Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

US Sec. of Transportation Buttigieg

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 03-02-21, 07:24 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts

The new US Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg addresses the National Bike Summit tomorrow.

“We think of trains, planes, and automobiles, but what about bikes, scooters, wheelchairs for that matter?” Buttigieg said during a recent interview with Axios. “Roads aren’t only for vehicles. We’ve got to make sure that pedestrians and individuals and bicyclists and businesses can all coexist on the same roadway.”

Hopefully, by that time someone will tell him bicycles ARE vehicles.

Oh! And...Alvey Adee, call your office!

Likes For tcs:
Old 03-03-21, 02:24 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
The new US Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg addresses the National Bike Summit tomorrow.

“We think of trains, planes, and automobiles, but what about bikes, scooters, wheelchairs for that matter?” Buttigieg said during a recent interview with Axios. “Roads aren’t only for vehicles. We’ve got to make sure that pedestrians and individuals and bicyclists and businesses can all coexist on the same roadway.”

I suspect he meant motor vehicles.
Old 03-03-21, 08:10 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
The Sec. of Transportation actually riding a bicycle in traffic and agreeing to speak at a bicycle conference? Promising.
Old 03-03-21, 09:34 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
On the one hand I think this may be good for cyclists.

On the other hand I think of what Ronald Reagan pointed out as the most terrifying phrase there is..."I'm from the government, I'm here to help."

How long before well-meaning advocacy falls victim to bureaucratic ineptitude or malfeasance and legislates the fun and practicality out of cycling.

Car sales down? Lobby for draconian cycling statutes under the guise of "safety" and make cycling a less attractive alternative.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 03-03-21, 09:46 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
The Sec. of Transportation actually riding a bicycle in traffic and agreeing to speak at a bicycle conference? Promising.
Especially given COVID demonstrating to lots of businesses the waste of needing commuters and expensive office buildings.

Originally Posted by BobbyG
On the one hand I think this may be good for cyclists.

On the other hand I think of what Ronald Reagan pointed out as the most terrifying phrase there is..."I'm from the government, I'm here to help."

How long before well-meaning advocacy falls victim to bureaucratic ineptitude or malfeasance and legislates the fun and practicality out of cycling.

Car sales down? Lobby for draconian cycling statutes under the guise of "safety" and make cycling a less attractive alternative.
Simple. Don't elect people to office who think this is a true-ism. They prove themselves right. Every time.
Old 03-03-21, 09:59 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Simple. Don't elect people to office who think this is a true-ism. They prove themselves right. Every time.
That's true! I will remember that the next time some one offers up the Reagan quote.

I will just reiterate my point that politicians and political parties seek out movements and groups whose growth and momentum they can harness and then divert for their own purposes which are often counter to the original aim of the smaller groups.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 03-03-21, 02:56 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
That's true! I will remember that the next time some one offers up the Reagan quote.

I will just reiterate my point that politicians and political parties seek out movements and groups whose growth and momentum they can harness and then divert for their own purposes which are often counter to the original aim of the smaller groups.
In other words talk is cheap.

