Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling event this weekend: which distance should I sign up for?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Which event distance should I sign up for (read below)
75km with 600m of elevation
23.53%
105km with 1000m of elevation
76.47%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-22, 02:15 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts

Hello all,

I am planning to sign up, on a whim, for a cycling event here in Belgium this weekend. Some background info:

- I was in reasonably good shape last fall. Did some serious rides in the French Pyrenees (90km per day, 1600m altitude), and some 100km/day rides on a 5-day touring trip.
- I took 3 months off the bike completely this winter
- I just started cycling again 9 weeks ago, with some illness in the middle. Been averaging 90km per week since then, half of which is commuting, half of which steady interval rides on Zwift (avg ride 35km on Zwift - 1 hour long rides).

The event has 2 options I am considering: 75km with 600m of elevation OR 105km with 1000m of elevation.

What should I sign up for based on my current training level? Since I have just again started training after winter, only short rides, the longer distance and elevation seems scary. Should my base fitness level from last year carry me through the longer distance? Then again, it is nice to challenge yourself sometimes and feel sense of accomplishment.

What would you sign up for if you were me?

Thanks!

Last edited by maartendc; 04-12-22 at 02:18 AM.
Old 04-12-22, 03:53 AM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
Always the bigger one that feels like pushing it. You will make it.
Likes For yaw:
Old 04-12-22, 05:47 AM
noimagination

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
Since I have just again started training after winter, only short rides, the longer distance and elevation seems scary. Should my base fitness level from last year carry me through the longer distance? Then again, it is nice to challenge yourself sometimes and feel sense of accomplishment.

What would you sign up for if you were me?
You should have enough experience to know if you have the gearing and the fitness to survive the climbing. Otherwise, I think it would depend on what type of "scary" you're feeling. The kind that is exciting and sharpens your anticipation of the ride? Or, the kind that makes you feel as if you have a lead ball in your stomach?
Likes For noimagination:
Old 04-12-22, 08:24 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
Only you can know the answer! Personally, I'd go with the shorter one. You most likely lost cardio and strength over the winter. We all do, except those Zwift freaks who ride even more during winter!!
Likes For eduskator:
Old 04-12-22, 11:29 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
The question is, actually, "what do you have to do the next day?"
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 04-12-22, 11:52 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 364 Posts
I think you can do either one you want from your description. However there are several data points we don't have. such as,
1) how old are you?
2) how is your general health
3) how much do you weigh and how does that compare to when you did the Pyranees rides last year
4) did you stay active otherwise during those 3 months off
5) how long have you been a cyclist (you come back quicker when you have years of base)
6) what is your power and perceived exertion on those one hour Zwift rides. Intense short workouts can do more to improve your endurance than many people think. If you've trained your FTP to a high level on shorter workouts, you can ride your long ride at pace well below FTP and do well.

If you're not old, have some history as a cyclist, and are in general good health, you definitely can do the long option.

Whether you should depends on what you want out of the ride. Do you want something that will challenge you, or do you just want to have fun; If any friends are doing the ride, what length are they signing up for; are you using this to build for another event, which route is prettier, more fun, do you need to do anything else that day?
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 04-12-22, 01:07 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
whichever route has more opportunities for frites. are you racing? no? then does it matter? you'll be fine. 30Km isn't that much different, but those extra 400m climbing might hurt a little. Take your time, stop for frites, have fun --
Likes For superdex:
Old 04-12-22, 02:02 PM
maartendc

thanks for all the responses so far!

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I think you can do either one you want from your description. However there are several data points we don't have. such as,
1) how old are you?
2) how is your general health
3) how much do you weigh and how does that compare to when you did the Pyranees rides last year
4) did you stay active otherwise during those 3 months off
5) how long have you been a cyclist (you come back quicker when you have years of base)
6) what is your power and perceived exertion on those one hour Zwift rides. Intense short workouts can do more to improve your endurance than many people think. If you've trained your FTP to a high level on shorter workouts, you can ride your long ride at pace well below FTP and do well.

If you're not old, have some history as a cyclist, and are in general good health, you definitely can do the long option.

Whether you should depends on what you want out of the ride. Do you want something that will challenge you, or do you just want to have fun; If any friends are doing the ride, what length are they signing up for; are you using this to build for another event, which route is prettier, more fun, do you need to do anything else that day?
Thanks for the response, this is good advice.

- I am 35
- General health Ok
- Weight about 67kg, about the same as last year I would say.
- I do have a pretty active lifestyle, cycling to the shops and such, and go for some hikes once in a while over the winter.
- Been cycling regularly on and off for about 10 years, so pretty solid base.
- Haven't really been hammering too hard on Zwift honestly. I guess it will have helped somewhat. You are absolutely right, they can help a lot to improve overall fitness and endurance when done right.

Dont really have any major plans the rest of the weekend, but it is a longish train ride home which sucks when exhausted.

I will mull it over some, thanks for the advice!
Old 04-12-22, 08:02 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
65mi ride with 3000' of climb? Yeah, I think you can handle that as it's about 45'/mi. It might be tough depending on how the climbing comes(rollers or steep, etc), but based on averaging 55mi/week for 9 weeks, for sure go that route.
Old 04-13-22, 07:38 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
................................I will mull it over some, thanks for the advice!
I went into the LBS and heard about a ride that a group of guys were going to do. Remembering the days when I enjoyed climbing and distances I decided on a whim to give it a go. I had 3 weeks to somewhat prepare for the Six Gap Century, 103 miles, 11,000' climbing. I had lived in SW FL for 30 years where a typical 100 miler has 80' to 110' elevation and wanted a do or die challenge so popped on a 12/28 with the 39/53 and had a blast. Age was early 60's.

Go LONG or STAY HOME you got it made
Old 04-15-22, 02:17 AM
maartendc

Thanks for all the feedback!

Turns out I will be cycling with a friend of mine who hasn't ridden a road bike much in the past year or two, so we will be doing the 75 km.

This is what the elevation profile is looking like, so I am sure it will be a challenge nonetheless haha.

I am looking forward to get some solid training done this spring and challenge myself later on this spring / summer with some longer distances! Thanks all.
Likes For maartendc:
Old 04-15-22, 04:00 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
75km will be plenty challenging with your current base. Good decision to go with your friend.
Likes For GhostRider62: