Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Learn how to ride a bike again

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-22, 05:12 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts

I remember when I first started Zwifting about 5 years ago I really got into it and spent a ton of time over the winter months racking up the points and virtual KM's down in the basement and thought this was the best thing since index shifters ( ha ha). At the time, i was also a fair weather rider so the bike would get stored around Sept. and not come out until the following year when the sun was high and warm. That spring after a long season of Zwifting I took the bike off the trainer to take it to the LBS to have them swap out my trainer tire and I felt like I had never ridden a bike before. What are brakes? what's steering? it felt so weird.

Well things have changed since then and now I ride as much as I can outdoors until I'm forced inside and this winter was no exception with January and February being brutally cold and snowy. Today it went above the freezing mark so I grabbed an old mtn. bike and went for a trip to the grocery store and it sure felt great. Not quite as awkward as that first winter of Zwifting but a little strange, that's for sure.

Can't wait for all that snow to melt and get back on the bike.
Likes For gthomson:
Old 03-03-22, 03:07 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
I haven't ridden outdoors since the middle of last October. This coming weekend might be my maiden 2022 outdoor ride if the weather holds up. It's been a crap winter for biking here.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-03-22, 05:41 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
that first ride after a long hiatus is always feels a bit weird. fortunately it wears off quickly.
Likes For spelger:
Old 03-04-22, 07:58 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
that first ride after a long hiatus is always feels a bit weird. fortunately it wears off quickly.
Yep, feels a bit weird for the first few minutes. But not a big deal. I actually quite like the renewed focus as I often get a bit too complacent near the end of the riding season.
Old 03-04-22, 01:48 PM
808HIcycler

Bikes: 2020 Scott addict RC 10, 2024 Polygon Siskiu D7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
The weirdest part about my first outdoor ride in four months last week was feeling the bike go forward and forgetting how twitchy it can be. It only lasted a couple miles and it felt normal again.
Likes For 808HIcycler:
Old 03-04-22, 06:30 PM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Hard part is clipping and and out of petals for me. Especially when you stop on a hill for a red light.
I bought quick clip in and out petals to make it easier now. I ride indoors all year around due to my wife’s health. So I ride outside just a few times a month.