Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Classic cyclist

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Classic cyclist

Old 06-22-22, 07:11 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 311 Posts
Classic cyclist

One of my buddies that does elder care sent me some photos.

Paramount tandem, Cinelli and a Mondio. He has Alzheimer's so he cannot recall what bike he did the record on, but he does recall the event, and that he and his son would absolutely fly on the Paramount tandem. He has a bunch of pics of him and Lance Armstrong etc.

Just thought I would share.
Old 06-22-22, 08:31 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,935 Times in 1,763 Posts
Ok....being a Bimmer guy I just have to admit I had a hard time seeing the bikes for the posters.

Man I miss my E46 ZHP!
Old 06-22-22, 09:29 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak

Man I miss my E46...
Assisting with the thread derail: I miss my E46, too

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 06-23-22, 12:51 AM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 139 Posts
That is extra cool (the bikes and rides and accomplishments, not the dementia).

This is a good reminder for me to start a little journal or something of my cycling activities for my later years.
Imagine what it was like to be riding in the late fifties and early sixties, it was another world.
Likes For HelpSingularity:
Old 06-23-22, 05:35 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
Cinelli looks like a pista. Hard to see exactly in the picture but looks like round fork tubes, track dropouts. Wolf ears, so pre-1960.

What's interesting that the fork crown is nothing I have seen on a Cinelli but the paint matches well to the frame.
Old 06-23-22, 05:49 AM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie)

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts
That's some amazingly awesome history!! Too cool, sad to hear about the Alzheimer's ( my father-in-law suffered with it ).

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Assisting with the thread derail: I miss my E46, too

DD
I miss mine too...

Old 06-23-22, 05:54 AM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
GTS series was always a hoot. Sweet poster.
Old 06-23-22, 07:51 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Originally Posted by iab
Cinelli looks like a pista. Hard to see exactly in the picture but looks like round fork tubes, track dropouts. Wolf ears, so pre-1960.

What's interesting that the fork crown is nothing I have seen on a Cinelli but the paint matches well to the frame.
My buddy is completely bike ignorant. These are the pics he sent me, and they are sorely lacking. I will try to get him to get some better pics!

1962, yikes. I wonder what the record is now? Unless my math is wrong, that averages out to 14+- miles per hour. Super impressive.

Last edited by Erzulis Boat; 06-23-22 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-23-22, 08:09 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
I was puzzled by 1962 date on that certificate, since the ABLA was the nationwide organization governing bike racing when I started competing in 1963. I guess it was issued long after the date on which the record was set.

From the USCF Wikipedia page:

"The Amateur Bicycle League of America was organized in 1920 and incorporated in New York in 1921. In 1975, the name was changed to the United States Cycling Federation."
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-23-22, 08:17 AM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by RobertUI
That's some amazingly awesome history!! Too cool, sad to hear about the Alzheimer's ( my father-in-law suffered with it ).

I miss mine too...

I had one very similar, a 330ci, in Steel Blue with a blue top, I regret selling it.
Likes For m.c.:
Old 06-23-22, 08:18 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Originally Posted by Trakhak
I was puzzled by 1962 date on that certificate, since the ABLA was the nationwide organization governing bike racing when I started competing in 1963. I guess it was issued long after the date on which the record was set.

From the USCF Wikipedia page:

"The Amateur Bicycle League of America was organized in 1920 and incorporated in New York in 1921. In 1975, the name was changed to the United States Cycling Federation."
Perhaps the original was lost/destroyed, and he had a re-issue. He was very active with USA Cycling his entire life, so getting a replacement would have probably been relatively easy I suppose.
Likes For Erzulis Boat:
Old 06-23-22, 11:26 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbob
The certificate is odd because the USCF didn't exist until 1975? it was called the ABL previously, yet the event date is 1962.
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
Perhaps the original was lost/destroyed, and he had a re-issue. He was very active with USA Cycling his entire life, so getting a replacement would have probably been relatively easy I suppose.
I'm sure there's an explanation. Note "Amateur Bicycle Record" in the text. Perhaps ABL records were reviewed in 1975 and the certificate issued then, or was a replacement, as noted above. The key is that "he was very active with USA Cycling," supporting the initial record and any issuance or re-issuance of the certificate. Likely there was no loss of contact during the years from 1962 to whenever the certificate pictured was created.

Pretty good time (32:25) for 449.5 miles, 13.87 mph, especially given the terrain, and likely the elapsed time (including stops). Very impressive. By comparison, many flesches are 240 miles in 24 hours, and brevets are similar. I can't imagine doing 4 centuries back to back and adding in another 50 for good measure. 32+ hours of exertion is really pushing it. Then think of the 6-day races. Holy cow we're a bunch of under-achievers.

Last edited by bamboobike4; 06-23-22 at 11:33 AM.
Likes For bamboobike4: