Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Sleep Pad Recommendations

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-22-22, 10:38 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts

I've done a BF search and found scant information specific to specific sleeping pads. I've used a blow up pad (Big Agnes) and a self inflating pad (Therm-a-Rest) and both have failed eventually. I do take care not to be abusive but never-the-less, the Big Agnes sprung a leak and the Therm-a-Rest delaminated and developed lumpy bubbles. They both honored their warranties but that didn't help the nights until the trip was over.

I'm considering trying a closed cell foam pad solo for warm/hot weather trips and the foam pad with a self inflating pad for cooler/cold weather trips. I know I'm giving up some comfort and they're bulky, but dependability and indestructability is important too. Does anyone use a closed cell foam pad that you're happy with? REI has their annual Anniversary Sale going on and they carry Therm-a-Rest, Nemo and Exped pads so I'll get there this week. A Google search showed a few brands I'm not familiar with, other than Ozark Trail, but they looked just like the Therm-a-Rest Z-Lite or they are roll-ups which I don't want. I'd rather spend a few bucks more to get quality.

I saw a post here on BF from 2021 where someone used two stacked Nemo Switchbacks, but no other real specific use comments or threads. I'd prefer a wide pad as I'm not the thinnest guy around (5' 11"/200 lbs.) and I'm a side sleeper. Exped makes the only one I've seen that goes to 25" wide.

Any constructive comments would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 05-23-22, 04:32 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
I value comfort 1st, packability 2nd, durability and weight 3rd. That being said, I have two Thermarest Neo Air mattresses in size Large that I have been very pleased with for many years now. Neither have required any repair or replacement but I always carry a patch kit just in case...... and now that I have stated this publicly, I'm sure to need it next time out.
Likes For robow:
Old 05-23-22, 05:19 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Most of my self inflating pads and air mattresses were bought at REI scratch and dent sales with leaks. At home when I find the leak point, a tiny dab of Seam Grip works great. If it is a larger hole, I use the Seam Grip to glue on a small bit of nylon as a patch.

And if I get a leak on a trip, I discovered that self adhesive inner tube patches work great, photo of one of my air mattresses with the new patch. Later at home I peeled off the patch and used Seam Grip to do a proper repair. I now make sure I bring a few self adhesive patches on all my trips including backpacking, canoe, and kayak trips.

I made the mistake once of using something other than Seam Grip, the permanent patch became a temporary one on a trip.

So, when you take your self inflating pad on your colder trips, I suggest you have some patches along.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 05-23-22, 05:28 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I am a side sleeper and in the past used an old therma rest on top on half length closed cell pad and always inside a tent. I have hundreds of nights on that setup. Now, I use a Neo Air in large but only about 20 night on it, so, I cannot say if it is reliable although much more comfy than my older and heavier two pad deal. I carry Park stick on tube patches just in case but so far, not had to use them.
Old 05-23-22, 07:23 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
mak, get thee to a nunnery, and then to a good outdoor store where you can actually open and lie down on closed cell mats.
this is the only way for you to get an idea of which one feels better for you, cuz this is all about what will work best for you.

from what you say, closed cell mats are really your only option as you don't have to be careful with them.
Likes For djb:
Old 05-23-22, 07:33 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I am a side sleeper and in the past used an old therma rest on top on half length closed cell pad and always inside a tent. I have hundreds of nights on that setup. Now, I use a Neo Air in large but only about 20 night on it, so, I cannot say if it is reliable although much more comfy than my older and heavier two pad deal. I carry Park stick on tube patches just in case but so far, not had to use them.
FWIW, by now I have many nights on both the older self inflating models and on the Neoair. Certainly plenty to make some conclusions about reliability. Any way. I have had better luck with the neoair in that regard. The few caveats are that I used the self inflating models in my younger years. I probably used the neoair more in the west and the self inflating more in the east. I don't think I have become more careful with my gear, in fact I have abandoned using ground sheets having used heavy duty ones in the old days.

