Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

'72 Gold Raleigh Sports - done and on the road (pretty much)!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-11-10, 10:35 AM
buck mulligan
I'm shovel-ready!

Bikes: Raleigh Sports All-Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

After three solid months of work, I've finally finished rebuilding my 1972 "All-Gold Edition" Raleigh. I tore it down to loose parts and cleaned, polished, and lubricated every last bit of it. My wife thought I was crazy when she saw me using an old jeweler's screwdriver like it was a dental tool to get all of the hardened grime from the tight spaces around the spokes on the rear hub flanges, but it was worth it.

Now I have a lot of adjusting and piddly details to square away. In particular, the SA hub needs to be dialed in - as it stands right now, I have a two-speed (it's freewheeling in 1st gear; I'm guessing it's not supposed to do that). The brakes also need a bit of attention, and I'm having a bear of a time getting the seatpost tightened enough.

All that notwithstanding, I took it for a short ride yesterday afternoon with my son and our neighbors. Just a short, four mile jaunt to a local park overlooking Puget Sound. And that's when I discovered the other "component" that needs work - my legs! It's embarrassing how much they ached after such a short ride. Fortunately, spring is here and I'll get plenty of opportunities to ride, even if it's only to the pub and back.

Thanks to all of you on the C&V forum. Lurking (and, occasionally, participating) here gave me much of the knowledge and - probably even more importantly - motivation I needed to get the job done. Pics to follow soon!
Old 04-11-10, 12:21 PM
gbalke

Bikes: (3) 1970's Raleigh Sports, (1) 1968 Robin Hood 3 speed, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1969 Peugeot UO-18, 1971 Peugeot UO-08, 1980 Giant road bike, 1954 Humber, 1940ish Hercules Popular, 1963 Dunelt, 2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Can't wait to see pics of the Gold Sports, lots of them as required by the C&V bylaws. As far as your wife thinking that you are crazy, that will pass; she will KNOW you are crazy. But then again, most of us here are. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
Old 04-11-10, 03:04 PM
buck mulligan
I'm shovel-ready!

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Okay, here are some photos:

The full monty.

New cork grips and trigger shifter (to replace the awful twist-grip shifter).

Heron chain ring, all clean and shiny.

I got the shift cable pulley second hand - I guess that's called "patina."

It looks so different without all the crud caked in every nook and cranny.

Look at that hub gleam!

Of course, the real work doesn't show in the photos - old grease cleaned out, bearings replaced, spoke nipples soaked with penetrating oil so they will actually move - you know the drill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Photo 019..jpg (96.8 KB, 134 views)
Photo 045..jpg (99.4 KB, 80 views)
Photo 053..jpg (68.6 KB, 82 views)
Photo 036..jpg (69.4 KB, 81 views)
Photo 037..jpg (74.3 KB, 83 views)
Photo 050..jpg (77.7 KB, 85 views)
Old 04-11-10, 03:09 PM
gitarzan
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Beautiful. Nice job, all that work paid off. What's the wife think now?
Old 04-11-10, 06:20 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Awesome job!

That is the first gold Raleigh I have seen with a matching Prestube rack.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 04-11-10, 06:26 PM
Andrew F

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Beautiful ride! I had the same problem with my seat post, I ended up cutting a strip from a beer can as a shim, worked perfectly and have but several hundred miles on the bike since without a problem. I would suggest practicing on about 5 cans before you cut the actual shim, it's best to use fresh cans, so you will have to empty them yourself.:
Old 04-11-10, 06:27 PM
echotraveler

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thats very very very nice!
Old 04-11-10, 06:30 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I love that color. Never seen a gold one that clean. It goes great with chrome.
Old 04-11-10, 07:42 PM
buck mulligan
I'm shovel-ready!

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for the props, all. And Andrew, thanks for the tip re: cutting a shim from a beer can. I actually learned that trick from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, back when I was in high school.

But now I have a real problem - I've posted this over in the Mechanics forum, but not getting much feedback there. Right now, I have no first gear. Using both the "official" Sturmey Archer visual inspection method and the unofficial Sheldon Brown tension method, the adjustment appears to be pretty close to right. Second and third gears work fine, and there is a "neutral," freewheeling position in between the two, as there is supposed to be. But there is no first gear - it just freewheels.

