Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is half wheeling dangerous?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is half wheeling dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-21, 11:03 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
No, 'half-wheeling' is when you're riding side-by-side with another rider, and you keep pushing the pace by moving forward by half a wheel, hence 'half-wheeling'. The rider beside you feels pushed to accelerate to match.

What you're describing is overlapping wheels.
Interesting. While I have not heard the term used in a while, people that I have ridden with have called overlapping wheels half-wheeling. I've learned something new today.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-30-21, 11:08 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Why, when people explain why something is rude, do you insist on arguing?
Same reason he doesn't wear a shirt or a helmet, and rides a bike with a rear wheel so wobbly he has to open the brake, but doesn't get the wheel fixed.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-30-21, 11:09 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Interesting. While I have not heard the term used in a while, people that I have ridden with have called overlapping wheels half-wheeling. I've learned something new today.
Originally Posted by datlas
Likes For datlas:
Old 08-30-21, 11:11 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The problem with half wheeling is the gradual increase in group speed. If you let the half wheeler go off the front, the group speed doesn't change, so problem solved.
And if that's the problem, you are correct.

Now, what if the problem is you're trying to teach Mr. Dooshy Half-Wheeler how not to ride off the front? Allowing him to continue riding off the front doesn't solve that problem.

Or...what if the problem is you're trying to actually ride with Mr. Dooshy Half-Wheeler because he's an otherwise nice guy whose company you enjoy? Allowing him to continue riding off the front doesn't solve that problem either.
Old 08-30-21, 11:11 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
On another forum, I was subjected to an emphatic and unanimous verbal beatdown because I stated that half-wheeling wasn't the same thing as lapping wheels.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 08-30-21, 11:23 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
And if that's the problem, you are correct.

Now, what if the problem is you're trying to teach Mr. Dooshy Half-Wheeler how not to ride off the front? Allowing him to continue riding off the front doesn't solve that problem.

Or...what if the problem is you're trying to actually ride with Mr. Dooshy Half-Wheeler because he's an otherwise nice guy whose company you enjoy? Allowing him to continue riding off the front doesn't solve that problem either.
Whatever. Dream up as many "problems" as you want, and solve them anyway you want, but they're not actually relevant to half wheeling.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-30-21, 11:31 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Whatever. Dream up as many "problems" as you want, and solve them anyway you want, but they're not actually relevant to half wheeling.
Incorrect.
Old 08-30-21, 11:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Why, when people explain why something is rude, do you insist on arguing?
Because if he did not he would not get as much attention and goad people into arguing on BF, which is his obvious goal.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-30-21, 11:36 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8264 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
On another forum, I was subjected to an emphatic and unanimous verbal beatdown because I stated that half-wheeling wasn't the same thing as lapping wheels.
Well, I certainly hope you corrected those doosh nozzles.
Old 08-30-21, 12:01 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Well, I certainly hope you corrected those doosh nozzles.
I tried without success, but as the 1655 Dutch national road champion and philosopher, Baruch Spinoza said, "Those who know, know."

Last edited by MoAlpha; 08-30-21 at 01:14 PM.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 08-30-21, 12:52 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Our strategy is to impromptu change the route. If the halfwheeler or surging rider on the "all together" ride is on front at the moment...........that right suddenly becomes a left and they're suddenly riding solo.

We had a guy on the weeknight a-ride in town where we were supposed to have a line that would try to ride up the middle to get to the front. We couldn't due to the route and newer folks suddenly change the route to get him away, so we had to literally have two or three guys slow with him and tell him to "go home".

I think the issue is they don't explain half wheeling correctly on all the popular little Youtube shows and such. It's always about inexperienced riders simply riding overlapped versus the surging bit. Ever seen a 100 person peloton/pack? Are they all lined up perfectly side by side like a phalanx of soldiers in the Roman army? No. Ever seen somebody "win" the paceline ride? Nope.

This is a more intricate pet peeve, but folks pretend they want to be "in" the rotation in a competitive ride then they won't pull through. They dawdle and give it a pre-schooler level "try". Strategy to slow the pace on purpose to help yourself or team, maybe. Quick way to get yelled at, certainly.
Old 08-30-21, 10:32 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2698 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Same reason he doesn't wear a shirt or a helmet, and rides a bike with a rear wheel so wobbly he has to open the brake, but doesn't get the wheel fixed.
Youve done the portola peloton thing and know that making sure you are riding shoulder to shoulder is not part of being a smooth and predictable rider. I am not a hazard. I spent 100$ on a 400$ 3 month old bike to get that rear wheel replaced, it was a big cost that I really didn't want to do, but I replaced it out of respect for my fellow riders. So no, I'm not just being obstinate and argumentative when saying half wheeling isn't dangerous, it's just that most people don't do the kind of rides where it's normal.
Old 08-31-21, 07:13 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
My reaction to half wheeling sometimes is that I will intentionally slow down and take it down a notch, which I admit is even more annoying than half wheeling.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-31-21, 07:27 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
My reaction to half wheeling sometimes is that I will intentionally slow down and take it down a notch, which I admit is even more annoying than half wheeling.
is that whole wheeling?
Likes For mrv:
Old 09-01-21, 08:37 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I am not a hazard.

Oh… you’re serious.
Old 09-01-21, 10:11 AM
LarrySellerz

Oh… you’re serious.
yes I'm an experienced cyclist despite my attire/bike, looks can be decieving.
Old 09-01-21, 10:12 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
yes I'm an experienced cyclist despite my attire/bike, looks can be decieving.
Your posting history says otherwise.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 09-01-21, 11:15 AM
LarrySellerz

I'm new to racing bikes but I bike as my main form of transport and used to deliver food year round as a job, so I like to think im an above average handler. Most people like to think that about themselves though haha
Old 09-01-21, 11:20 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
...used to deliver food year round as a job, I like to think im an above average handler.
No one doubts you can handle a calzone like a pro.
Old 09-01-21, 11:25 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I'm new to racing bikes but I bike as my main form of transport and used to deliver food year round as a job, so I like to think im an above average handler. Most people like to think that about themselves though haha
I drive ad my main form of transport, so I like to think I’m an above-average driver. I can go hop in an F1 race, right? Or even a local Spec Miata race?
Old 09-01-21, 11:32 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
I read somewhere that 90% of drivers think they're better than average.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-01-21, 12:33 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
... so I like to think im an above average handler.
Above average handlers don't crash with the frequency that you've related.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-01-21, 12:41 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
You're really over-thinking it. It's subtle, one of the nuances of riding for hours with other people.
It's like a group ride when one guy goes to the front and raises the speed a bit. Of course nobody is forced to follow him, but groups tend to try and stay together, matching the ebb and flow of speed due to terrain, wind, whatever. If it's just a brief increase of speed and everyone can remain comfortable, no big deal. If the leader starts hammering, some are going to chase and some are going to suck wheel and some are getting dropped, maybe.
Seems to me it is the people who respond to the "challenge" that are the problem. if one guy goes off the front and the fast guys follow to "keep the group together" and in fact tear the group apart ......

Fact is, a lot of riders simply lack the self-control to let another rider pull away. If they see someone going faster, they have to prove they can keep up. Otherwise, the instigator would simply go off the front, ride alone a while, and sheepishly slow and wait for the group.

It's all the guys (and it isn't always men, but ...) who Follow the fast guy who create the problem.

If I am with a group and want to keep the group together, I don't ride off the front too fast for some of the members and then blame some other guy.

I have seen this on "New Rider" rides, and "Recovery" rides, where some guy who can average 19 or 22 or much more, gets bored, and six other guys can't stand to have anyone think They couldn't go that fast .... and you have three new riders who don't know the route all alone 20 miles from home, and a bunch of macho boys racing back to the starting point where they will brag about how fast they went.

Last edited by Maelochs; 09-01-21 at 12:48 PM.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-01-21, 12:41 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Above average handlers don't crash with the frequency that you've related.
Watching a Grand Tour puts the lie to that statement.
Old 09-01-21, 12:44 PM
Maelochs

Yes it does .... because he will be on a long solo ride, and he wants to have other fast riders around to appreciate how fast he is. If he makes every ride a solo ride .... you have solved the problem of Mr. Shower-head being in the group ... he has solved it for you.

If he is really a nice guy, you would be able to talk to him about his habit and he would adjust. If not, he is just a Shower, and let him go.

IMO.

Last edited by Maelochs; 09-01-21 at 12:49 PM.
Likes For Maelochs:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.