All of the old self inflating ones of mine or family members seemed to have patches and some had holes at the seam where they were difficult or impossible to patch. I only recall ever patching a neoair once and my current one has no patches. I did have the problem where a big blister formed from sleeping on it with bare skin against it (body oils, sunscreen, DEET?). That one did have a single patch if memory serves. It was replaced under warranty for the blister (while still usable). I started sleeping with a tech tee on after that which also stopped the noisy sleeping according to tent mates.

I would have expected the opposite. The self inflating models seem heavier duty. Maybe I have just been really lucky with the neoair, but it has been an awful lot of use for luck to hold out.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 05-23-22, 10:31 AM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
I have holes in both my Thermarest Neo Air pads. It has been easy to find the holes and patch them. To me the comfort is worth it, just like I'd rather deal with the occasional tube/tubeless puncture than ride solid tires.

I tried one backpacking trip with a closed cell pad and vowed never again to make that mistake
Likes For niknak:
Old 05-23-22, 11:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,300 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by niknak
I have holes in both my Thermarest Neo Air pads. It has been easy to find the holes and patch them.
I recently got a leak in my Sea to Summit mattress, which I love. It's a very, very slow leak. A few days before before my tour this past weekend I put a good amount of water in my bathtub and tried to find it. Couldn't. Not one air bubble. I think it only loses air when subjected to the weight of my body. I had to put a few breaths in it one night this weekend after several hour of sleeping on it. REI is having another 20% off sale right now. I think I am just going to suck it up and buy a new one.
Old 05-23-22, 11:50 AM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
I use a military issue Therm-a-Rest Self inflating pad as my base pad and a cheep Amazon blow up pad ontop of that. If both pads should fail, at least the Therm-a-Rest is foam so will offer both protection from the lumpy ground, and some insulation without having air.
Old 05-23-22, 12:08 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I recently got a leak in my Sea to Summit mattress, which I love. It's a very, very slow leak. A few days before before my tour this past weekend I put a good amount of water in my bathtub and tried to find it. Couldn't. Not one air bubble. I think it only loses air when subjected to the weight of my body. I had to put a few breaths in it one night this weekend after several hour of sleeping on it. REI is having another 20% off sale right now. I think I am just going to suck it up and buy a new one.
I had a very slow leak that was hard to find. The way I found it, I inflated the self inflating pad and sat on one end of it, that provided the weight for pressure. And used a sponge with soapy water to go over it to find the leak. The soap makes the bubbles easier to see. It was hard to see but did it slowly and found it.

I had a mindless tv show playing in the background that I was going to watch anyway, thus the time served two purposes.
Old 05-23-22, 01:44 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
It’s been awhile since I camped/toured but every inflatable I’ve had eventually leaked so the combo that worked the best has been 3/4 length 1” inflatable on top of folding z rest camp pad. The inflatable only went on the camp pad and the camp pad was ready to toss down for any use.
Old 05-23-22, 01:55 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
I've used Z-rest and Ridgerest pads for over 25 years, after my first inflatable failed on a long trip. Reliability, low cost, and low futz-factor are high on my criteria list. In winter I add a layer of Reflectix duct insulation.

On my first trips in the 70s, I'd never heard of a sleeping pad, so anything is a luxury compared to that. After a normal day of cycling or backpacking, I can sleep well on almost anything except concrete or stones.
Old 05-23-22, 01:56 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I had a very slow leak that was hard to find. The way I found it, I inflated the self inflating pad and sat on one end of it, that provided the weight for pressure. And used a sponge with soapy water to go over it to find the leak. The soap makes the bubbles easier to see. It was hard to see but did it slowly and found it.
I was thinking of doing something like that. Maybe 15 years ago a tire place sprayed a tire of mine with soapy water trying to find the source of a flat. Turned out to be a problem with the valve stem. Thing is, I am hoping o go away in less than two weeks. Not sure I am going to find the time to go that route before I need to order a new one.
Old 05-23-22, 02:09 PM
Tourist in MSN

