Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

aero bars are awesome!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

aero bars are awesome!

Old 01-25-22, 04:06 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
How is that a competitive group ride? Paceline ride, sure.

If you have 20' of clean air you've been shot out the back and are headed home. As the clean air is between you and the group that just dropped you.

If you have 20' of clean air in front of you and you're on the front, on a competitive ride, you better not be in aerobars otherwise the group is going to wait until the second you get on front and get in them then light you up. And again, you're shot out the back this time while scrambling to get back to the shifters.

But that's exactly what I would do. I would grab the attention of the riders in the spots right behind you and the second you settled into those bars.......attack. I doubt it would take more than once, but repeat if necessary. No different than what you'd do to a tired rider that gets on the front then doesn't skip the pull, attack and drop them as they can't latch on.
I'd just let you go. Go kill yourself. I'll hold a steady pace and gradually bring you back. If a group takes off, I'd accelerate and sit on the back. The more attackers wear themselves out on the flat, the sooner I'll be able to attack on a climb. It's that cube rule. On the bars is close to the same effort as drafting. I have a lot of experience and wouldn't do it if it didn't work.
You haven't been there, done that.

What it is, is racer boys look down on folks like me who use aero bars to be more competitive, maybe because I was 10-15 years older than most of them. That's OK. They're already gone, I'm still leading rides. Frankly, I don't care.
Old 01-25-22, 04:12 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by HTupolev
If I switch to a wide-range cassette with a 11-13-15 progression instead of 1-tooth jumps, I can double the speed benefit of aerobars!
You could always try them for a year and then form your own opinions. I don't have much patience.
Old 01-25-22, 04:23 PM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by tobey
I know aerobars can no longer be used on the UCI World tour except for TT events but is that also true for other racing levels?
Yes.

​​​​​Aerobars haven't been allowed in mass start racing for thirty plus years now. They are not allowed in any (including things like granfondos which do not care about the other UCI rules) ​​​mass start events around my corner of Europe and with good reason; focusing the weight and speed of a rider at speed in a pole stuck out in front of the bike an inch in diameter is just not a healthy idea.
​​​​
In draft legal triathlon ITU bars which are joined by a bridge and do not protrude further from the brifters.
​​​​Draft legal triathlons where I am, the rules are observed and you will not start with non-compliant aerobars.
​​​​​
TT bikes are sexy and awesome (less versatile and practical, but sexy) but I wouldn't bring it to a group ride to be able to "keep up" or whatnot.

Last edited by Branko D; 01-25-22 at 04:32 PM.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 01-25-22, 04:58 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I'd just let you go. Go kill yourself. I'll hold a steady pace and gradually bring you back. If a group takes off, I'd accelerate and sit on the back. The more attackers wear themselves out on the flat, the sooner I'll be able to attack on a climb. It's that cube rule. On the bars is close to the same effort as drafting. I have a lot of experience and wouldn't do it if it didn't work.
You haven't been there, done that.

What it is, is racer boys look down on folks like me who use aero bars to be more competitive, maybe because I was 10-15 years older than most of them. That's OK. They're already gone, I'm still leading rides. Frankly, I don't care.
Still not a competitive ride.

A group ride where you have the luxury to get in and out of clipons ain’t that competitive of a ride.

I think you’re confusing weeknight worlds rides with group rides that chase segments and drop and regroup.

Weeknight worlds, it ain’t happening. I think there’s some inflation value to the competitive nature of this ride.
Old 01-25-22, 09:24 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
The point of clip on bars for a road bike is to buy a set that has adjustments such that you don't have to swap hardware out that messes with the road bike fit. The pad clamps should bolt to the extension poles and the extension poles can slide in/out of the pole clamps. That's your reach adjustment right there. Buying/swapping stems on a road bike to make clip on bars work is the wrong way to go.

Next up, if you do care about any measurable changes, you need to do out/back or looped routes. Since it's clip ons, do it once on the drop bars and the next on the clip ons. There ya go.

Side comment just for clowning around: for every 100 people posting about how they bought clip-ons for "all the hand positions and resting the elbows on long rides due to my sore old man's back" I'll show you 100 liars that bought them hoping they'd go faster also.
people with aero bars, i swear, not an honest one in the lot.
Likes For spelger:
Old 01-25-22, 09:58 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,202 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
So I don't do any regular racing or group rides. Most of my riding is solo, but I do plan to do a TT this year. I mostly got the aero bars to get more comfortable on the bike. On longer rides, I need the extra position to give me more hand placement options. Part of it was pure curiosity, wanting to experiment with aero and see how much faster I can go.
Funny you should mention that. Ultra distance racers quite often favor aero bars on a regular road bike.

