Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike Suggestions

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bike Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-21, 11:46 AM
jahzed1

Bikes: 2020 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Bike Suggestions

Not sure if this is the right forum, but since I'm in the >50 category (61 actually), I figured I'd start here. I was a crazy road biker in my 20s into my early 30s until I tore my ACL (not on the bike). I did the full rehab and couldn't get comfortable on the bike and gave it up. I started riding again in 2020 to see if I could handle it without any pain. I was leery of road bikes, so I got a Giant Escape 1 hybrid bike and have been loving it ever since. I've really been expanding my rides into the countryside more and more (30-50 miles), and have added clipless pedals. I'm definitely feeling the slog of the bike and am not sure if I should go with another hybrid/fitness model in carbon or if I should make the transition back to a road bike. I'm relatively new to the area and the local shop really hasn't been able to give me a lot of insight, so I'm looking for any suggestions.

I do use some of the local bike paths to get to the outlying roads in my area, so whatever I get has to be able to maneuver those too.

My fitness choices are a Giant Fastroad Advanced 1, Trek FX Sports 6, or a Specialized Sirrus X6.0. For road bikes, I've been looking at a Trek Domane SL5 or Specialized Roubaix.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-02-21, 11:57 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I am decidedly biased, but have you considered either an older road touring bike or something newer with similar frame geometry and configuration?
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 11-02-21, 12:09 PM
jahzed1

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks...I had not considered that as an option...I have a spreadsheet with all of the geometry from each of those bikes, but this is something I will take a look at...my 30 year-old self keeps pushing me toward a road bike, but a touring bike is a good option too. Thanks again!
Old 11-02-21, 01:16 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
In my area there are dozens of road bikes with carbon frames and Dura Ace 105 or Ultregra group sets that are selling for less than $2,000. These have modern geometry and 9 speed cassettes and these sold originally for 3-4 times the current asking price. Even if you put on new tires you will still be way ahead. You can also decide exactly what type of handlebar and what saddle and what pedals you want on the bike. With every bike I have owned I always replaced the factory handlebar with a Cinelli one and put on a new saddle and often replaced the brake pedals as well.

Even changing out the cassette for different gears that work better for you and where you ride or changing the chainrings for the same reason is a relatively minor upgrade and the cost is more than covered by what you save with the purchase of a new bike.

Mountain bikes have changed a great deal over the years but the main changes with road bikes has been combo brake lever gear shifters, more speeds at the rear, and hydraulic brakes. Only going to the brake lever shifters actually made a difference for my own riding with my road bikes.
Old 11-02-21, 01:52 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8271 Post(s)
Liked 9,021 Times in 4,468 Posts
Originally Posted by jahzed1
Thanks...I had not considered that as an option...I have a spreadsheet with all of the geometry from each of those bikes, but this is something I will take a look at...my 30 year-old self keeps pushing me toward a road bike, but a touring bike is a good option too. Thanks again!
If you like the more upright geometry of the Domane you might consider a BMC Roadmachine. It seems to have the most upright geo of road bikes I have looked at. Also the Giant Defy is a contender and good value. Canyon Endurace is also a good value but a little lower in the front end. It all depends on what you like but many of these "endurance" style road bikes come with low gearing and the ability to use wide tires.
Some of the nicer gravel bikes would make a versatile road bike, too.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-02-21, 02:48 PM
Bici Veloce

Bikes: 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL7 Dura-Ace Di2, 2022 Cervelo Caledonia-5 SRAM Rival etap AXS, 2019 Specialized Sirrus Elite Alloy, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2, 85 Bianchi Limited Shimano New 600EX

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
I recently made the transition from a Specialized Sirrus Elite Alloy Disc to an "endurance" style road bike. I looked at the Domane and Roubaix and ended up with a Cervelo Caledonia 5. I'm sure I would have been happy with any of the top brands, but the LBS had the Cervelo in my price range with the options I wanted.

I'm 57. For me, the "endurance" geometry provides a good balance of comfort and performance. The carbon frame and 30mm tires provide a much smoother ride than the aluminum frame Sirrus. My rides range from 40 to 65 miles, 4 to 5 times a week. My goal is 200 miles per week.