Last edited by rydabent; 03-07-21 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-04-21, 06:56 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
When I think of cycling infrastructure, I think primarily of city and state roadways. It'll be interesting to see how much money we can print to improve it at the federal level.
Old 03-04-21, 08:06 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
I'm very happy with all the changes in roadways here in Jax, Fl. Luckily we don't waste our money on separated bike lanes or MUPs. Give me the simple bike lanes and I'm happy, especially the ones over major waterways.
Old 03-04-21, 08:32 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
When I think of cycling infrastructure, I think primarily of city and state roadways. It'll be interesting to see how much money we can print to improve it at the federal level.
Remember, though, that 60-70% of U.S. highway work is done with federal funds. Those state and local projects that aren't pork-barrel funded by the feds (and there's more than meets the eye!) are made possible by state money that's available because of the huge influx of federal money to the state.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 03-04-21, 12:14 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Remember, though, that 60-70% of U.S. highway work is done with federal funds. Those state and local projects that aren't pork-barrel funded by the feds (and there's more than meets the eye!) are made possible by state money that's available because of the huge influx of federal money to the state.
Right. Money we don't have, but will rather have to print.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 03-05-21, 11:52 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
How much more, on average, would it cost to add, say, a 4' shoulder on each side of a road when it is built?
I said "average" because we have roads, here in Vermont that have little or no shoulder before a steep wall of rock.
Relevant to the picture in the OP: Wouldn't it be safer to have that satchel on the rear rack?
Old 03-05-21, 12:42 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Relevant to the picture in the OP: Wouldn't it be safer to have that satchel on the rear rack?
Have you ever used a bikeshare bike? WHAT rear rack? There are no rear racks on a Capital Bikeshare bike. You bring your own bag. If the bag is small enough, you can put it in the small front rack. Otherwise, it's safest to wear your bag on your back.

p.s. DB Call a Bike are one of the rare bikeshare bikes with a rear rack.

Pete Buttigieg is US Secretary of Transportation, so he rides a Capital Bikeshare bike in Washington DC. Andreas Scheuer is the Federal Minister of Transport and Digital Infrastructure, but he chooses to ride his own bike with a rear rack in Berlin.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 03-06-21 at 12:37 PM.
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 03-16-21, 10:36 AM
rydabent
Banned

Lets be truthful, it is TAXPAYER money no matter where it comes from.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 03-16-21, 11:23 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
The amount varies a lot from state to state but, overall, 46.6% of road funding comes from the federal government.
Old 03-16-21, 03:30 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
Despite all your squawking it is good news that John Kerry (another bike rider) is in the current administration. He’s very tall and has been riding for a long time. Fully recovered now as they say.
Old 04-01-21, 09:00 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
Despite all your squawking it is good news that John Kerry (another bike rider) is in the current administration. He’s very tall and has been riding for a long time. Fully recovered now as they say.
That may be your opinion, but not mine.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 04-01-21, 09:39 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
wheel chairs on the street?
Old 04-01-21, 11:57 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,481 Times in 3,411 Posts
Just a friendly reminder, the topic is fine, let’s just keep this free of partisan politics.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 04-01-21, 02:27 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I've got to agree with what Secretary Pete said about it. Make sure that we can all coexist on the roadway, that's the bottom line.

And with a push to address our infrastructure, finally, it's a perfect time to advance the interests of cyclists.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 04-01-21, 05:21 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
wheel chairs on the street?
There are lots of sidewalks that are not wheelchair accessible. Hell, when I was using a knee-scooter and there were times I had to “take the lane,” because sidewalk. (Or trash day, and most days are trash day somewhere.)

And yes, people in cars have killed people using wheelchairs.

I’m sure there’s an “advocacy” sub-forum on a wheelchairforums somewhere where some people will blame the person using a wheelchair. (And I’m guessing those people are very “vocal.”)

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 04-03-21, 07:49 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by tcs

Oh! And...Alvey Adee, call your office!

Facebook has now publish a picture of him unloading his bike from a huge SUV a short distance from the Capitol. All is not what it seems.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 04-03-21, 08:29 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Facebook has now publish a picture of him unloading his bike from a huge SUV a short distance from the Capitol. All is not what it seems.
I always look to Facebook to get the most accurate and authentic information.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 04-03-21, 09:20 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by wgscott
I always look to Facebook to get the most accurate and authentic information.
There has been at least a half dozen of posts on this now. A picture is worth a thousand words. Sorry if you dont like the truth.

Last edited by rydabent; 04-03-21 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-03-21, 04:47 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by rydabent
There has been at least a half dozen of posts on this now. A picture is worth a thousand words. Sorry if you dont like the truth.
Especially a video taken on April 1st. (Did you also know the moon landing was fake and the Earth is flat?)

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.