Originally Posted by bonsai171
In any case, going back to my original question, how long of a stem should I try with clip on aero bars? Currently running a 110mm.
I wouldn't recommend changing the fit of your other hand positions unless they too feel stretched out. However, seeing as you already have a 100mm stem in your parts bin, it wouldn't hurt to throw it on for a few rides and see how it feels. I have gone as short as 90 and as long as 120 and honestly find little to no difference in handling or response.
Old 01-25-22, 10:06 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

By the way, if you want an aero bar with a shorter feel, the good ol' Spinacci bars will do the trick. They can easily be found for sale even though they're out of production.
https://cinelli.it/en/prodotti/spinaci-2/
Old 01-25-22, 10:09 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

A group ride where you have the luxury to get in and out of clipons ain’t that competitive of a ride.

I think you’re confusing weeknight worlds rides with group rides that chase segments and drop and regroup.

Weeknight worlds, it ain’t happening. I think there’s some inflation value to the competitive nature of this ride.
Back when I led the largest recreational fast group in the area, our rides did not match any of those descriptions. That was before Strava even existed. We had a good-sized club for a rider pool, 10,000 members back then, largest club in the country. The racers trained with their teams or their racer buddies. The local crit champ rode with us sometimes but on his fixed bike to make it more even. We rode his legs off in about 30 miles so he'd cut it short. Sometimes he'd complain about the pace being too fast. He was a 2 back then.

The way we did it, we tried to teach riders to ride fast and safely. I'd run the paceline and holler at miscreants. Yes, I yelled at people. We didn't regroup. Off the back was gone, see you in the beerpub, maybe. The front group would gradually get smaller as selections were made here and there. The idea was to keep the pace high and use other riders to help you do so. The after ride joke was how many riders did you come in with? My record was 3. We'd start with maybe 25, DOW.

I always won the finishing sprint until we attracted a younger racer wannabe who became. Then another guy showed up who could beat me on the hill sprints. Eventually i quit the fast group and started riding tandem with my wife in a slower group, aged out of the competition. I don't know how you do it but that's what we did here. There was one other fast group in town and we'd compete for riders by each trying to post a better route. These routes were 40-50 in winter and 60-100 in summer with a 50'/mile standard gain, but sometimes up to 100'.

We had a system for it: We'd post a route with the club and maybe 70 people would show up. We'd lead them up a nearby hill to see who could stay with whom, then divide them into 3 groups, each with their own leader and off we'd go. I started with this ride series in my mid-50s. It was tremendous fun. If we liked a rider, we'd make a personal invitation to come back and put them on the list. We'd post a ride with the club when we thought we needed a new infusion.
Old 01-26-22, 12:32 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,581 Times in 2,897 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Back when I led the largest recreational fast group in the area, our rides did not match any of those descriptions. That was before Strava even existed. We had a good-sized club for a rider pool, 10,000 members back then, largest club in the country. The racers trained with their teams or their racer buddies. The local crit champ rode with us sometimes but on his fixed bike to make it more even. We rode his legs off in about 30 miles so he'd cut it short. Sometimes he'd complain about the pace being too fast. He was a 2 back then.

The way we did it, we tried to teach riders to ride fast and safely. I'd run the paceline and holler at miscreants. Yes, I yelled at people. We didn't regroup. Off the back was gone, see you in the beerpub, maybe. The front group would gradually get smaller as selections were made here and there. The idea was to keep the pace high and use other riders to help you do so. The after ride joke was how many riders did you come in with? My record was 3. We'd start with maybe 25, DOW.

I always won the finishing sprint until we attracted a younger racer wannabe who became. Then another guy showed up who could beat me on the hill sprints. Eventually i quit the fast group and started riding tandem with my wife in a slower group, aged out of the competition. I don't know how you do it but that's what we did here. There was one other fast group in town and we'd compete for riders by each trying to post a better route. These routes were 40-50 in winter and 60-100 in summer with a 50'/mile standard gain, but sometimes up to 100'.

We had a system for it: We'd post a route with the club and maybe 70 people would show up. We'd lead them up a nearby hill to see who could stay with whom, then divide them into 3 groups, each with their own leader and off we'd go. I started with this ride series in my mid-50s. It was tremendous fun. If we liked a rider, we'd make a personal invitation to come back and put them on the list. We'd post a ride with the club when we thought we needed a new infusion.
I used to lead a fair percentage of the original CATS rides for Cascade. We had a core group of about 25 with 10 showing for a typical ride. When we dropped people, we would regroup at critical turns and if someone had a mechanical, others would pitch in for a quick repair. We were not fast but ran pacelines at a more moderate 20-22 since we were there to enjoy cycling together. A few would show to ride and would either be too slow or too fast and we wished them well. We all became fast friends with lots of parties and get togethers and two weddings. I spent a fair amount of time on a custom racing tandem in Celeste green or on my Bianchi. We did Ramrod and STP in one day with our group which was a blast. 5 hour centuries was the norm.

