Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Determining age of a Lightning Phantom?

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 01-27-22, 08:11 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts

I have two Lightning Phantom. One I think is from around 2000 and the other one probably just a few years old. I bought both used and have no history on them. I am trying to find out how old they are. I cannot find a serial number on these bikes and the manufacturer wasn't that helpful either. They told me that age can only be determined based on the components used and that they did not keep record on the manufactured Phantom. The newer of the bikes does not seem to have any factory components. Shifter set up is a SRAM XG Eagle 1x12 and the brakes are SRAM Guide Hydraulic disk brakes. As far as I know Lightning has been using Shimano components. One of the previous owners might have just bought the frame to build it up with other components. The older bike also has its component switched. Within the past 20 years many parts have been changed.
I could not find a serial number on either bikes. The Lightning P38 has one on the rear wheel slot but there is none on the Phantom. At least I did not see one.
Any idea how to determine the age? Thanks

Last edited by Harhir; 01-27-22 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-29-22, 11:11 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Have you asked the manufacturer?
https://www.lightningbikes.com

Yes, I'm pretty sure that the 1x12 setup is not stock.
Old 01-31-22, 11:35 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Have you asked the manufacturer?
https://www.lightningbikes.com

Yes, I'm pretty sure that the 1x12 setup is not stock.
Yes I contacted Lightning. But their responses was not helpful. And that 1x12 setup is not stock. Neither are the brakes. I assume the original owner just bought the frame and had the bike custom built,