I still use my hybrid for puttin' around and towing my daughter in the trailer.
Old 11-02-21, 02:49 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,988 Posts
There are a lot of options. First decision you have to make is road vs hybrid. If you can't decide, then a gravel bike would pretty much cover both bases. Something like a Specialized Diverge.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-02-21, 04:31 PM
mwatt65 

Bikes: Giant Escape Disc 1 Giant Revolt Pro 1

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I started riding last year, my first bike was a Giant Escape disc 1. I lost the 25lbs I needed & decided to treat myself to a Giant Revolt Advanced 2, had a bump with it on my first ride, took advantage of Giants trade up program & bought the Revolt Pro 1.
This was a great purchase, I love the feel of the gravel bike on the bad roads in NJ, Trying to hit over 3000 miles this year.
Old 11-02-21, 04:43 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
First criteria on my mind is how flexible you are. Can you ride on the hoods or drops on a road bike? Will you need to bring the bars up if you can’t bend over enough.

If you are able to use a road bike, I would advise against getting a 30 year old bike. I still ride one, but I’ve ridden it for decades so gearing upgrades were no big deal on an already sunk investment.

Modern bars and brake hoods are more comfortable, (I finally swapped out my old non-aero 7400 brake levers and my left thumb no longer aches after rides).

A road bike on a MUP will handle better than your hybrid.

John
Old 11-02-21, 05:17 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
I agree about looking at gravel bikes. They run the gamut from more aggressive road-ish geo to practically MTB geo, so you have lots of options for how upright you want to be, and even if you want drops vs flat bars. Probably the most versatile option for sure. And a tire swap is all you need to make them more/less road or dirt oriented.
Old 11-02-21, 05:56 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by jahzed1
Geometry spreadsheets
Old 11-02-21, 06:14 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I also got back into cycling relatively recently after 15 years of not much riding and am 60. I got a Specialized Roubaix and it has worked out very well.. no problems at all with comfort and plenty fast. It is a good in between option if you don’t want to risk the full-on race geometry. Endurance bikes also are great for bike paths and light gravel, I run 35mm tires for gravel and 30mm on the road or for fine gravel bike paths.
Old 11-02-21, 06:36 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,059 Times in 1,078 Posts
I recently came back to drop bar bikes at 60, after about 20 years away. In my case I've been riding a recumbent for 20 years due to low back issues. My back is better than it's ever been, and I felt there was a chance I could find a drop bar fit that would work.

My initial thought was, I don't care about anyone's ideas of what a bike is called (road, gravel, cross, touring, adventure), but rather I care about fit and features. The good news is, with all that proliferation there are tons of options.

For fit, since I really had little idea on what would work, I started by buying an old road bike as a test bed. I iterated through fit changes, which involved changing stems, and moving saddle height and fore-aft. I put a quill-to-threadless adapter on, so I could try different stems from the local co-op. At the end of this experiment, I had a target frame size, with ideal stack and reach. You could probably do the same with a bike fitter; I wanted to do it myself.

Feature-wise, I let my intended riding drive my feature list. For me that was for long-distance, all -weather riding. Fenders, multiple bottle mounts, room for wide tires, slacker geometry. Based on other experience, I wanted disc brakes. I had a price-point in mind, which put me in a bracket component-wise. Finally, I preferred classic lines, which favored a steel frame. Your own list will be different, but the point is come up with your desired feature list based on how you want to ride. A bike for shorter, faster, high energy rides in fair weather on smooth roads would be very different.

From there, I started looking at specs for off-the-shelf bikes. The list was pretty short. I came super close to pulling the trigger on a All City Space Horse, but ended up buying a Soma frameset and building up a bike myself.

Basically what I'm saying is, your choice should be driven by what fits you and how you're going to ride.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 11-02-21, 09:13 PM
Mtl01

Bikes: Domane AL5, FX 2

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 21 Posts
I just got a new road bike (Domane al 5) after riding a hybrid for several years.

No problem with the transition at all. Love the fit of the Domane. It's a very comfortable ride.

The aluminum frame is just fine for me. Don't find it heavy at all. I considered getting the carbon model but the LBS I got my bike at wasn't sure when they would get one in. I ordered in late May and got the bike in late October.

