Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Indoor bicycle trainer help ?

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-22, 04:45 AM
HanzoPuff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi!
I have an old slightly bonked bicycle, and i was wondering if its possible to use with an indoor bike trainer?
The break pads on it were bent to the point they would dig into the wheel and stop the wheel entirely. But if i take them off, the wheel rolls just fine. Would it be possible to use it for an indoor trainer instead of throwing it away?
Old 03-31-22, 06:15 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by HanzoPuff
Hi!
I have an old slightly bonked bicycle, and i was wondering if its possible to use with an indoor bike trainer?
The break pads on it were bent to the point they would dig into the wheel and stop the wheel entirely. But if i take them off, the wheel rolls just fine. Would it be possible to use it for an indoor trainer instead of throwing it away?
As long as the gears work, and the frame/bars/saddle is comfortable, you can take the brake pads off and mount it on your indoor trainer.
I've yet to need the brakes on mine.
Old 03-31-22, 11:06 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Most smart trainers warn riders NOT to use brakes on the rear drive wheel so taking those off would be recommended. Your front wheel never moves so no brakes required there either. Great option for a dedicated trainer bike and will save you a trip to the dump.
Old 03-31-22, 01:28 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Most smart trainers warn riders NOT to use brakes on the rear drive wheel so taking those off would be recommended. Your front wheel never moves so no brakes required there either. Great option for a dedicated trainer bike and will save you a trip to the dump.
aren't smart trainers that use the rear wheel driven by the wheel? if so, what the cautionary note about not breaking?
Old 03-31-22, 06:17 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Can't give you the mechanics behind the statement but it's written right in the user's guide. See the explanation here
Old 04-01-22, 07:19 AM
spelger

i really don't get their explanation. the conditions they describe are not much different from braking while descending.

only once did i brake while on the trainer. it was when i started Rouvy and came up to a round-a-bout with a car next to me and a pedestrian starting to cross. i braked for him then realized i didn't need to do that. got me laughing for sure.
Old 04-01-22, 10:57 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
I've got too many indoor solutions in my basement. Dumb trainer w/ mag flywheel, kreiter rollers, a wahoo smartie w/ a pretty fat flywheel. There is no flywheel on any *bike* trainer that weighs enough to matter in this context. Those directions seem pretty silly to me.
Old 04-01-22, 11:37 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Can't give you the mechanics behind the statement but it's written right in the user's guide. See the explanation here
This seems to only apply to wheel-on smart trainers.
Old 04-02-22, 06:16 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
On wheel-off trainers the brake pads would be hitting air. I don't see why you would brake a wheel-on trainer though, but I don't really see the harm in it either. Other than you would wear the tire slowing down the flywheel.
Old 04-02-22, 10:02 AM
gthomson

The other thing is if you are riding a wheel on trainer and your chugging along at a good cadence and suddenly put on the back brake, that roller will continue to spin at the cadence you were riding which will be rubbing into the tire. Not sure how much damage that could cause, but probably the reason the manufacturers recommend not to do it.
Old 04-02-22, 10:19 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

The other thing is if you are riding a wheel on trainer and your chugging along at a good cadence and suddenly put on the back brake, that roller will continue to spin at the cadence you were riding which will be rubbing into the tire. Not sure how much damage that could cause, but probably the reason the manufacturers recommend not to do it.
Do you skid every time you apply the back brake on the road?
Old 04-02-22, 03:57 PM
spelger

you really have to hit the brakes hard for that.
Likes For spelger:
Old 04-02-22, 05:47 PM
gthomson

Originally Posted by caloso
Do you skid every time you apply the back brake on the road?
If I pulled the brake hard enough I would! but I don't. Not since I was a kid riding a banana seat bike with coaster breaks.
Likes For gthomson:
Old 04-02-22, 08:55 PM
caloso

If I pulled the brake hard enough I would! but I don't. Not since I was a kid riding a banana seat bike with coaster breaks.
Exactly..