Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What may annoy you when commuting?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-19, 03:12 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
Gee 174 posts so far and no one has mentioned thinking up the ultimate post while riding and then forgetting it by the time you get to a computer?
I don't suffer *that* annoyance one bit, because I type witty BF responses at high speed while weaving on my e-bike through strollers on the local bikeway.
Old 03-26-19, 03:20 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
After this discussion yesterday, I came across this in my morning paper.

Cyclist, 71, is killed in collision with another bicyclist in Lexington......
This sad tragedy occurred about a mile from my pad, still waiting for details. I love the Minuteman Bikeway, but riding it on a sunny weekend day with some of the jokers out there is like play Rushing Roulette.
Old 03-26-19, 03:37 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
I'm pretty sure none of the advice/instructions I've had yelled at me was *ever* correct

In practice, little falls into this category for me. I've spent years learning how to like things that others dislike -- makes things more fun for me. In all honesty, watching people getting their knickers in a twist over petty stuff is comic relief. Being subject to crap myself reminds me of how others react, so it's still kind of funny.

Some people are just knuckleheads. When push comes to shove, calling stupid people out on their stupidity doesn't make them smarter. Easier to figure out the easiest way through the situation and move on.

If this offends your sense of justice, keep in mind these folks run into others just like themselves all the time. As such, you are mathematically guaranteed that they'll dispense more justice/education on each other than you ever could. You won't get to see it, but you know it happens.
What offends me are people that see wrong and do nothing about it. There's an old saying that goes “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” That's an important philosophy for big things, but it also important for the little things as well.

The reason that most of us enjoy our cushy lives today is because of the sacrifice of the men and women of good conscience that came before us. They did the right thing when it was hard work, and didn't just walk away and trust that it would be fixed by fate. All we have to do now is maintain it. If you see something happening that you know is wrong, then you are that instrument of fate.

I can't tell you how to live your life, but as a man of good conscience I can't just look away or turn a blind eye. I am compelled to act. Whether that's for my sake or for the sake of those around me.
Old 03-26-19, 03:53 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
What offends me are people that see wrong and do nothing about it. There's an old saying that goes “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” That's an important philosophy for big things, but it also important for the little things as well.
But not for ALL the little things. A line has to be drawn somewhere, or nobody would ever be able to get anything done for all the righting injustice all day long. And everybody will draw that line in a different place.

People riding bikes on sidewalks, slowly, and with heightened vigilance to not inconvenience pedestrians, is way beyond where I draw the line.
Old 03-26-19, 04:21 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts

The reason that most of us enjoy our cushy lives today is because of the sacrifice of the men and women of good conscience that came before us. They did the right thing when it was hard work, and didn't just walk away and trust that it would be fixed by fate. All we have to do now is maintain it. If you see something happening that you know is wrong, then you are that instrument of fate.

I can't tell you how to live your life, but as a man of good conscience I can't just look away or turn a blind eye. I am compelled to act. Whether that's for my sake or for the sake of those around me.
Yelling at nitwits is more likely to provoke nitwits into a defensive position which doesn't make them any better. Frankly, just looking at them making it clear you don't have time to waste on morons like them is more likely to be effective. Most communication is nonverbal, so verbalizing is not a requirement for taking action or being effective.

Many people who do these things know exactly what they're doing, so rewarding them with the attention they seek is counterproductive. It's kind of like people who harass cyclists -- the whole point is the reaction, so the last thing you want to do is give them what they want. Plus it plays way better with witnesses. Makes it easier to transform consciousness in a good way and help everyone own the solution.
Old 03-26-19, 04:38 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts

I agree with this sentiment, and I don't think you are specifically referencing the original sidewalk incident, but other types of behavior.

If an Uber driver does something stupid, and I yell at him about it, he is at least going to think about it, and perhaps even modify his/her behavior. If I say nothing, he will keep doing that stupid thing until something happens...

But, again, I also agree with RubeRad that there has to be a reasonable threshold.
Old 03-27-19, 09:10 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
But not for ALL the little things. A line has to be drawn somewhere, or nobody would ever be able to get anything done for all the righting injustice all day long. And everybody will draw that line in a different place.