My guess is that there is something wrong with the low gear pawls and/or springs, requiring that I tear the hub down (again!). Obviously, I'm not looking forward to it. Before I dig in, can anyone think of anything I'm not thinking of? Anything at all that might help me resolve this issue without repeating the whole overhaul?
Old 04-11-10, 08:34 PM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Might just be an adjustment with the barrel adjuster on the indicator chain? thats common on 3 speeds. sometimes they come loose.
Old 04-12-10, 06:49 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3800 Post(s)
Liked 6,614 Times in 2,592 Posts
It could be your trigger as the spring might not be strong enough to pull that much cable. Or any chance you put the low-gear pawls in backwards when you last overhauled the hub? Been there, done that.

Neal
Old 04-12-10, 07:33 AM
buck mulligan
I'm shovel-ready!

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
any chance you put the low-gear pawls in backwards when you last overhauled the hub? Been there, done that.
That's exactly what I'm afraid I might have done. If I had, would it simply freewheel, without any ratcheting/clicking sounds or anything?
Old 04-12-10, 07:44 AM
385xza

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No 1st gear !!

Originally Posted by buck mulligan
Thanks for the props, all. And Andrew, thanks for the tip re: cutting a shim from a beer can. I actually learned that trick from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, back when I was in high school.

But now I have a real problem - I've posted this over in the Mechanics forum, but not getting much feedback there. Right now, I have no first gear. Using both the "official" Sturmey Archer visual inspection method and the unofficial Sheldon Brown tension method, the adjustment appears to be pretty close to right. Second and third gears work fine, and there is a "neutral," freewheeling position in between the two, as there is supposed to be. But there is no first gear - it just freewheels.

My guess is that there is something wrong with the low gear pawls and/or springs, requiring that I tear the hub down (again!). Obviously, I'm not looking forward to it. Before I dig in, can anyone think of anything I'm not thinking of? Anything at all that might help me resolve this issue without repeating the whole overhaul?
I had a similar problem recently and believe it or not it ended up the length of the indicator rod being to long for the particular hub (It must have been swapped at some point) There are 2 lengths for th AW hub I had a spare short one which I fitted and all the adjustments then fell into place as per Sheldons advice.

385XZA
Old 04-12-10, 10:54 AM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by buck mulligan
Beautiful job with the restoration! And I hate to be a negative nancy...

But those fender-mount bolts really need a soak in Oxalic acid, or to be cleaned up with some lemon juice and steel wool.

The hub is beautiful, but those bolts are eyesores.
Old 04-12-10, 11:18 AM
buck mulligan
I'm shovel-ready!

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Maddox
Beautiful job with the restoration! And I hate to be a negative nancy...

But those fender-mount bolts really need a soak in Oxalic acid, or to be cleaned up with some lemon juice and steel wool.

The hub is beautiful, but those bolts are eyesores.
I considered taking a more aggressive approach with the rust on the fasteners, but ultimately I decided to simply give them a thorough going-over with a wire wheel on a Dremel tool and call it good (yes, I actually cleaned every single bolt, nut, and washer with the wire wheel - another thing that led my wife to conclude that I was crazy). I figured that even if I managed to make them entirely rust-free, it would just come back since there is no chrome left to protect them from the Seattle humidity. For the time being, I'm satisfied simply having the wrenching surfaces smooth and the threads clean and dressed. Later, if I want to, I figure I can replace the worst of them.

Last edited by buck mulligan; 04-12-10 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-12-10, 03:45 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
Very nice. Looks like it's hardly been ridden. The mens model is rarer than the womens.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-12-10, 10:00 PM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Suh-weet!
Old 04-13-10, 12:11 AM
buck mulligan
I'm shovel-ready!

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
any chance you put the low-gear pawls in backwards when you last overhauled the hub?
...and, it looks like we have a winner! The pawls were, in fact, installed backwards. Boy, do I feel dumb! I won't know for sure that the problem is solved until I get the wheel back on the bike and ride it again, but based on my experiments manipulating the indicator and spinning the cog by hand, it seems to be fixed. Thanks for the tip!

So I think I'll celebrate with a couple more pictures....

The brakes cleaned up nicely, as did the chrome around the headset and those wonderful little fork dimples.

Another view of the re-routed shift cable (including pulley), and the Prestube rack.

Front hub looking almost good as new.

Attached Images
Photo 028..jpg (69.8 KB, 27 views)
Photo 020..jpg (79.1 KB, 26 views)
Photo 002..jpg (98.3 KB, 22 views)
Photo 048..jpg (81.9 KB, 24 views)
Old 04-13-10, 08:48 PM
buck mulligan
I'm shovel-ready!

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Blast and tarnation!!!

I still don't have first gear. I am absolutely desperate - can anyone suggest what I should try next? It worked fine before I overhauled it (well, except for the whole "sticky and gummy because it was full of old, nasty grease" thing) - and now 2nd and 3rd work great, but low gear just freewheels. HELP!!!