Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.2

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.2

Old 05-25-22, 03:12 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Yes, it downloads from Strava and as far as I can tell the VO2max estimate has nothing to do with HRV.
Ah, okay. Interesting to learn that that level of HR data is collected by Garmin/Wahoo/Whatever and that Strava maintains that integrity.

Are you a Garmin user? I wonder how the VO2Max estimates compare.
Old 05-25-22, 03:22 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22512 Post(s)
Liked 8,840 Times in 4,113 Posts
Interesting gizmo, but not as interesting as a lactate meter. However, that's a deep hole off the cave of pointless geekiness I'm already in and I don't like finger sticks.
Agree.

What I have noticed is that an easy paced ride (say Z2-3) causes my sugar to go down into a good zone (about 100-ish) and stay there, while a harder ride (Z3-4 with occasional anaerobic bursts) causes my sugar to spike to 150-ish (because adrenaline) for an hour or so, and then it gradually works its way down to 100-ish. I did a 90 mile really hard ride and did not have any low sugar concerns, although I ate reasonably well for it.

Maybe I am too skeptical, but I believe these units are GREAT for folks with diabetes (especially with T1DM and when the sensor is integrated with an insulin pump) to track what actions raise and don't raise their sugars, but for an athlete I don't see much use.
Old 05-25-22, 03:23 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10103 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Ah, okay. Interesting to learn that that level of HR data is collected by Garmin/Wahoo/Whatever and that Strava maintains that integrity.

Are you a Garmin user? I wonder how the VO2Max estimates compare.
I am, but my Garmin watch doesn't provide fitness measures.

The simplest estimation technique is HRmax/HRrest x 15.3. That gives me a VO2max of 53.
Old 05-25-22, 03:43 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by datlas
Agree.

What I have noticed is that an easy paced ride (say Z2-3) causes my sugar to go down into a good zone (about 100-ish) and stay there, while a harder ride (Z3-4 with occasional anaerobic bursts) causes my sugar to spike to 150-ish (because adrenaline) for an hour or so, and then it gradually works its way down to 100-ish. I did a 90 mile really hard ride and did not have any low sugar concerns, although I ate reasonably well for it.

Maybe I am too skeptical, but I believe these units are GREAT for folks with diabetes (especially with T1DM and when the sensor is integrated with an insulin pump) to track what actions raise and don't raise their sugars, but for an athlete I don't see much use.
So, ignorant question here: Given the ability of brain, skeletal, and cardiac muscle to metabolize lactate and ketones, which are abundant during prolonged exercise, would a somewhat low glucose even be a concern?

Also, are you finding it effective at other times to blunt the highs? My brother has mild T2DM, which he's controlling with diet and exercise, and maybe should have one.
Old 05-25-22, 03:48 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

So, ignorant question here: Given the ability of brain, skeletal, and cardiac muscle to metabolize lactate and ketones, which are abundant during prolonged exercise, would a somewhat low glucose even be a concern?

Also, are you finding it effective at other times to blunt the highs? My brother has mild T2DM, which he's controlling with diet and exercise, and maybe should have one.
I suspect that our homeostatic mechanisms keep sugar reasonably well controlled, but I also suspect that after several hours of hard work and inadequate calorie intake, when one is bonking or on the verge of it, sugar may dip. That is my best guess about what this might actually be useful for.

I have IFG (pre-diabetes) and I notice that if I have a naughty snack between meals (like that donut I had last Tuesday), my sugar really spikes (up to about 180) for an hour. So I think it could be very helpful as a feedback device to discourage such naughtiness, in a person who is motivated. Again, most useful for T1DM for insulin dosing etc. That's my sense.
Old 05-25-22, 03:59 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by datlas
I suspect that our homeostatic mechanisms keep sugar reasonably well controlled, but I also suspect that after several hours of hard work and inadequate calorie intake, when one is bonking or on the verge of it, sugar may dip. That is my best guess about what this might actually be useful for.

I have IFG (pre-diabetes) and I notice that if I have a naughty snack between meals (like that donut I had last Tuesday), my sugar really spikes (up to about 180) for an hour. So I think it could be very helpful as a feedback device to discourage such naughtiness, in a person who is motivated. Again, most useful for T1DM for insulin dosing etc. That's my sense.
Yeah, obviously a huge thing in IDDM
Old 05-25-22, 04:05 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
My sympathies - I love onion and garlic. Are we talking indigestion or similar ailments? It seems odd that it would affect both of you.
FODMAPs. So... well you can infer. There's lots we can do - salt and pepper and all sorts of heat. But prefab seasoning is out.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-25-22, 04:18 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 386 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Sadly, onion and garlic now do bad things to my stomach (and AG's) and that wipes out essentially all pre-made sauces and spice mixes. Fortunately, Buc'ees sells good huge salads and you can buy chicken and cheese to put on top. Better food than you can get at any other place for a restricted diet. Of course, they also have more interesting fare for those who can partake.
My condolences. I know the feeling. Onions, unless extremely thoroughly cooked, don't agree with my stomach anymore. I can still eat garlic though.
Likes For gnome:
Old 05-25-22, 05:00 PM
MoAlpha
• —