Old 01-26-22, 04:56 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Well, if a person has a real reason (besides ego) for wanting to go fast, aerobars are of limited use: you can't use them in a road race, and in gravel racing you really only see them in very long events which have some relatively flat and smooth terrain - which isn't a large portion of that scene. And most riders aren't such Strava ***** that they will use aerobars just to nail a KOM.
I gave in and added aerobars to my gravel rig last summer after seeing lots of people at events - including people at the pointy end of races - with them. They do help a lot - I certainly won't ride them in a paceline or on particularly crappy gravel, but they are fantastic for, as you say, long events, for smooth sections of gravel, and for the short pavement sections.

They do add comfort, but they also are much faster. I run a shorter stem on my gravel bikes with a slightly shorter reach than my road bike to accommodate the aerobars.

I do occasionally use the gravel bike on a road group ride before work during the week (I commute on the gravel bike). The group doesn't mind if I sit on the front on the bars. They also know I'm not going to be on them in a paceline.
Old 01-26-22, 10:35 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by ericcox
I gave in and added aerobars to my gravel rig last summer after seeing lots of people at events - including people at the pointy end of races - with them. They do help a lot - I certainly won't ride them in a paceline or on particularly crappy gravel, but they are fantastic for, as you say, long events, for smooth sections of gravel, and for the short pavement sections.

They do add comfort, but they also are much faster. I run a shorter stem on my gravel bikes with a slightly shorter reach than my road bike to accommodate the aerobars.

I do occasionally use the gravel bike on a road group ride before work during the week (I commute on the gravel bike). The group doesn't mind if I sit on the front on the bars. They also know I'm not going to be on them in a paceline.
do you really think they are much faster? i don't do gravel but on my road bike i actually think the bars are slower compared to the drops. i know i can get much much lower when in the drops but i can stay on the bars for much longer, maybe that is the compensation?
Likes For spelger:
Old 01-26-22, 10:54 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
do you really think they are much faster? i don't do gravel but on my road bike i actually think the bars are slower compared to the drops. i know i can get much much lower when in the drops but i can stay on the bars for much longer, maybe that is the compensation?
While not scientific, it seems I can hold more speed at the same power on similar roads on aerobars than I can on the drops or hoods. I've worked to set up a position I can maintain with a flat(ish) back. My arms are definitely in a more aero position on the aero bars than they are in the drops.
Likes For ericcox:
Old 01-26-22, 11:07 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by ericcox
While not scientific, it seems I can hold more speed at the same power on similar roads on aerobars than I can on the drops or hoods. I've worked to set up a position I can maintain with a flat(ish) back. My arms are definitely in a more aero position on the aero bars than they are in the drops.
your right about arm position, on the bars they are right in front of your core. My one dimensional thought didn't take that into consideration. I've only had the bars for a bit over a year now, really like them.
Likes For spelger:
Old 01-27-22, 12:42 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
What are "clip on" bars? I have seen a couple people mention that, but I've never seen a bar that just clips on. Of the two sets I have on my bikes, they clamp on to the regular bars, but they're bolted down. I don't know how you could have some that just clip on.

Anyway, I have just started calling them "ergo" bars. As stated in my post above, I use them to reduce muscle fatigue in my arms. I would prefer the elbow pads to be a little further out than most bars allow for, but like I said, I'm not using them to reduce aerodynamic drag (at <20mph pace, how much aerodynamic drag to I really have anyway?). Ultimately, I do think they make me faster, but as a result of less fatigue. Not any "aero" advantage.
Old 01-27-22, 01:34 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by VegasJen
What are "clip on" bars? I have seen a couple people mention that, but I've never seen a bar that just clips on. Of the two sets I have on my bikes, they clamp on to the regular bars, but they're bolted down. I don't know how you could have some that just clip on.
They are the same. Perhaps "clip" is a misnomer because they do indeed "clamp" onto the handlebar.

Anyway, I have just started calling them "ergo" bars.
The tricky thing with that is "ergo" or "anatomic" bar refers to a drop bar with a straight section where the hands normally grip in the drops (as opposed to a uniformly curved drop section), so you're likely to confuse others using that term to describe your aero bars/clip-ons/tri-bars.
Old 01-27-22, 10:14 AM
VegasJen

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
They are the same. Perhaps "clip" is a misnomer because they do indeed "clamp" onto the handlebar.