People riding bikes on sidewalks, slowly, and with heightened vigilance to not inconvenience pedestrians, is way beyond where I draw the line.
My feelings exactly. Its a unified effort. But together each one of us can do our parts.
Yelling at nitwits is more likely to provoke nitwits into a defensive position which doesn't make them any better. Frankly, just looking at them making it clear you don't have time to waste on morons like them is more likely to be effective. Most communication is nonverbal, so verbalizing is not a requirement for taking action or being effective.

Many people who do these things know exactly what they're doing, so rewarding them with the attention they seek is counterproductive. It's kind of like people who harass cyclists -- the whole point is the reaction, so the last thing you want to do is give them what they want. Plus it plays way better with witnesses. Makes it easier to transform consciousness in a good way and help everyone own the solution.
Who said anything about yelling at people? I remind them that there's a right way and a wrong that's acceptable for all of us. Something we all need to hear from each other from time to time. And most times, it needs to be said out loud to resonate.

For example, the other day there was a young man in the gym locker room on a video call with his girl. I reminded him that the men's locker room may not the most appropriate place for a call of that type. He was the only one that heard me, and no yelling ensued. That wasn't for me, but for the other unaware gentleman in the background getting dressed.

That said, there are times and situations for subtly, but that doesn't work on everyone. Some people will only respond to more aggressive means of verbal communication. But I leave that to the other guy, since I've never been very good at it.
Old 03-27-19, 09:38 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
But not for ALL the little things. A line has to be drawn somewhere, or nobody would ever be able to get anything done for all the righting injustice all day long.
This is what the world is becoming. Holier than thou people Tweeting all day about some minor infraction of what they perceive to be a standard in hopes of gaining social points from followers.

Its' all about 'look what I saw and commented on being wrong!'

This ends up being a contest of sorts to see who can be more offended than the last guy.

What you end up with is everyone complaining about everybody for everything.
Old 03-27-19, 10:50 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I don't think anybody has posted anything that would stop him or her from cycling. These are annoyances the OP asked and we complied.

And then we go on our merry way - at least most of us.
Old 03-27-19, 02:00 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
This is what the world is becoming. Holier than thou people Tweeting all day about some minor infraction of what they perceive to be a standard in hopes of gaining social points from followers.

Its' all about 'look what I saw and commented on being wrong!'

This ends up being a contest of sorts to see who can be more offended than the last guy.

What you end up with is everyone complaining about everybody for everything.
OK, so now you are complaining on social media about others complaining on social media. Where does this end?
Old 03-27-19, 02:04 PM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s

OK, so now you are complaining on social media about others complaining on social media. Where does this end?
when i complain loudly in public about someone complaining on social media about people complaining on social media, all while someone films it and posts it on social media
Old 03-27-19, 02:13 PM
Skipjacks

The irony is pretty thick, isn't it?

Last edited by Skipjacks; 03-27-19 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-27-19, 02:17 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
It may be time for the mods to step in here. Otherwise we could end up in a hopeless situation.
Old 03-27-19, 02:20 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

It may be time for the mods to step in here. Otherwise we could end up in a hopeless situation.
Arguably, we started in one
Old 03-27-19, 10:03 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikewolf
Commuting requires some tolerance, sure. But there are days!
E.g. a scooter idiot not looking when making a turn, crossing your path ... (sigh)

Anything you experienced while commuting that caused some frustration?
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I don't think anybody has posted anything that would stop him or her from cycling. These are annoyances the OP asked and we complied.

And then we go on our merry way - at least most of us.
+10
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
The OP posted such an open-ended question, that my best answer was nothing that would make me want to give up cycling, or too trite to enumerate, even after being hit by a car from behind
Old 03-28-19, 08:55 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
In all fairness, it should never be possible to hit a walker or a leashed dog. If you're that close, you're too close.
I'm not sure where you ride, but where I am, many dog leashes are significantly longer than the width of a MUP.
Old 03-28-19, 09:11 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by OBoile
I'm not sure where you ride, but where I am, many dog leashes are significantly longer than the width of a MUP.
True story.

