Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Old 09-22-22, 09:19 AM
rvman

Bikes: Jamis commuter 2 , engwe EP-2 Pro 750 watt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
I'm 65, been riding forever. I come from bicycle riding stock. My late Grandpa rode bikes until he was in his 70's. He built us bikes when we were kids. He was a true utility type rider. He took his bike fishing not far from his house, and of course errands.. I'm trying to keep the bicycling thing going. My oldest boy (40) is into downhill mountain biking. His 2 bikes cost more than a lot of cars do. lol. I carried my mountain bikes on the ships with me during my 20 years of USCG Service. I've ridden in 29 countries. There was always someone to go riding with when we pulled into Port. I sure miss that. Even with 2 total knee replacements, fused ankle, fractured back and all kinds of other structural problems duw to being a heavy equipment mechanic I still enjoy my seat time, and love working on, maintaining, and customizing my bikes to my needs.
Likes For rvman:
Old 09-22-22, 06:46 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
I had a 'senior moment' followed by a 'moment of clarity'. And a decent, normal ride.

Spent an hour getting ready to ride: dressed, all the tools, pump tires, water bottle, etc. Left cell phone on charger and reading glasses next to it.

A few miles in = Moment of mild Senior Panic. (actually more, 'awww, shat')

Then I remembered -

Before cell phones we did this risky sport every time with no communications or safety net.

Haha?

Last edited by Wildwood; 09-22-22 at 06:56 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 09-23-22, 06:33 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
Riding without a cell phone?! Almost as frightening as riding without: electronic shifting, hydraulic brakes, v-brakes, GPS, carbon frame/components, clipless pedals, 1x systems with pie plate sized low cog, etc. (feel free to add). Just a bunch of good ole riders on good ole bikes havin" a good ole time!
Likes For freeranger:
Old 09-23-22, 07:13 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Just a bunch of good ole riders on good ole bikes havin" a good ole time!
Old guy, old bike(s). Makes perfect sense to me.

Old 09-23-22, 10:24 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
need a cell phone or, how would I get on the guest network at the local brewhouse after a ride...?
Old 09-23-22, 10:48 AM
Charles Lathe

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts
I rode to the West Coast from my home in North Carolina this summer — 68 years old — without a cell phone because my wife and I just resisted them all these years. But after that trip, I decided to throw in the towel and get us both iPhones. Yesterday, I returned from a ten day rambling trip from home to the Atlantic coast and back to make it a two coast summer. The iPhone made the trip much easier. I was able to find grocery stores. I made a reservation for a campsite after I arrived at the state park and found that you can only get a site with a reservation. And, instead of making sure to make a Visa purchase every day so that wifey could track me, I just sent a text saying, “I’ll be camped at Howell Woods” or wherever.

On top of all that, I used an app called MapOut and it found some wonderful roads that I wouldn’t have found on my own. In fact, I came upon some hunters exercising their dogs on a quiet gravel road. They asked where I was coming from and where I was going. When I told them, they said, “How in the world did you find this road?” They were tracking their dogs with GPS collars and cell phones, but they were dumbfounded when I pointed to my phone and said, “The phone found it.”

I sure liked the pre-phone days, but I think they are behind me now.
Likes For Charles Lathe:
Old 09-30-22, 07:41 PM
don compton

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
When some dip**** less than 65yo messages this sub forum, just ignore him.
Old 10-08-22, 01:12 PM
Alzerbster

Bikes: 2021 Verve 2018 Cannondale Adventure

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 22 Posts
Hey all. I just turned 65 today, and am officially a senior citizen. I stated riding again a few years ago after I retired. I first bought a Cannondale Adventure. rode it for a year and then sold it and bought a Trek Verve 3. Now I want something else. I test rode a trek Checkpoint just a few days ago. Rode about 3 miles on it. It was certainly faster than my Verve. Just don't know if I would like a bike like that long term. Its the first bike with drop bars that I have rode. Now I'm looking at possibly a Canyon Grizl AL 7. I just don't know if I will find a bike with drop bars comfortable. Have any of you gone from flat bars to drops at this age, and liked it better? I do not do any road riding, but mostly rail trails which is crushed limestone, and light gravel, with some being asphalt. Most of my rides are in the 20 to 50 mile range. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-08-22, 01:46 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
When we moved in 2003 (I was 52), my wife and I only rode mtn.bike trails and rail-trails. Not near as many in our current location, so in 2006 (55 y.o.) we bought drop bar road bikes. I'm 71 now and mostly ride the drop bar road bike. Still own the flat bar mtn bike, but I broke my wrist 4 months ago and doc has asked me to forgo the mtn.bike for a while. Have done a couple of short road rides without a problem. You may find the drop bars even more comfortable than flat. I think you will feel "different" but shouldn't take long to adjust. Sounds like you may be a candidate for a gravel bike--might want to try one at the LBS.

