Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Jan Heine "Busts" Another Tire/Wheel Myth...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Jan Heine "Busts" Another Tire/Wheel Myth...

Old 08-07-20, 05:43 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
To underscore this - the idea that CO2 could cause climate change was disproven in 1905 when people learned about spectrometry. After the idea of it was theorized in 1886 by Arrhenius. Do you suppose anything new has been learned since then?
'
Yeah, no. See, posting nonsense like this undermines your whole argument. Also, the reason given for 29ers when they came out was that large wheels rolled over obstacles more easily.
Likes For himespau:
Old 08-07-20, 06:03 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Yeah, no. See, posting nonsense like this undermines your whole argument.
But, there's so many to chose from.
Old 08-07-20, 08:07 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
Suntour has released a number of forks for 26ers that are guaranteed to keep the front wheel down.

John

Edit Added: Steel is real...
...heavy.
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-07-20, 08:58 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
This is absolute rubbish.
I agree.
Old 08-08-20, 06:34 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
It would appear that The Transportation Research Board of the National Academies of Science, Engineering and Medicine did not get your memo:
Coefficient of Friction Between Tires and Road Surfaces

And here they pretty well spell it out See page 19: "The resistive force, characterized using the non-dimensional friction coefficient, μ , is the ratio of the tangential friction force (F) between the tire tread rubber and the horizontal traveled surface to the perpendicular force or vertical load (FW)"
Seriously? Joking with a random cite? I'm not going into it further.

Last edited by wphamilton; 08-08-20 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-08-20, 12:07 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Seriously? Joking with a random cite? I'm not going into it further.
What is “random” about the National Academy of Science, Engineering, and Medicine? And what is “random” about a cite showing them using CoF in ways you are claiming are inappropriate?
Old 08-08-20, 01:19 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
What is “random” about the National Academy of Science, Engineering, and Medicine? And what is “random” about a cite showing them using CoF in ways you are claiming are inappropriate?
Random selection by you, in that it doesn't help to illustrate your eccentric notion of the coefficient of friction.
Old 08-08-20, 03:14 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
No, but a Ph.D. in a field of science from the University of Washington makes me more willing to take him seriously than an anonymous person on the internet who makes such claims. As a scientist myself, I have a reasonably nuanced idea of what constitutes "scientific method," and from everything I have read from Jan Heine, it is clear he does as well.

It is cheap and easy to denounce someone like this on the internet, but I would find evidence far more compelling.
Correct. But what I find interesting is people will pick and choose what they want to believe. Some time back Jan Heine also wrote a detailed scientific analysis of carbon fiber going soft as it ages, I can't find the article anymore, but Jan got slammed around for that one because no one wants to accept that possibility because CF bikes are all the rage. The closest I can get to that article is just a summary, but anyways read especially the last paragraph: https://www.renehersecycles.com/frames-going-soft/ So I think people psychologically pick what they want to believe.