Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Lights

Old 08-19-20, 08:05 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I think the Bontrager lights are way over priced for just 200 lumens for both front and rear, and priced at $115 for the pair.

Look you can get a Lezyne Hecto Drive 500XL, meaning of course the front light will put out 500 lumens, that's 300 more than the Bontrager, for just $40. Of course you'll need a tail light, so the NiteRider Omega 300 puts out 300 lumens, which is 100 more than the Bontrager, and the Omega 300 will cost you $42 on Amazon. $42 plus $40 is $82 which is $33 dollars less for more lumen power. like the Bontrager, these are famous maker lights, not some cheap Chinese made knockoffs. I have both of the lights I mentioned, accept my Lezyne is a Hecto Drive 400XL which they no longer make, but both of those lights have been very good, and their estimated battery run times are nearly spot on. Mine are about 2 years old and still working fine.

I will say this, I would not count on a 200 lumen light to see the road with at night, you need at least 400 to do that adequately. At night I add another headlight and tail light to the the lights I mentioned.
Old 08-19-20, 08:56 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
How heavy is your bike?

Try getting sandwiched between a 60,000# garbage truck and a F150.

I walked away. Just glad my bike wasn't in the trunk. It would of been hard to explain that a bike costs that much to the insurance agent.
Wow. I would've expected worse when you said "garbage truck"... car took it well! Very lucky.
Old 08-20-20, 05:56 AM
Univega

Bikes: Univega Modo Volare (2001)

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
quite happy with Lezyne lights.
There are a number of them. Which one do you recommend?
Old 08-20-20, 06:01 AM
Univega

Originally Posted by greatscott
I think the Bontrager lights are way over priced for just 200 lumens for both front and rear, and priced at $115 for the pair.

Look you can get a Lezyne Hecto Drive 500XL, meaning of course the front light will put out 500 lumens, that's 300 more than the Bontrager, for just $40. Of course you'll need a tail light, so the NiteRider Omega 300 puts out 300 lumens, which is 100 more than the Bontrager, and the Omega 300 will cost you $42 on Amazon. $42 plus $40 is $82 which is $33 dollars less for more lumen power. like the Bontrager, these are famous maker lights, not some cheap Chinese made knockoffs. I have both of the lights I mentioned, accept my Lezyne is a Hecto Drive 400XL which they no longer make, but both of those lights have been very good, and their estimated battery run times are nearly spot on. Mine are about 2 years old and still working fine.

I will say this, I would not count on a 200 lumen light to see the road with at night, you need at least 400 to do that adequately. At night I add another headlight and tail light to the the lights I mentioned.
An excellent front light. I am also looking for a rear light. So I will look up all these recommendations including the NiteRider! Thanks!
Old 08-20-20, 06:32 AM
Univega

I am lighting lights with a clip. I walk my dog at night. I can attach it to my belt. Cars get too close there too.
Old 08-20-20, 06:55 AM
wilson_smyth

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts
I went with the LEzyne 1300 xxl front and rear.
Crazy long battery life between charges.

At about 300g they are not for anyone looking to shed every last gram, but for commuting, they are the biz.
Old 08-20-20, 09:53 AM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Well I bought Cateye Loop 2 front and rear, yay!
Old 08-20-20, 03:02 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
If for some reason my $11 LE Rechargeable Red LED Bike Rear Light flops off or malfunctions, I might give the CatEye CA490LP2RC Loop 2 combo a go for its $20 price. I dont need the front though.
Old 08-20-20, 03:09 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
If for some reason my $11 LE Rechargeable Red LED Bike Rear Light flops off or malfunctions, I might give the CatEye CA490LP2RC Loop 2 combo a go for its $20 price. I dont need the front though.
I went rechargeable but ironically the battery operated models last far longer
Old 08-22-20, 07:21 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Univega
Are the Bontrager (Trek) lights mentioned above BRIGHT. Can they be seen on sunny days and from a distance. Anything to get attention back to the road where it should be.

To me, this is an important topic to try and insure our safety.
I use Bontrager lights, and they are definitely bright. Ion 200 for day time front flash and RT 200 flare on the rear. I am not sure why I waited so long to add a front flash. I never leave home with out it.
Old 08-22-20, 07:46 AM
DaverSomething

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 7 Posts
I've been using Cygolites for a while now and love them. Great value.

Recently picked up a Metro 700/Hotshot 100 Combo for $60, but I was planning to buy a smaller Dash combo for similar money.

