Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ridley Compact Vs Ridley Noah RS - is carbon fiber all that?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-21, 09:15 AM
BigSilver

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The last bike I had was a gorgeous aluminum Somec with carbon fiber fork. Full carbon frames weren't nearly as common and out of my price range, but you definitely wanted the carbon fork. I never felt underbiked.

Fast forward 18 years and I find myself looking at Facebook Marketplace for a used bike, thinking I might ride on a trainer over the winter and try my hand at a few flat CAT 5 races in the spring and hope I don't get dropped too early. I have kids and don't have a lot of time to ride, so who knows if my plan will come together.

A Ridley Compact (SRAM Rival) and a Ridley Noah RS (SRAM Red/Force) have caught my eye. Both seem to be around 2012 vintage, are local to me so I can check them out in person, and seem to be in good condition. The Compact (aluminum with carbon fork) is about half the price of the Noah RS (carbon fiber) ($1,300 USD). I could afford either, but not keen to spend more if I'm not even going to be riding a lot outside, and not if I'm not going to notice much difference when I do ride outside.

So that's long way of asking if which bike I should get?. Is the Noah RS twice the bike?

Thanks.

Last edited by BigSilver; 11-06-21 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-06-21, 11:00 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by BigSilver
The last bike I had was a gorgeous aluminum Somec with carbon fiber fork. Full carbon frames weren't nearly as common and out of my price range, but you definitely wanted the carbon fork. I never felt underbiked.

Fast forward 18 years and I find myself looking at Facebook Marketplace for a used bike, thinking I might ride on a trainer over the winter and try my hand at a few flat CAT 5 races in the spring and hope I don't get dropped too early. I have kids and don't have a lot of time to ride, so who knows if my plan will come together.

A Ridley Compact (SRAM Rival) and a Ridley Noah RS (SRAM Red/Force) have caught my eye. Both seem to be around 2012 vintage, are local to me so I can check them out in person, and seem to be in good condition. The Compact (aluminum with carbon fork) is about half the price of the Noah RS (carbon fiber) ($1,300 USD). I could afford either, but not keen to spend more if I'm not even going to be riding a lot outside, and not if I'm not going to notice much difference when I do ride outside.
So that's long way of asking if which bike I should get?. Is the Noah RS twice the bike?

Thanks.
I know (well) 2 riders, both v-strong racers, who ride Noahs. One let me ride his for a few miles, a coupe years back...
I really liked it! And that's saying a lot considering I consider my Tarmacs, the best bikes I've ever ridden...
They're both still riding them, even though one has a 'Venge' and the other is considering a newer Ridley... but will keep his Noah...
Only way to know...
Go ride it!
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 11-06-21, 11:12 AM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
If you can, look at both and give both a test ride. I had a Ridley Fenix AL which was a really nice bike. The geometry on that bike led a little slower handling which wasn't that big a deal most of the time; when I switched bikes to a racier frame the sluggishness of the Ridley was more pronounced. But... that had nothing to do with frame material.

If you can afford both, I think comfort and feel are more important than the frame material and groupset. SRAM Red/Force will be lighter, but if they're the same vintage, the shift action should be very similar.