Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Park Torque Tool - Which one?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-22, 07:38 AM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts

I have an old, but great, Snap-on 1/4" drive torque wrench.
The Park T-Handle torque tool looks handy - do I need one?

If "Yes" - Which one???

My seat post is the only Carbon piece currently on my gravel Warbird

PTD-6
https://www.ebay.com/itm/25493501241...MAAOSwm29gcFen

PTD-4
https://www.ebay.com/itm/25493500957...sAAOSwOd1gcFYC

PTD 1.2
https://www.ebay.com/itm/40350050921...wAAOSwnMVh8DB9
Old 02-26-22, 08:07 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Is there some reason why you don't want to just use the Snap-On torque wrench that you already own?

If you are set on buying one of the three listed, get the PTD 1.2 for it's ability to hit several (rather than just one) torque settings.
Old 02-26-22, 08:20 AM
Warbird21

I'm a tool junkie....no other reason.
I appreciate the input!

Originally Posted by Koyote
Is there some reason why you don't want to just use the Snap-On torque wrench that you already own?

If you are set on buying one of the three listed, get the PTD 1.2 for it's ability to hit several (rather than just one) torque settings.
Old 02-26-22, 09:21 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
I went with the adjustable one (PTD 1.2). Takes less room than having several fixed-torque ones, and its torque range covers most torque-sensitive stem and seatpost bolts.

It's quite precise, fast and easy to use.
Old 02-26-22, 10:03 AM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
Well, if you are a real 'tool junkie' ....Park tool will gladly 'make you well', they are always reliably overpriced ....or, you could take your snap-on apart and have it plated in gold
Old 02-26-22, 11:56 AM
Warbird21

Originally Posted by TPL
Well, if you are a real 'tool junkie' ....Park tool will gladly 'make you well', they are always reliably overpriced ....or, you could take your snap-on apart and have it plated in gold
The only problem with older Snap-On or other tools, is the measurement numbers can be hard to read. I need reading glasses to use that one.
Old 02-26-22, 09:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
Get a Snap-On Digital torque wrench. Snap-On is way better than Park. Park is decent for bike speciality tools but general tools their stuff is not tool ***** worthy. Plus an excuse to buy one of the nicest torque tools out there.

If you want smaller tool the CDI Torqcontrol tool is a great option and I honestly wish I had that over my old Park PTD 1 way more range and a nice tool over all. Plus CDI is owned by Snap-On which gives a better chance for quality.
https://www.bluetoad.com/publication...p=16&ver=html5

If you want digital but maybe not at the Snap-On price as they are quite expensive (though of excellent quality) the Topeak D-Torq wrench is a good option:
https://www.topeak.com/us/en/product...-D-TORQ-WRENCH
Old 02-26-22, 10:04 PM
Warbird21

Now you are enabling me!

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Get a Snap-On Digital torque wrench. Snap-On is way better than Park. Park is decent for bike speciality tools but general tools their stuff is not tool ***** worthy. Plus an excuse to buy one of the nicest torque tools out there.

If you want smaller tool the CDI Torqcontrol tool is a great option and I honestly wish I had that over my old Park PTD 1 way more range and a nice tool over all. Plus CDI is owned by Snap-On which gives a better chance for quality.
https://www.bluetoad.com/publication...p=16&ver=html5

If you want digital but maybe not at the Snap-On price as they are quite expensive (though of excellent quality) the Topeak D-Torq wrench is a good option:
https://www.topeak.com/us/en/product...-D-TORQ-WRENCH
Likes For Warbird21:
Old 02-26-22, 10:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by Warbird21
Now you are enabling me!
No I am not enabling you. Buy MORE tools. Why would you think that? Buy MORE tools! I mean it would be one thing if I said the correct number of tools to have is N+1 especially if it comes to Snap-On but I didn't say that the correct number of tools to have is N+1 especially if it comes to Snap-On. That is just simply ridiculous (buy more tools). I mean to even think that I would ever encourage anyone to buy more tools is absolutely wrong in every sense of the word. nobody should BUY MORE TOOLS or should even say BUY MORE TOOLS.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-28-22, 12:29 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I have two beam type torque wrenches, the small one is Park, the larger one for cassettes, BB's etc, is Craftsman. They both absolutely work.

I have the original Ritchey Torqkey - one bit, 5nm. I've modified it to allow me to use other size bits but the torque remains the same. I have fudged with it - if I need 4nm, I don't quite tighten to the click. If it's 6nm, I make it just a bit tighter. Or I just use 5nm for anything between 4 and 6. Other than that, I just use the beam wrenches.

BUT, like OP, I do like adding to my tool box and will probably buy an adjustable click type low torque tool just because the beam wrench is difficult to use in a position where it's readable sometimes. This year I've already added a good truing stand (gifted to me), a tensionometer, a bladed spoke holder, a set of thru axle adapters for the truing stand, a disc brake rotor truing fork and a digital tire inflator for my compressor. Some - maybe most? - of these tools can be easily worked around, but I gotta buy something every year of I'll die.
Old 02-28-22, 06:02 AM
Warbird21

Originally Posted by Camilo
Some - maybe most? - of these tools can be easily worked around, but I gotta buy something every year of I'll die.
I totally get that!
Old 02-28-22, 07:47 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I wouldn't get any of those to be honest. I want a TR that can do it all. So a adjustable one is the way to go IMO. I have a bike hand version that is nice, not park but still gets the job done.
Old 02-28-22, 08:53 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
a bit off topic:
Tool junkie? Do you know Abbey Bike Tools?
I got the Crombie cassette tool. Dual sided, since I have Campagnolo and Shimano wheels.

I can leave the quick release on the wheel, the tool fits over it. It has precise, deep splines, so it doesn't slip. I now know how hard to pull the handle to get a reasonable torque, no torque wrench needed.
This tool is sooo much better than my tiny Park Tool cassette tool, that needed a 1 inch socket wrench and had to be held down by reattaching the quick release over the tool. Annoying.
Old 02-28-22, 09:23 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I just showed up to find out what new tools I should be buying. Im also a tool junkie.
Old 02-28-22, 11:22 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Gremlin
I went with the adjustable one (PTD 1.2). Takes less room than having several fixed-torque ones, and its torque range covers most torque-sensitive stem and seatpost bolts.

It's quite precise, fast and easy to use.
This is my choice also, it is really handy. and as to why to use this rather ant a ratchet handle torque wrench (which I have) it is super easy and convenient and covers 90% of my torque needs. I break out the bigger one for higher nanonmeters, like cassete lock rings

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-28-22, 01:13 PM
PBC peugeot

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh international, 1975 Raleigh professional, 1978 ALAN criterium, 1981 Pinnarello Traviso

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
the answer to your question is NO

there are MUCH better torque wrenches than Park
Likes For PBC peugeot:
Old 02-28-22, 06:24 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I have 3 older micrometer click torque wrenches. Until recently I never checked how accurate they were.

While those seem convenient, I’m not sure of long term use or after a few drops.

John