For others I usually recommend the flexible and easy mounts, but for myself I prefer multiple rigid mounts so I can move the lights between bikes and not have to re-aim them.
Likes For DaverSomething:
Old 08-23-20, 09:00 AM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Lupine & Dinotte.! Front-Rear The best..

Lupine Headlamps only and ever same with my rear's being Dinotte..... Lupine Better R @ 5500 Genuine German Lumens...
Old 08-23-20, 01:18 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
So far the LE is going bright after eight hours of use on one charge with the blink blink, blink setting.
Old 08-24-20, 12:55 AM
SVTNate
Packers Fan

Bikes: 2010 Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 30 Posts
After a lot of research, I bought the Cygolite set - which is the HotRod rear light, and the Dash Pro 600 lumen headlight. 80 bucks on Amazon, simple, reliable, good visibility, and excellent if you're riding after dark.

I leave them on my bike 100% of the time, even if I'm not planning to ride at night, and I'm on a MUP with no plans to be in traffic. Why? Because you never know, and I'd rather have them on board.

What I really like is that the HotRod rear light can mount on the seat stays, so if you have a saddle bag, you don't need to mount the light on the seat post.

I looked at more expensive lights, but do I really want or need BlueTooth connectivity on my lights? Nope. I just need them to work. A light should be a simple thing IMO.
Likes For SVTNate:
Old 08-24-20, 05:45 AM
Univega

Originally Posted by trekmogul
Lupine Headlamps only and ever same with my rear's being Dinotte..... Lupine Better R @ 5500 Genuine German Lumens...
A few things about the Dinotte.
  • They do not mention the lumens of the rear light. The tech specs do not come up on the website. Neither does F.A.Q.
  • I do not like the fact that it is not quick release. I have more than one road bike. It would be nicer to order and second mount and swap from bike to bike.
  • The price is high. $209 with a charger.
  • How much brighter are these than the Bontrager (Trek) lights, 350 lumen Cygolites or the Lezyne Strip drive Pro Alert Rear
Right now I am interested in a REAR light. I can see what is in front of me and really to not drive at night. Trying desperately trying to get the attention of someone texting or otherwise not paying attention LONG before they get to me.
The farther away they can see me the better chance I have.

Last edited by Univega; 08-24-20 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-24-20, 12:46 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
My favorite tail light is the Planet Bike Grateful Red. It's got one of the linear C.O.B. LEDs in it, puts out a LOT of light. Large thing, it also has large passive retroreflectors in the lens. Runs three modes: steady, multi-rate strobe, and high-low. Takes 2 AAA.

I prefer lights with removable batteries and carry rechargeable spares.

For headlights, I like ordinary high-powered LED flashlights, and I hang them on the handlebar with TwoFish mounts. One that I like, despite its absurd size and weight, is this:

https://www.dorcy.com/shop-now/flash...led-flashlight

For daytime riding, it can be run on wide-beam only at its lowest power and still be seen quite well. At night I use the wide and narrow beams in combination and it lights everything I need to see. I just think they could have made it shorter, if not lighter.
Old 08-24-20, 06:24 PM
SVTNate
Packers Fan

Bikes: 2010 Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by The Big Wheel
Does the Dash Pro 600 have 600 lumens when in flash mode?
Taken from the Road.CC review, which I read prior to purchase -

"The DayLightning mode is for visibility during daylight hours, and is perhaps the best feature of this lamp. In this mode, all five bulbs flash around once per second in a distinctive rapid triple flash, with the main lamp throwing out a claimed 700 lumens. I couldn't believe how bright and attention-grabbing the lamp is in this mode. Its pulses of light were so bright and noticeable, I could see it bouncing back off the road surface even in broad daylight. Riding through the centre of Bristol, I realised for the first time just how many reflective signposts and bollards there are – huge sections of the streetscape were flashing back at me in synchrony as I rode. Signposts over 200 metres away were clearly illuminated with pulses of light. It would be a particularly distracted driver who manages to overlook you with this going."

It's a great light, with a simply stretchy rubber band type attachment. No silly hardware to mount on the bike. No phone app nonsense to pair with. They're cheap and small enough that, if you were doing extended trips, just charge a spare and carry it with you.

Complaints? Well, I wish the included USB charging cable was longer. I keep my bike in the garage, lights attached, on a Park Tool stand. It would be cool to have the cable stretch 6-ish feet and charge while on the bike. But, it's a standard cable, you can get a longer one on Amazon for a few bucks. I just take the lights off the bike to charge, no big deal. I've got a magnetic power strip with USB ports on the side of my tool chest, so I just place the lights on top of that and charge them.