Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

No Chamois?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

No Chamois?

Old 07-07-20, 08:21 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
No Chamois?

In the past few months I ventured out without chamois more than with chamois. The results are surprisingly the same or slightly better without chamois. Apparently I could do 20 - 60 miles without chamois on consecutive days (on gravel too) and my butt is just as sore as if I used chamois or not sore ...the results are basically inconclusive and made inherently more complicated to interpret because I ride 6 different bikes depending on occasion.

So this requires further experimenting...although now in the summer months it is more fun to ride to a swimming hole, jumping in, drying quickly and continuing the ride.

If anyone here rides without chamois I would be interested in some quality purchase links to tri-shorts or shorts that ride well on a bike without chamois.

Thanks. :-)
Old 07-07-20, 08:26 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
... this requires further experimenting...although now in the summer months it is more fun to ride to a swimming hole, jumping in, drying quickly and continuing the ride.
If any of your bikes have leather saddles, I would suggest you avoid riding with wet shorts unless you use a rain cover on the saddle.
Old 07-07-20, 08:32 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If any of your bikes have leather saddles, I would suggest you avoid riding with wet shorts unless you use a rain cover on the saddle.

I always use shorts that dry quick... i don't jump in the river, jump out and saddle up. ;-)

... yes some of my bikes DO use a leather saddle. 2 out of 6, 2 are Cambium, 1 is some racing plastic something and 1 is Surly's original saddle on their first ICT - eventually will replace this one in the future
Old 07-07-20, 11:45 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Old 07-07-20, 03:31 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
I only use my chamois shorts on day trips if the ride is over a metric century, and sometime even then I forget and that's pretty much okay. I just use swim trunks I find at my local clothing store. I also enjoy jumping in creeks in the mountains.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 07-07-20, 05:29 PM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
I've been using these Dakine un-padded baggy shorts for a couple of years now. I really enjoy the breeze coming up the loose fitting legs. Slightly stretchy fabric with an optional padded liner. They look long in the photo but when riding they land comfortably just above the knees.

Mr Johnson used to go numb riding in maxi-padded style tights. No longer! That said, I no longer take long tours due to health reasons so I can't speak to how they'd feel at distance. Un-padded shorts on a Brooks Cambium saddle ... I'm breaking all the tourist rules!
Old 07-07-20, 07:33 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 952 Times in 783 Posts
Hey Mr W, that's great that it works for you, I certainly see how it's handy to have a dip and dry out.
I think it's because I'm a skinny little bugger, but I've tried it but still find padded bike shorts are better for No Sore Donkey Syndrome-- and especially on gravel rides, where tire pressure makes a real difference too.
Old 07-07-20, 07:41 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I think I last wore shorts with a chamois 30 years ago (a very old pair). I've been choosing to let those chamoises live and use their synthetic replacements. (And no,I am not a saint. A whole bunch of geese died so I could sleep better.)
Old 07-07-20, 07:49 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 952 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I think I last wore shorts with a chamois 30 years ago (a very old pair). I've been choosing to let those chamoises live and use their synthetic replacements. (And no,I am not a saint. A whole bunch of geese died so I could sleep better.)
re geese comment"--- took me a minute to get it, but very well done.

someone gave me a pair of real chamois bike shorts once, don't remember who or when, but it was a hell of a long time ago and I remember how horrible and hard the chamois was putting on. I have no collections but I suspect I only used them once.
Old 07-08-20, 05:51 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I've never worn padded bike shorts of any kind. Just gym shorts and cotton blend underwear. On tours my bum doesn't seem to hurt more than anyone else's.

Never had a saddle sore either.