I think a endurance style road bike would be a great choice for you.
Old 11-03-21, 01:27 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Fit and comfort is key with your choice. The Roubaix is an excellent bike. Good luck, and ride safe.
Old 11-03-21, 07:15 AM
jahzed1

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks...definitely something consider!
Old 11-03-21, 07:18 AM
jahzed1

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
yes, I am a nerd...I want to do side-by-side to my current bike that fits perfectly with no nagging knee, butt or arm problems...you should see the pivot tables!
Likes For jahzed1:
Old 11-03-21, 07:52 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
So do you like using a straight bar like that? Personally, I regard them as an ergonomic train wreck.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 11-03-21, 08:21 AM
pbass

Originally Posted by ofajen
So do you like using a straight bar like that? Personally, I regard them as an ergonomic train wreck.

Otto
Interesting how a trend in gravel bikes right now is for flat bars (I only really pay attention to gravel and "adventure" type of bikes, admittedly). The idea being it's for better offroad control--I get that to a degree - but also for comfort. To me, a drop bar with the hands on the hoods is waaaay more natural a position for the hands/wrists/arms. I take more of a beating through my arms on rough stuff or on long hard rides with flat bars, than with drops.
Likes For pbass:
Old 11-06-21, 01:44 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Don't overlook the difference that tires can make to ride comfort. In the past it was 23mm road tires on everything. Even pro riders have move to 25mm or 28mm tires which can be run at much lower pressure with no real increase in rolling resistance. A 700c25mm tire provides 15% more volume than a 700x23 tire and can be run at 15% lower PSI and provide the same amount of support for the bike and its rider. Going to a 28mm tire the air pressure can be 30% less than with the 23mm tire and with same amount of load support.

Even going to new wheels is less expensive than buying a new bike and a used bike is going to have narrow rims and limit one to narrower tires.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 11-06-21, 04:46 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by Calsun
Don't overlook the difference that tires can make to ride comfort. In the past it was 23mm road tires on everything. Even pro riders have move to 25mm or 28mm tires which can be run at much lower pressure with no real increase in rolling resistance. A 700c25mm tire provides 15% more volume than a 700x23 tire and can be run at 15% lower PSI and provide the same amount of support for the bike and its rider. Going to a 28mm tire the air pressure can be 30% less than with the 23mm tire and with same amount of load support.

Even going to new wheels is less expensive than buying a new bike and a used bike is going to have narrow rims and limit one to narrower tires.
And consider looking into a bike that can take 650B aka "Road Plus". My gravel bike has 650Bx47 tubeless, and I can run insanely low pressures on them. It's super cushy.
Old 11-06-21, 05:22 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12190 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,107 Posts
My favorite bike is a Gunnar Sport, changed my life. One of the bikes they make is the Fastlane, which might be worth taking a look at.

https://gunnarbikes.com/site/bikes/fast-lane/#
Old 11-06-21, 06:52 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,988 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
Interesting how a trend in gravel bikes right now is for flat bars (I only really pay attention to gravel and "adventure" type of bikes, admittedly). The idea being it's for better offroad control--I get that to a degree - but also for comfort. To me, a drop bar with the hands on the hoods is waaaay more natural a position for the hands/wrists/arms. I take more of a beating through my arms on rough stuff or on long hard rides with flat bars, than with drops.
I guess by "comfort" they just mean a more upright position.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-06-21, 07:10 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Like a few others have said, look at some road bike frames with geometries very similar to what you’re currently riding. As you know there is a lot of adjustments that can made with stems and stem heights that should keep you comfortable. You might look for some frames with taller head tubes as well. It sounds like you have the saddle height currently dialed in to best suit you right now so it’s more a question of keeping the reach comfortable for you. I’m always about lighter is better so you might also compare weights on different bikes. Stock wheelsets are typically 1800-1900 grams so you could save close to a pound with getting a wheelset in the 1400-1500 gram range and with wider widths for using wider tires. You’ll really notice lighter wheels on the hills and accelerations.
Old 11-08-21, 01:24 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
I discovered 650B tires about ten years ago. For me a light touring or randonneur bike, equipped with 38mm or 42mm wide tires is fast enough on pavement and capable on trails and dirt; and above all, they are comfortable.

Look at some of the offerings from Crust, crustbikes.com. or Rivendell,
Likes For ironwood:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.