Last edited by freeranger; 10-08-22 at 04:26 PM.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 10-08-22, 06:10 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Turned 78 yesterday. About two miles from home realized I'd put on long pants (37 degrees) but forgot the padded underwear. Guess my old butt is tough, finished 28 miles and can still sit in a chair without pain.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 10-09-22, 03:34 PM
igorgroks

Bikes: Masi Fixed Speciale.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Alzerbster
Hey all. I just turned 65 today, and am officially a senior citizen. I stated riding again a few years ago after I retired. I first bought a Cannondale Adventure. rode it for a year and then sold it and bought a Trek Verve 3. Now I want something else. I test rode a trek Checkpoint just a few days ago. Rode about 3 miles on it. It was certainly faster than my Verve. Just don't know if I would like a bike like that long term. Its the first bike with drop bars that I have rode. Now I'm looking at possibly a Canyon Grizl AL 7. I just don't know if I will find a bike with drop bars comfortable. Have any of you gone from flat bars to drops at this age, and liked it better? I do not do any road riding, but mostly rail trails which is crushed limestone, and light gravel, with some being asphalt. Most of my rides are in the 20 to 50 mile range. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
If all of your riding is on roads or hard dirt trails don't let them sell you a front shock. It is unnecessary added weight and complexity unless you are planning on hardcore off roading, in which case full suspension because the load is greater on the rear wheel in all riding.
Old 10-09-22, 04:41 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I have two bikes with drop bars and two with flat bars. I find the drop bars give me more hand placement options even though I ride mostly on the hoods and almost never all the way down in the drops. I'm 78 so flexibility is an issue. Flat bars seem to give me fewer problems with numb hands. I don't understand why.
Old 10-09-22, 05:54 PM
Alzerbster

Originally Posted by igorgroks
If all of your riding is on roads or hard dirt trails don't let them sell you a front shock. It is unnecessary added weight and complexity unless you are planning on hardcore off roading, in which case full suspension because the load is greater on the rear wheel in all riding.
Thanks, but yes I don't want a bike with front fork suspension. My Cannondale had it and I didn't really need or or like it. I agree its unnecessary weight, and not practical for the type of riding I do.
Old 10-09-22, 05:56 PM
Alzerbster

Originally Posted by Inusuit
I have two bikes with drop bars and two with flat bars. I find the drop bars give me more hand placement options even though I ride mostly on the hoods and almost never all the way down in the drops. I'm 78 so flexibility is an issue. Flat bars seem to give me fewer problems with numb hands. I don't understand why.
Hand numbness is one of the things I was worried about going to drop bars.
Old 10-09-22, 08:31 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
Hand numbness is one of the things I was worried about going to drop bars.
Only you know what brings your numbness on. For me with arthritis the more hand positions with drop bars the better I handle it and I use anti-vibration gloves ( made
for jack hammers) which are much better than bicycle gloves for me.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 10-09-22, 10:49 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
for the hands, happy with using bar gel and a second wrap on the tops of drop bars... almost like having Grab Ons...
Likes For McBTC:
Old 10-10-22, 07:12 AM
raymellott

Bikes: 2015 Trek FX 7.0 - modified to be better on the road than it was designed to be. Now, 2021 Domane.

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
To drop or not drop. That's the question.

For four years, I rode a flat bar Trek FX, but I also altered the cockpit quite a bit; along with a road cassette in the rear. In addition to slamming the stem, I cut down the handlebars to about 46cm; shortened the grips and added bar ends. All of which made me quite a bit more aero than otherwise. The downside of that flat bar bike was the thumb shifters, which I grew to detest, making me long for the shifters you'd find on a drop bar bike. And so, more recently I did buy a Trek Domane. Love the shifters. Other than that, if I had my druthers, I'd revert back to the flat bar bike. But not because of anything other than the undeniable fact that, all other things being 'equal' (the transmission being key) a flat bar bike is just less costly than a drop bar. But then, even with the Domane, I'm really NOT a follower of the crowd. My Domane has a kick stand. So I can park it standing up, anywhere. AND. I have a dropper post, so I can drop the seat when it's time to dismount. Lets me swing my leg over the seat in a way that I don't fall on my geriatric rear end.