Synthetics materials are nicer than the old cotton gym shorts. They dry out more quickly and don't sponge pounds of water like the old cotton stuff did.
Old 07-08-20, 06:12 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I quit chamois and padded bike shorts a while ago. Moisture build up from reduced airflow down there caused more problems than it solved. I roll centuries and multiday 80+ miles in regular athletic poly/spandex underwear and regular athletic shorts. Not every pair of underwear and athletic shorts are the same but I found a pattern of each that I know will just work. Most of mine are from regular retail places like Walmart and tjmax like Russell brand. I do have a lightly padded gel seat but most of my riding is in gravel and it takes the edge off. The padding is outside my shorts and not trapping heat inside. If on road I'm sure any old fitting seat would be fine for me.

Last edited by u235; 07-08-20 at 06:17 AM.
Likes For u235:
Old 07-08-20, 06:52 AM
PedalingWalrus

This might be TMI but one thing I learned during this 'experimentation' is to avoid shorter baggy shorts (like the Patagonia Baggies) ...they tend to rise to a REVELATON and that is not the best way to say hello to someone on the trail ;-)
Old 07-08-20, 07:08 PM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
I usually don't wear padded shorts until the mileage is high, greater than 50. Lightweight nylon shorts and no underwear work for me.

Swimming, I usually don't wear anything, skin dries very fast.
Old 07-09-20, 12:01 PM
u235

Originally Posted by balto charlie
I usually don't wear padded shorts until the mileage is high, greater than 50. Lightweight nylon shorts and no underwear work for me.

Swimming, I usually don't wear anything, skin dries very fast.
I saw an older dude on a beach cruiser with no underwear and loose shorts, I saw way too much and I can't unsee that. Wouldn't surprise me if someone called the police. It was on the W&OD in the DC area, you ride there?

Last edited by u235; 07-09-20 at 12:05 PM.
Likes For u235:
Old 07-09-20, 03:52 PM
PedalingWalrus

LOL

it wasn’t me. I detected the potential situation early enough 😀

plus I live in Maine...everything shrinks here

Originally Posted by u235
I saw an older dude on a beach cruiser with no underwear and loose shorts, I saw way too much and I can't unsee that. Wouldn't surprise me if someone called the police. It was on the W&OD in the DC area, you ride there?
Likes For PedalingWalrus:
Old 07-09-20, 05:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
3. with synthetic Chamois rotated, wear- wash- dry, to always have a clean pair on every morning, was how I rolled, on my cycle tours..

NB .. there is a difference between 'Lined' and "padded" ..
Old 07-09-20, 06:20 PM
balto charlie

Originally Posted by u235
, you caught me. I do bike there on occasion; however I am very discrete, the shorts are long, and to the knee.

Skinny dipping: I am extremely discrete, our country tends to blush over nudity.
Old 07-09-20, 06:25 PM
balto charlie

Sometimes, when I am feeling modest, I wear these on tours.
https://www.modernbike.com/andiamo-m...rt-liner-black
Extremely lightweight, lightly padded and wash/dry easily. They are not your typical padded shorts/underwear.
Old 07-09-20, 06:31 PM
PedalingWalrus

Thanks for the tip. I will try a pair

Extremely lightweight, lightly padded and wash/dry easily. They are not your typical padded shorts/underwear.
Likes For PedalingWalrus:
Old 07-13-20, 10:52 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I like these for longer rides with touring/cargo shorts. Andiamo's don't bunch up/ride up like regular underwear. OTOH a swim suit is very light to take along,
Old 07-14-20, 07:38 PM
balto charlie

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
OTOH a swim suit is very light to take along,
True, but it ain't about the weight. It's all about the feeling of nothing. Way better than the feeling of wet swim trunks. What can I say.
Old 07-16-20, 08:43 PM
u235

True, but it ain't about the weight. It's all about the feeling of nothing. Way better than the feeling of wet swim trunks. What can I say.
Not knocking the swimming naked part
That being said, wet swim trunks or anything else mainly poly based should dry within 10 minutes riding on the bike.
Old 07-17-20, 08:54 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Shame on ya. 🤪😁 I just grabbed an REI down bag at an REI a couple days ago, because I was right by an REI, and that’s a pretty rare thing, for me, apparently. 🤔