your post. This is just for one area and it is acknowledged that it is very under reported. Multiply this around the country and you get the idea. Nobody is going to do anything about it and nothing is going to get done. That is why every individual cicylist has to take individual responsibility for themselves and decide what is their best personal way to deal with it. I can't tell you how to deal with it and you probably can't tell me how to deal with it. But you have to deal with it. Acknowledge it and face it and do not take it for granted.
Old 03-21-19, 07:49 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Look at this folks. This is just one area. Multiply this around the entire country and you get the idea. This also acknowledges it is very under reported. Get it? You have to ride safe. If an area is dangerous and/or at peak traffic hours try and avoid it. Don't try and deal with it. Being struck by a car can be lethal. Don't think you can ride anywhere you want at any time just because you believe you have just as much right to use the streets as cars do. There is not some magical bicycle God that is going to protect you. Use common sense and enjoy your avocation. Cars and drivers don't care. Don't be a victim of their carelessness. It is not worth it. You are not proving anything.
I was hit once already and I'm very a conscious rider. Bright sun, bad windscreen and they didn't see me stopped at the light. And, I didn't report it, so I didn't make it into the dataset. Next time, I will report it.

I saw the exact same thing happen to a student at the same intersection.

We are victims of badly channeled infrastructure and population density (most densely populated city in Western Europe and more building going on every day due to the current city-wide economic boom). My local ward on that map, centre and near the seafront, has 17000+ people living in about 1km2.

https://www.citypopulation.de/php/uk...m2id=E05002442

Gotta say that I love it though and won't move again unless something very interesting comes along.
Old 03-21-19, 07:50 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
What is a “near miss?” Who reports near misses?
Old 03-21-19, 07:59 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by alan s
What is a “near miss?” Who reports near misses?
A near miss is something that results in an altercation (usually verbal interaction) between people. It's split about into half auto people (cyclists can be ******** and damage cars) or cyclists (ped/auto people/other cyclists can be ********). Third parties report as well.

It's a list of choke points that need be improved.

The "hits" is when the police/ambulatory services get involved. So, about 80-100 times/year.

example: Someone passing a bike close and the bike catching up and breaking the mirror off would be a near miss and would usually get reported by one party or a third party.
Old 03-21-19, 08:03 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Mechanicals...

... 1/2 block from home in the morning. Have to turn around and go to Plan B, which might be a different bike, or taking the car.

Another one might be flatting in the dark in the rain...which seems to be the most common mode.
Old 03-21-19, 08:12 AM
mjac

I was hit once already and I'm very a conscious rider. Bright sun, bad windscreen and they didn't see me stopped at the light. And, I didn't report it, so I didn't make it into the dataset. Next time, I will report it.

I saw the exact same thing happen to a student at the same intersection.

We are victims of badly channeled infrastructure and population density (most densely populated city in Western Europe and more building going on every day due to the current city-wide economic boom). My local ward on that map, centre and near the seafront, has 17000+ people living in about 1km2.

https://www.citypopulation.de/php/uk...m2id=E05002442

Gotta say that I love it though and won't move again unless something very interesting comes along.
Good luck to you.

Cities and Metropolitan areas develop the way they develop. Very difficult, nay impossible, to control. I thought you were in the U.S.
Old 03-21-19, 08:35 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts

Look at the Heat Map below your post. This is just for one area and it is acknowledged that it is very under reported. Multiply this around the country and you get the idea. Nobody is going to do anything about it and nothing is going to get done. That is why every individual cicylist has to take individual responsibility for themselves and decide what is their best personal way to deal with it. I can't tell you how to deal with it and you probably can't tell me how to deal with it. But you have to deal with it. Acknowledge it and face it and do not take it for granted.
Why don't you drive, walk and/or take public transport and stop electronically hyperventilating about the horrors of commuting by bicycle on the street?
Old 03-21-19, 08:44 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Why don't you drive, walk and/or take public transport and stop electronically hyperventilating about the horrors of commuting by bicycle on the street?
Tell that to the families of the people who have been killed in this city alone.The problem has to be recognized and dealt with and it is not. Not joked about and made light of. Hyperventilating indeed.
Old 03-21-19, 08:46 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Why don't you drive, walk and/or take public transport and stop electronically hyperventilating about thehorrors of commuting by bicycle on the street?
he's obviously a horror fan.
Old 03-21-19, 08:51 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
A near miss is something that results in an altercation (usually verbal interaction) between people. It's split about into half auto people (cyclists can be ******** and damage cars) or cyclists (ped/auto people/other cyclists can be ********). Third parties report as well.

It's a list of choke points that need be improved.

The "hits" is when the police/ambulatory services get involved. So, about 80-100 times/year.

example: Someone passing a bike close and the bike catching up and breaking the mirror off would be a near miss and would usually get reported by one party or a third party.
Who reports verbal altercations? What is that? Yelling at someone? I thought you Brits had more spine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.