20 foot leashes are not uncommon at all.

The MUP I ride most is about 15 feet at it's widest point, 3 feet at its most narrow.

Granted most of the dogs are in the 15 foot wide section, but 20 foot leashes are not uncommon AT ALL
Old 03-28-19, 09:29 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
In public the owner is responsible for his animal at all times and under any condition. I always remind dog owns of this. I would never just let it pass.
You might notice that the video has no sound ... yeah, I had some words, I wasn't exceptional proud of the R-rated content of my comments to the dog walker, so I opted to remove the audio from the video before posting it to YouTube.

If anybody takes the time to look through my YouTube channel (can't image why you would), you'll find all the swear words liberally applied in other videos. Bike-commuting was a great way to perfect the best utilization of profane words.
Old 03-28-19, 09:36 AM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
It's all good

Originally Posted by mjac

Anytime you ride in the street and do not get killed, it is a plus. I do not recommend it. If you can't commute using dedicated Bike Paths don't do it. It is not worth it. It only takes one Jackass and you are going to lose the battle with a 21/2 Ton Automobile. Stick to Bike Paths and Parks and ride safely and happily. The number of Ghost Funerals in this City alone is unbelievable. Their ain't nothing Romantic about it. You are Hurt or you are Dead and a Statistic that everyone will forget about.
That sounds pretty pessimistic. I've comutted for many years and found most people very courteous. Touring is generally on public roads as well and I'm still here. I've had a few brushes with cars cutting me off by turning right after just passing me and a few honks or engine revs when occupying a car lane momentarily for safety but bikes belong on the street and unless there's a safety factor I stay out of bike lanes. They can be more dangerous.
If you feel more safe, that's fine. They often have their place and a good reason for being there.
Old 03-28-19, 09:40 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Bike-commuting was a great way to perfect the best utilization of profane words.
Best.

Quote.

Ever.

It's so true!!!!
Old 03-28-19, 11:13 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

I actively avoid MUPs.

Cycling speeds aren't appropriate near peds, dogs, and kids. Joggers/walkers are guaranteed to suddenly turn and kids/dogs are guaranteed to suddenly dart out -- that's just what they do. This requires low enough speeds to respond to that.

I live in Portland where we have a number of MUPs. Cyclist treatment of peds here is abysmal as the vast majority pass way too close and way too fast. If I were a walker rather than a cyclist, I would hate cyclists.
Old 03-28-19, 11:56 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
I actively avoid MUPs.

Cycling speeds aren't appropriate near peds, dogs, and kids. Joggers/walkers are guaranteed to suddenly turn and kids/dogs are guaranteed to suddenly dart out -- that's just what they do. This requires low enough speeds to respond to that.

I live in Portland where we have a number of MUPs. Cyclist treatment of peds here is abysmal as the vast majority pass way too close and way too fast. If I were a walker rather than a cyclist, I would hate cyclists.
I disagree. MUPs aren't appropriate for aggressive group rides, but this is the commuter forum. They're fine for that.
Old 03-28-19, 12:22 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

I disagree. MUPs aren't appropriate for aggressive group rides, but this is the commuter forum. They're fine for that.
I actively avoid MUPs because I prefer a brisk pace, not because I don't think bikes belong. Peds/kids/dogs belong on MUPs and it is neither safe nor appropriate to ride near them at anything other than low speeds.
Old 03-28-19, 01:45 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
I actively avoid MUPs because I prefer a brisk pace, not because I don't think bikes belong. Peds/kids/dogs belong on MUPs and it is neither safe nor appropriate to ride near them at anything other than low speeds.
Based on riding in a number different cities around the US, I'm gonna say that MUPs are variable as a good place for a 'fast' bike. Even in my region, some MUPs are GREAT for biking fast and some MUPs are total crap.
Old 03-28-19, 02:10 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Not all MUPs are created equal. And even the same MUP can be a totally different place Monday at 730am than it is Saturday at 10am. Our local MUP, the American River Bike Trail, is a bike highway on weekday mornings where it's mostly commuters, people riding for fitness/training, and riders who are combining the two. On weekend mornings, it's a zoo and I will avoid it at all costs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.