I have the FODMAP thing too, but to whatever degree I have it, it’s worth eating the stuff except in the most extreme cases.
Old 05-25-22, 05:07 PM
WhyFi

In the last couple of years, I switched to oat milk, from cow milk, in my morning lattes. In doing so, I discovered that the, uh, coffee effect was actually a dairy effect. While this has been a welcome discovery, I must admit that it makes my morning weigh-in a little less streamlined.
Old 05-25-22, 05:25 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,842 Times in 4,390 Posts
Spice is the variety of life.
I worked with a guy who brought home made salsa every day and he always had enough to share. He experimented with different chilis and other ingredients and he was really good at it. He was not a mechanic but he got his car taken care of.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-25-22, 05:32 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts
In the last couple of years, I switched to oat milk, from cow milk, in my morning lattes. In doing so, I discovered that the, uh, coffee effect was actually a dairy effect. While this has been a welcome discovery, I must admit that it makes my morning weigh-in a little less streamlined.
See, now, I avoid this by never putting milk in coffee, which should be...

Black as Night,
Hot as Hell,
Strong as Love,
and
Pure as an angel's kiss.

At least, so my Dad used to say.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-25-22, 05:48 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Weird - strong black coffee has "the effect" for me. Dairy is fine, but I come from literally centuries, at minimum, of actual dairy farmers.
Old 05-25-22, 05:49 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

I have the FODMAP thing too, but to whatever degree I have it, it’s worth eating the stuff except in the most extreme cases.
The problem is for us it's not just bathroom issues - it's immediate bloating and cramping.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-25-22, 05:59 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by genejockey
See, now, I avoid this by never putting milk in coffee, which should be...

Black as Night,
Hot as Hell,
Strong as Love,
and
Pure as an angel's kiss.

At least, so my Dad used to say.
Did your dad drink espresso?
Old 05-25-22, 06:00 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

I preach the low FODMAP diet to my IBS patients, but fortunately I can eat pretty much anything I want.
Old 05-25-22, 06:07 PM
WhyFi

Weird - strong black coffee has "the effect" for me. Dairy is fine, but I come from literally centuries, at minimum, of actual dairy farmers.
Dairy that's a little more processed, cheese, yogurt, ice cream, etc, might make me feel a little bloated when consumed in sufficient (relatively high) quantity, but only straight-up milk will result in the effect. Then again, the only time that I drink (drank) milk was with the morning latte, so maybe it was just a daily perfect storm - a circadian readiness paired with a dairy pat on the back.
Old 05-25-22, 06:09 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by big john
I worked with a guy who brought home made salsa every day and he always had enough to share. He experimented with different chilis and other ingredients and he was really good at it. He was not a mechanic but he got his car taken care of.
I was going to say, "I wish that I had friends like that," but I know brewers, so I'll just be happy to count my blessings.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-25-22, 06:17 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10892 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
I’ve been following FODMAP since 2019 and have a pretty good handle on what I can eat and what I can’t and onions and garlic are definitely a no-go for me. Breaded foods like chicken strips or tenderloins are bad, too, and dense breads like pizza crust, pita, bagels, etc. are problematic, too.

Like my gastro guy told me, “You can eat anything you want as long as you can stand the consequences.”

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 05-25-22, 06:37 PM
MoAlpha
• —

The problem is for us it's not just bathroom issues - it's immediate bloating and cramping.
That’s exactly what I get! I call it “blokey” the way the patients did at the old Boston City.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 05-25-22 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-25-22, 06:37 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28432 Post(s)
Liked 1,830 Times in 1,299 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
You people are argumentative. What happened to the kinder, gentler Addiction?
Remember when you used to post about ironing your laundry?
Old 05-25-22, 06:38 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Hey WhyFi , Intervals will now estimate your VO2max and mine agrees with HRV4training.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 05-25-22, 07:01 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8723 Post(s)
Liked 2,854 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Remember when you used to post about ironing your laundry?
no, but curiously I just finished ironing tomorrow's pants and shirt.

On a side note, I go to the cardiologist tomorrow for my anticoagulant monitoring. I hope to get an at home finger stick test kit. I'm going to look like a smack junkie if they keep tapping my veins every week. SM*H

At least I have my weather app with its superior accuracy to bring some sunshine into my otherwise s****y life.

#SmallVictories
Old 05-25-22, 07:20 PM
WhyFi

Hey WhyFi , Intervals will now estimate your VO2max and mine agrees with HRV4training.
I poked around and found it. Oof - harsh. I guess that I haven't been pushing it lately.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-25-22, 07:20 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,282 Times in 7,225 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS

On a side note, I go to the cardiologist tomorrow for my anticoagulant monitoring. I hope to get an at home finger stick test kit. I'm going to look like a smack junkie if they keep tapping my veins every week. SM*H
My last two INRs were an excellent 2.6. I’m supposed to be between 2 and 3.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.