Unlike you, though, all of my riding was and is on pavement. Don't have much use for gravel or dirt. So, there's that. Point I'm getting at is that if you're not unhappy with the notion of a flat bar bike, but you still feel the need to be more aero, you can achieve a lot of that with some bike mods that don't set you back too very much.
Likes For raymellott:
Old 10-10-22, 08:35 AM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 115 Posts
'
Curious
Why don`t you like the Trek anymore?
Old 10-10-22, 10:08 AM
Alzerbster

Originally Posted by roadsnakes
'
Curious
Why don`t you like the Trek anymore?
I guess its not that I dislike the Trek. I do like the bike, and I have added extras to it. LIke a Duotrap sensor, rear rack, fenders, Brooks saddle, the Ergon bar ends with the extended bar end grip. I have already taken those off the grip wasn't long enough to support my thumb position, and I found when I placed my hands on the upright extensions, I would keep them there for just a short time. The tires the Verve comes with suck. they felt so big and clunky, after the first 40 miles I changed them and put Marathons on. . I doubtt I would sell my Verve. I guess I was just looking for something different to try. I just don't know yet if i want to spend 1500 to 2000 dollars just to try something different i may not like. So I was just getting a feel for what others thought that have ridden both drop and flat bars. The 3 miles I test rode the checkpoint. I wasn't impressed, but then I don't think the fit was just right for me. It was a 58cm frame, and I think a 56 would have fit me better.
Old 10-11-22, 03:12 PM
benetga

Bikes: Trek 1.1, Nashbar Carbon105 , Specialized Rockhopper-SS, Aventon Aventure

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have and like both styles of bars. The ebike has flat bars with ergon gp4 grips which i really like and two road bikes with drops. Almost forgot, I've got a old MB that i converted to a SS with treking bars that work great also. I'm 65 and comfortable on them all.

Last edited by benetga; 10-11-22 at 03:15 PM. Reason: sentence correction
Likes For benetga:
Old 10-12-22, 09:01 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by Little Darwin
This is just a place holder for when I post here in just under 14 years.

Enjoy the wait!

Holding your place Little Darwin . 14 years have passed.
Enjoyed living each of them.
Maybe you won your namesake award?

Last edited by Wildwood; 10-12-22 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-12-22, 09:19 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

What a great Summer and Autumn, so far, for cycling!

Fixed up several bikes after my surgery in May. Routine maintenance for all.

Have been going for a good many rides since, nothing epic, but good saddletime.

I am sad as relatives and friends have been dying lately.

And grateful to not be amongst them.

Roll On! with vigor.

The time to enjoy is = today!

Have a good one.
Old 10-21-22, 11:38 AM
mdo53

Bikes: 2022 Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
69 and just started riding a Verve 2 this week. Wish I had started sooner.
Likes For mdo53:
Old 10-24-22, 07:21 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
I'm too young for the 65+ group, but I'm in the 50+ group, and rode yesterday with a buddy that's past 80 years old ... John is a total inspiration!

John had an idea for a late autumn gravel adventure, he'd found a route to see 6 round barns west of Minneapolis. He'd invited a number of folks but many had to drop for schedule conflicts, so it was going to be me, John, and Trenton (DAMn creator), but Trenton woke up feeling sick and didn't think he'd be able to finish the route. So it was just the two of us!

It was 75 miles of mostly gravel roads, less than 2,000 ft of climbing (mostly flat farmlands). For a couple riders that have done The DAMn and many 100-mile gravel rides, this sounds like a fun day of riding, but the wind came up to really challenge us! We was reports of sustained winds over 25 mph, and gusts over 40 mph, and in the open farmlands, there's no shelter! Our route had us ride into the winds for the first 30 miles, than 14 miles of crosswinds, before getting some cross-tail winds - but somehow, there was very little a pure tailwind.

Because of the tough conditions, we were too focused on controlling our bikes that we missed 3 of the 6 barns

John is a contributing author to Riding Gravel and has a number of posts I think folks in this group would enjoy: https://www.ridinggravel.com/author/john-ingham/

Here are pictures of the 3 barns we spotted and our bikes at the gas station for some cold Coke!

Also, John and I were involved in the creation of a documentary film about The DAMn, John is featured in this promo talking about the life of the mind and exploring.

If you're on Amazon Prime, here's a link to the full film: https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Spirit-.../dp/B0844XLKXJ

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 10-24-22 at 07:27 AM. Reason: fixing unfinished post
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 10-25-22, 02:07 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
Just got TURPed

Lying in my hospital bed, tube in my weenie, bored af, checking hospital menu, gonna be here a coupla days, can’t ride for 3 weeks, tiny cellphone keyboard sucks but getting 4 bars 5G, Dow Jones is up, life is good. Peace !

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.