... Not sure I am going to find the time to go that route before I need to order a new one.
REI Anniversary Sale on now.
Old 05-23-22, 02:39 PM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
In winter I add a layer of Reflectix duct insulation.
That sounds like a great way to add some extra warmth to a pad for cold weather. I think I recall that a piece to fit under my neoair (72x20) was about 8 ounces and obviously a 3/4 length piece would be less. It is pretty cheap compared to buying another pad in most cases.
Old 05-23-22, 02:44 PM
staehpj1

Did you get in the tub and kneel on it? That ought to do the trick for most slow leaks..
Old 05-23-22, 03:39 PM
cassel

Bikes: Opus Counterpoint(1986), Guerciotti Jet(1983), Bob Jackson(1972), Atala Pro(1973?)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
+1 on Thermarest Neo. Been using them for 25 years I think. Great comfort as both a side and back sleeper.

Last edited by cassel; 05-23-22 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Corrected for readability
Old 05-23-22, 04:31 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by staehpj1
Did you get in the tub and kneel on it? That ought to do the trick for most slow leaks..
Good idea. My tub in not full size, but maybe I値l try standing on it.
Old 05-23-22, 04:38 PM
staehpj1

Good idea. My tub in not full size, but maybe I値l try standing on it.
Yeah, just be careful not to over do and pop it. I have had good luck kneeling on other inflatable stuff including self inflating pads in the tub to find slow leaks.
Old 05-23-22, 06:19 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
I have a Sea to Summit inflatable. It takes me about 7 full breaths to inflate. It packs up into its own stuff sack and is about as big as a 12 oz beer can. I have been happy with its performance.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 05-23-22, 07:54 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by staehpj1
Yeah, just be careful not to over do and pop it. I have had good luck kneeling on other inflatable stuff including self inflating pads in the tub to find slow leaks.
Maybe I値l sit on the edge of the tub ledge and press down with my feet.to keep my full weight off of it. That could be a good middle ground.
Old 05-24-22, 07:16 AM
Mrpotamus

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As you can probably tell from many of the responses, the Therma Rest Neo Air is the way to go. After screwing around with other pads trying to save a buck, i bought the Neo Air I should have purchased the first time. I spent far more money in the process. Bring a patch kit and you will be fine. The closed cell pads are fine for adding insulation on cold trips, but they don't pack well on a bike. A lot of people strap them to the top of their rear rack between their paniers, but that is about the only place they fit. If you are using frame bags, forget about it.
Old 05-25-22, 01:30 PM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Whilst I currently utilise a Sea To Summit Ultralight Insulated inflatable mat, and its super durable, I recently spent just over a year on one, residing in a campground in a Macpac Minaret tent, I can still remember the superior comfort offered up by my Exped Synmat 7
Exped seemed to go through some delamination issues some years back with multiple reports of mat failures, whilst people were on tour, in a local touring forum.
Having already utilised my Exped for a couple of extended tours, I was paranoid about the potential for catastrophic failure whilst out touring the back blocks of Western Australia.
I replaced it with the Sea2Summit mat whose durability is now for me unquestionable, but is no where, in my eyes, as comfort offering as my memory suggests the Synmat7 was.
Ive found myself too often awakened off the mat to be a true fan of my S2S mat, but after years of service, I sincerely appreciate it痴 longevity.
If it makes any difference, I知 a side sleeper.
I知 too old and soft now to consider a closed cell mat.
Old 05-25-22, 01:43 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Back in the day all of my sleep pads eventually ended up being just for ground insulation. Closed foam being the best as it can also be a flotation device.

For sleeping comfort I think the hammock is best even though they can be difficult to set up.

I am one of those guys who stays up till he cant so I have always been able to sleep anywhere, lying down, sitting, or even standing. In the Field (before we called it Down Range) sleep was always a true luxury...

I would suggest getting a closed foam military sleeping pad (for insulation) and learn how to effectively use a camp hammock (not a small chore) for sleep...
Old 05-25-22, 05:40 PM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
More than a few people swear by looking for escaping air bubbles in warm water as opposed to cold .
Forum member Aushiker (Andrew) being one if memory serves.
Good luck

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.