The tricky thing with that is "ergo" or "anatomic" bar refers to a drop bar with a straight section where the hands normally grip in the drops (as opposed to a uniformly curved drop section), so you're likely to confuse others using that term to describe your aero bars/clip-ons/tri-bars.
Well, the one thing I'm learning about the biking community is y'all have a lot of confusing terms. "Clipless" pedals you clip into, seats are "saddles", clamps are clips, plus a whole bunch more I still haven't figured out.
Old 01-27-22, 10:23 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Well, the one thing I'm learning about the biking community is y'all have a lot of confusing terms. "Clipless" pedals you clip into, seats are "saddles", clamps are clips, plus a whole bunch more I still haven't figured out.
Just don't call us bikers
Old 01-27-22, 12:40 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Every sport has it's own vocabulary which one must learn. Cycling is quite ordinary, try sailing for vocabulary where some words and pronunciations go back to the Napoleonic Wars. "Clipless" refers to substituting clipless pedals for flat pedals with toe clips. Horses have saddles not seats. Bikes were developed back when everyone rode horses. Clip-on aerobars I think just refers to easy on and off, not being part of the bike's structure. About "bikers". Bikers ride motorcycles. There are two categories of bike riders, "people on bicycles" and "cyclists." We are the latter and quite snobbish about it, some of us.
Old 01-27-22, 01:11 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4913 Post(s)
Liked 8,014 Times in 3,791 Posts

Yep. The "competitive" rides in my area are populated by racers, ex-racers, and other fast folks. The smaller rides are 30-40 people. The big rides get 100+, even when the weather is mediocre. You show up with areobars, and you'll be getting a lot of sideways glances. You get on those areobars, and you will be asked to remove yourself from the group.

A steady tempo paceline group is not a "competitive" ride.
Old 01-27-22, 01:37 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
y'all have a lot of confusing terms.
Don't even get us started on tire-size notation.

Back to the question of fitting aerobars: WIth most aerobars, the armrests are like Swiss cheese when you peel off the padding (which should be attached with velcro); this gives you dozens of ways to attach them to the brackets, to move your elbows fore/aft/in/out. You should also be able to slide the extensions fore/aft, and also rotate them (unless it's a U-shaped extension). Finally, risers can make a big difference. I put 30-mm risers on my bars. Before I did that, I could hold the aero position for 10 minutes. After, indefinitely.
Old 01-27-22, 03:42 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,901 Times in 2,538 Posts
And long before all this clipless stuff there were toeclips (that don't clip at all).
Old 01-27-22, 04:15 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,671 Posts
One more point about "clip-on"/"clamp-on" aero bars: the term was indeed originally "clamp-on," but the frequent use of "clipless" (to refer to pedals that did not require toe clips) resulted in people mispronouncing "clamp" as "clip."

Actually, two more points. "Clamp-on" came into use to distinguish add-on aero bars from the original Scott aero bars, which were formed as one complete handlebar, as below:

Old 01-28-22, 02:56 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Might enjoy this video

I talk quite a bit about aero bars for a bikepacking setup. I’m a big fan mainly for multiple hand positions and ability to lash stuff onto them. I went with Profile Designs 50a bars

Old 01-28-22, 10:09 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by adamrice
Don't even get us started on tire-size notation.
I actually saw a local ad recently by someone who claimed he was selling his 700c wheelset to get a 29er wheelset.
Old 01-28-22, 04:49 PM
Zuzus pedals

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Gaining 20 seconds per mile is probably due to more than aerobars unless you're incredibly strong relative to most people in the aero position. Maybe I'm just not as good as a lot of people when I go to aerobars, but I generally go 3% to 4% faster on them than I do in the drops when I'm riding at a steady effort. For example, if I'm going 20 mph in the drops and switch to the aerobars, my speed goes up to about 20.7 mph. At 24 mph in the drops, I'll get on the aerobars and the speed will shoot up to 24.8 mph. I improved my PR from 29.1 mph to 30.7 mph (a full 5.5%) on a 1-mile (-0.97% grade) Strava segment in similar wind conditions by using aerobars, and I'm sure some of that improvement was due to my aero position, but I also might have just had a better effort that time. From the hoods to the aerobars is of course a bigger difference - for me, that's about a 7% increase in speed. Maybe I haven't got the ideal configuration with the aerobars, but I've got them where I want them comfort-wise, and it feels like my power is best in that position. YMMV of course, but if your speed boost on aerobars is typical, I'm thinking about half of that speed improvement was attributable to something other than the bars - maybe warmer (less dense) air, more tailwind or just a much better effort.